AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Rate of house number progression  (Read 4183 times)

Super Mateo

• Last Login: Today at 06:11:00 AM
Re: Rate of house number progression
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »

Chicago has a very logical numbering grid with the exception of numbers between Madison Street and 31st Street.  The numbers are 800 to the mile, with 1200 between Madison and Roosevelt (12th), 1000 between Roosevelt and 22nd, and 900 between 22nd and 31st.

800 to the mile is pretty regular system throughout Chicagoland.  Even my own city, Joliet, has 800 to the mile.

Chicago's system also puts all even numbers on the north or west sides of the street while odd numbers are on the south or east.

Here in Tinley and most (all?) of the southwest suburbs, we use the Chicago system with Madison and State as the origin.  Addresses are consistent from one village to the next.  It makes things much easier to find based on address alone, if GPS or similar were to fail or not be available.

In one neighborhood I used to be quite familiar with, house numbers increase by 6 as one heads west, but the pattern breaks when the imaginary line for the next avenue is crossed. 7413, 7419, 7425, 7431, 7437...then it skips up to 7501, 7507, 7513, etc. It's all on the same block.

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 02:34:34 PM
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 10:33:14 AM »

Philly goes by streets in from the Delaware River near Center City and numbered streets go North-South and increase in number going westward.  Broad St, which is the traditional name for what would be 14th St, is the east/west dividing line for the city.  Market St is the north/south dividing line.  Broad and Market meet in the center courtyard of City Hall, which can only be reached by foot.  House numbers increase on east/west streets from Delaware Ave., while they increase on north/south streets from Market St. using a grid system of 100 blocks.

Baltimore and DC use a 100 block grid system, with Baltimore St being the north/south divider and Charles St. being the east/west divider.  DC uses the Capitol rotunda as the dividing point.  with numbered streets running north/south and increasing in number the farther you go from the Capitol. Lettered east/west streets go up the alphabet as you move farther away. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

apeman33

• Last Login: October 13, 2019, 01:21:13 AM
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2016, 01:20:38 AM »

Pittsburg, Kansas, where I live, has a crapton of weird glitches in its street addressing system. The odds and evens switch sides of the street when crossing Broadway. If a block is interrupted by a street that ends in a T intersection, the split side progresses but the unsplit side doesn't. And they may not catch up to each other for a mile, so you might be at 705 W. Rose and be across the street from 810 W. Rose.

So of course, the increment by which each house increases isn't consistent at all. My side of my block: Houses go up by 2. I'm between 209 and 213. The other side of the street, same thing: I'm across the street from 212 and 214 is on the corner.

The street behind me? 210 is the second house and the house across the alley behind me is 226.

If you're looking for a house in Pittsburg, landmarks might be a better way to navigate than house numbers (Nope, block numbers aren't on the street signs).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.