News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA 28 Construction Updates

Started by PAHighways, November 03, 2009, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 25, 2012, 02:00:13 PM
Though I will say, with certain exceptions (like rush hour), that the current work zone situation is actually an improvement over the pre-work zone normal conditions.

I agree with you about the SB traffic.  Being able to go from PA-8 to I-279 without stopping is awesome.

rickmastfan67

Finally got to travel PA-28 NB between I-279 and Millvale.

They finally have the new 3B signage up going NB.  I'll try to post a few pictures later once I get them off the camera memory card.

Mr_Northside

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/news/the-roundabout/34606-the-rest-of-the-31st-street-bridge-to-close-monday

Also, the 31st Bridge is about to close entirely (for everything - bikes & peds included) for pretty much the rest of the year.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

CanesFan27

Found this today on the new P-G Photo Archive blog.

PA 28 at St. Nicholas Church in 1952.  What a much different road it was then!

http://pgdigs.tumblr.com/post/28871074884/dec-5-1952-since-it-closed-in-2004-st

Mr_Northside

The demolition of the un-reconstructed segments of the 31st St. Bridge that connect to 28.....

Looking at the section over the railroad tracks, where the new ramps will connect...

Where the recently rehabbed (a couple of years ago) sections of the 31st St. Bridge meet the now-to-be-rebuilt sections of bridge.

Where River Road (that also has the connection to Herrs Island) meets the 31st. St. Bridge....

View from underneath of beams that have yet to come down....

Looking at the segment that connected to Rt. 28. 

Apparently those last beams are coming down this Thursday....
http://triblive.com/news/transportation/2379795-74/bridge-route-penndot-traffic-street-beams-allegheny-closed-river-spokesman
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Mr_Northside

A shot (though not the greatest, came out darker than I expected) of the missing segment:

Mr_Northside

From a couple of days ago (gotta enjoy nice October days while they last.....)

The first beam going up over the back-channel of the Allegheny River (connecting to the already rehabbed 31st St. Bridge.)

Looking up at where the bridge will connect to River Ave (and Herr's Island), and cross the railroad, and eventually Rt. 28.
New beams & such are waiting to be hoisted up.

It was a neat biking amongst the bridge beams along the trail.  Glad they've been able to keep the trial open during construction.

While the "new" aspects of the Rt.28 @ 40th St. Bridge / Millvale construction are done and in place, PennDOT is now rehabbing the existing Millvale stretch (including, to my chagrin, a couple-weeks closure of NB 28-to-Millvale exit ramp).

More work in the Millvale area.  The crews to the right of the sidewalk are about to do guardrail replacement.

View from River Ave of the excavation for where Rt. 28 will go beneath the access to the 31st St. Bridge & Rialto St.

View of the Rt. 28 progress towards downtown (from River Ave.)

From Herr's Island - Looking across the back-channel of the Allegheny toward Rt. 28 & Rialto St, with a view of beams waiting to be hoisted into place

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on October 23, 2012, 01:17:18 PM
View from River Ave of the excavation for where Rt. 28 will go beneath the access to the 31st St. Bridge & Rialto St.

Seems like they will be moving NB traffic into that excavation area sometime this month if I've read this article correctly.

Mr_Northside

PAHighways

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on November 14, 2012, 01:38:45 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 11, 2012, 12:48:22 AM
Seems like they will be moving NB traffic into that excavation area sometime this month if I've read this

Yup.  This Friday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/region/route-28-traffic-to-shift-to-new-section-friday-662020/

You going to try to get some pictures if the weather is nice showing that being used? ;)

Mr_Northside

I'm hoping to get some bike riding in this week since the weather is supposed to be pretty great for November... So more likely than not I'll try and get something.

Mr_Northside

The weather was nice, but this getting dark so early sucks.  It was a pleasant bike ride though.

They appear to have most of the beams up across the back channel of the Allegheny. 

Looking at the ongoing excavation where the 31st Bridge will interchange with PA-28 & Rialto St.  You can see the NB traffic driving in the "pit".

Looking SB from River Ave:  You can see the shifted NB traffic.  You can see the end of the barrier separating the future off-ramp to the 31st St. Bridge from the new lane(s).  And also, the new light-posts (waiting light fixtures).

A NB view of where the interchange will be, looking down at NB traffic using the new lane, while SB traffic is up against the hill.

Mr_Northside

A 60 degree day last Saturday (1-12-2012) was a good chance to get in a bike ride - though non-paved stretches were a bit muddy......

A view of the new beams from the edge of River Ave.

View of the new parts of the 31st St. Bridge from the trail below.  Not much new has been added since last November. (The small beam in the forefront is the only thing that stands out)

Looking down into the "pit" from River Ave.... It looks like they've done some stabilization work, though I would guess it temporary, as it doesn't seem like it will be wide enough for 4 lanes if it's permanent.

In the last week or two this sign replaced the 2 separate signs for Millvale & North 28, respectively. 

Personally, as the project progressed, I thought a sign like that would be good for the newer overhead sign structure:

And would have kept the former signs (or straight-up replacements) on the old structure at the split.
But no one asked my opinion, so I digress....

And finally, the ped crossing has working flashing lights (button activated).  I didn't want to bother trying it since I wasn't crossing, but while I was further up the walkway, someone else used them (hence the crappy added pic)

In the couple of days since, they've gotten a lot of demolishing work done on the St. Nicholas Church, though nothing worth getting a picture of on Saturday from my vantage points.

mgk920

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 14, 2013, 07:35:30 PMAnd finally, the ped crossing has working flashing lights (button activated).  I didn't want to bother trying it since I wasn't crossing, but while I was further up the walkway, someone else used them (hence the crappy added pic)

In the couple of days since, they've gotten a lot of demolishing work done on the St. Nicholas Church, though nothing worth getting a picture of on Saturday from my vantage points.

The City of Appleton, WI just installed those flashing pedestrian crossing signs at a couple of crossings on College Ave just east of the city's downtown area last summer, where the street passes through the Lawrence University campus.  They are motion/proximity activated.

Mike

Mr_Northside

Route 28 progress as of 2/15/2013:

They have beams put up over the bike trail and the railroad....

It was kind of neat biking under and looking up at the "skeleton" of the future overpass here....

Beams on both sides of the pier in between the trail and the Allegheny River back-channel

New steel beams from the NB on ramp to the future bridge over Rt. 28

Hopefully they're getting ready to get the deck on the bridge....

Where River Rd & the Herr's Island access road will once again connect to the 31st St. Bridge & Rt. 28.

The new beams over the railroad tracks.  You can't see it from my pics here, but the beams currently extend over the pier, and a couple of feet (of each) hang over the depressed NB lane of Rt. 28.

Picture of the under-construction interchange (Yes... with horrible light) from the trail heading to downtown from Millvale.

Mr_Northside

And it don't stop.....

View of the progress of the 31st St. Bridge connection to River Ave and PA-28 from the bridge to Herr's Island.

Last time I was here in mid-February, they had the beams in place connecting to the NB ramp.  Now they have the SB ramp beams attached too.

New steel beams for the connection from the 31st St. Bridge to River Ave/Herr's Island

Progress on the 31st St. Bridge from the trail underneath.  (Last time it was just the beams overhead)

Hopefully it won't be too long until they can start pouring the deck.

Mr_Northside

Things are coming along....

A single arm support for the "arrow" sign for the 31st St. Bridge exit (SB).  They recently renamed the bridge after a veteran, so it will be interesting to see what name goes on that sign.

The construction zone just south of the 31st St. Bridge; they're getting some lights on the lightposts, and also a single-arm support for the NB exit for the bridge (like the SB lanes)

31st St. Bridge connected to the ramp to NB 28.

Bridge connection to River Ave. (and some sidewalk work)

Nice new concrete deck on the wider reconstructed end of the 31st St. bridge, and a sign arm most likely for lane assignments.

Looking toward PA-28, at the new concrete, decorative lights, etc... There is room for another lane here that wasn't there before.

rickmastfan67

Nice to see that the access to River Ave has been restored. :)  I'll go mark that as re-opened in OSM. ;)

Mr_Northside

Looking under the ramp, the beams (or at least, most of the beams) for the bridge over PA-28 are in place, and they're making the wall supporting it look more aesthetically pleasing.

Mr_Northside

Route 28 traffic pattern to change today
Northbound traffic is now using the ramps to the 31st St. Bridge, and by the end of the week both southbound lanes will be under the new bridge......

Cars using the ramps as the northbound thru lane.

Northbound traffic descending the new on-ramp

Nice new concrete deck.  Jersey barriers keep the Rt. 28 traffic from accessing the 31st. St. Bridge/River Rd & Vice Versa.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 05, 2013, 09:31:30 PM
Route 28 traffic pattern to change today
Northbound traffic is now using the ramps to the 31st St. Bridge, and by the end of the week both southbound lanes will be under the new bridge......

And now updated in OSM. ;)

Henry

Gotta love those new decorative bridges, especially with the novelty lights lining them! :sombrero:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mr_Northside

New overhead signs for 579/279/376 & E. Ohio St. for SB traffic, and covered up signs for the 31st St. Bridge for NB traffic.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 21, 2013, 10:38:52 AM
New overhead signs for 579/279/376 & E. Ohio St. for SB traffic, and covered up signs for the 31st St. Bridge for NB traffic.

As I predicted it!  I thought those two exits would get numbers!  Now, let's see if they add numbers for them coming NB for the ramps under the Veterans Bridge.  Are these the only signs up with new numbers for those ramps?  Or are the new gore signs with #'s up too?

Still, I'd thought that the two separate ramps at "1A" would have gotten separate numbers.  Still, nice to see numbers for them finally!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.