AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solar eclipse 2017  (Read 12736 times)

Duke87

• Last Login: November 17, 2017, 10:18:47 PM
Re: Solar eclipse 2017
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2017, 07:08:37 PM »

So some chose to try to make money while others didn't.

And among those who did, some were better at it than others, no doubt!

Indeed. Someone with a normally free parking lot who charged a few bucks, made a few bucks. A farmer who decided to let a field lay fallow in order to sell plots in it to campers lost money because their income from those sales would not have been sufficient to offset the opportunity cost of not having crops to sell.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

• Last Login: Today at 09:58:07 AM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »

So some chose to try to make money while others didn't.

And among those who did, some were better at it than others, no doubt!

Indeed. Someone with a normally free parking lot who charged a few bucks, made a few bucks. A farmer who decided to let a field lay fallow in order to sell plots in it to campers lost money because their income from those sales would not have been sufficient to offset the opportunity cost of not having crops to sell.

Well, unless that field was never going to produce a viable crop anyway. Farmers have many fields, and not all of them are in use at all times. I doubt that any of these farmers, apocryphal though they may be, actually plowed under their entire land!

But even if they did, the one who got word out, put together a web site, got his field listed on the official list of viewing sites, and booked up a number of advance sales made more money than the one who just slapped up a plywood sign and hoped for passersby. That's the comparison I'm making.

ZLoth

• ImaTech!

• Last Login: November 08, 2017, 01:40:53 AM
    • List of links
« Reply #277 on: October 07, 2017, 02:11:57 AM »

From Sacramento Bee:

A 10-year-old went to Oregon to see the eclipse. His school declared him a truant.
A family trip to see the total solar eclipse in Oregon this year resulted in a letter from Breen Elementary School declaring a Rocklin 10-year-old a truant after he missed three days early in the school year.

The letter warned Richard and Lilia Wilson that they must ensure their son attends school after he accrued the unexcused absences. A list of potential ramifications included the school seeking prosecution of both parents and their son if they donít comply, which is allowed under the stateís education code.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 04:28:28 PM
« Reply #278 on: October 07, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »

Poor kid, having school start by the middle of August.

When I took my student out of school for 8 days for an astronomical event in 2012, all I had to do was tell the principal it was an educational trip, which it was.

Roadgeekteen

• fuck the jets and yankees

• Last Login: Today at 04:35:30 PM
« Reply #279 on: October 08, 2017, 08:36:32 PM »

From Sacramento Bee:

A 10-year-old went to Oregon to see the eclipse. His school declared him a truant.
A family trip to see the total solar eclipse in Oregon this year resulted in a letter from Breen Elementary School declaring a Rocklin 10-year-old a truant after he missed three days early in the school year.

The letter warned Richard and Lilia Wilson that they must ensure their son attends school after he accrued the unexcused absences. A list of potential ramifications included the school seeking prosecution of both parents and their son if they donít comply, which is allowed under the stateís education code.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Some schools are big dicks. I had a classmate miss a week of school to visit family in tiwan when I was in elementry school. He blogged about it and it was really cool to see. We got to comment on his blog and he personally responded to me :D.
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.