News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

QuoteApril 9: Road sign-style signs being used for something other than directing traffic on a road. Must be used as a sign (so nothing like using a sign to seal a hole in a fence or as a ramp or something). Examples: identifying a building or state DOT facility, advertising (so long as it's close enough that you could mistake it for a bona fide road sign), wayfinding in the hallways inside a building, signs directed at pedestrians in a rest area, etc.

I just took a picture that would be perfect for this. This is a sign mounted in the hallway of IDOT's district 3 headquarters, directing people to certain rooms.

20170324_114221 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

jbnv

QuoteApril 9: Road sign-style signs being used for something other than directing traffic on a road. Must be used as a sign (so nothing like using a sign to seal a hole in a fence or as a ramp or something). Examples: identifying a building or state DOT facility, advertising (so long as it's close enough that you could mistake it for a bona fide road sign), wayfinding in the hallways inside a building, signs directed at pedestrians in a rest area, etc.

At a Louisiana rest stop:

Squeezed text by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Michael

I have quite a few!

The Pit Stop convenience store in Weedsport has road-themed signs in the store.  Some of them can be seen in this picture:

Here's a picture from Steve's MA US 44 page:

These next pictures are ones I took myself:

This sign was in Destiny USA in Syracuse when the expansion opened:

I looked at the sign up close, and it looked to be MUTCD compliant

These signs are for people crossing a service road at Darien Lake from the theme park to the Performing Arts Center:

This sign is in the Broome County transit center in Binghamton:

This one might not count for the challenge:

I saw it in a service plaza on the Thruway coming back from Darien Lake the same night as the picture above

MNHighwayMan

QuoteApril 10, 2017 Challenge: Warning flags (real flags or metal look-a-likes) attached to signs other than speed limit signs.

Flags drawing attention to the road leading to IA-316 South in Runnells after 316 was turned back within the city itself

US71

QuoteApril 10, 2017 Challenge: Warning flags (real flags or metal look-a-likes) attached to signs other than speed limit signs.

Road Construction during the US 71/I-49 upgrade
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

paulthemapguy

An old photo from Gibson City, IL

IL-009-047NN by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Ian

Unfolded signs with flags attached for a temporary truck inspection station at a rest area along I-87 (Adirondack Northway) southbound near Glens Falls, NY. These were taken on August of 2011.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US71

April 11, 2017 Challenge: Let's get ugly. Ugly /Misshapen shields, ugly fonts

LA 1 at Shreveport

AR 178 near Flippin

MO 150 and MO 7

Jim

Quote from: US71 on April 11, 2017, 09:59:32 AM

These fortunately didn't last long on the Northway in Latham, New York.  June 25, 2009.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jbnv

Quote from: US71 on April 11, 2017, 09:59:32 AM

In before the peanut gallery posts its entire collection of Clearview signs.

Ugly US 51 Sign by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

Ugly LA 39/47 Route Signs by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

LA 1186 Route Sign with ugly LA 107 detour sign by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

formulanone

Somewhere, there's a backstory to this sign:

US71

Quote from: formulanone on April 11, 2017, 02:08:23 PM

Contractor or county install is my guess

Eth

[extremely non-standard FL 100 marker]

The unexplained hand-drawn circle-ish shape is what really completes it.

- - -

Lean that state shape back (and squeeze some text, at least on the 53). Both from Winder, GA:

MNHighwayMan

QuoteApril 11, 2017 Challenge: Let's get ugly. Ugly /Misshapen shields, ugly fonts

I posted these Sibley County creations monstrosities in the good/bad/ugly sign thread, but they definitely fit this challenge, too. Wide shield outlines on square blanks with absurd spacing between the digits. I just don't get it.

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 11, 2017, 04:53:00 PM
QuoteApril 11, 2017 Challenge: Let's get ugly. Ugly /Misshapen shields, ugly fonts

I posted these Sibley County creations in the good/bad/ugly sign thread, but they definitely fit this challenge, too.

Look better if the numbers were closer together

Ian

Old, but misshapen. This is (possibly were) along US 1/2 in Houlton, Maine, at the north end of the concurrency.

Also in Maine, but much newer. The first is on US 1A in Hampden, and the second on US 2 in Bangor, next to the Eastern Maine Medical Center. This style of shield is unfortunately pretty common throughout the state.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jwolfer

I have a picture of that.  I posted on the Florida thread before.  Very hideous!

LGMS428

hotdogPi

QuoteApril 12, 2017 challenge: Snow south of the 37th parallel. When you post your photo, mention where the photo was taken. (And obviously, it must be a road-related photo.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jbnv

QuoteApril 12, 2017 challenge: Snow south of the 37th parallel. When you post your photo, mention where the photo was taken. (And obviously, it must be a road-related photo.)

Hammond, LA.

Louisiana Snow 2008-12-11 by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

Houston, TX.

Houston Snow 2009-12-04 by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

formulanone

Decatur, Alabama:

Eth

Decatur, Georgia (crossover from the Street Sign Name Game thread):

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on April 12, 2017, 05:22:35 AM

Antarctica. :bigass:

South Pole Traverse June 2006 [Public domain], by Peter Rejcek, The Antarctic Sun, U.S. Antarctic Program, from Wikimedia Commons

US71

Is that 37th North or 37th South?

State Line Road Fort Smith, AR / Arkoma, OK

empirestate

QuoteApril 13, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of signs or markers in the field that show a route number, but are intended primarily for internal or official use.

Examples would be NY's or VT's reference markers (or the bridge markers in Monroe County, NY), PA's LRS markers, CA's bridge/structure ID signs, and so forth. Better still, find something more obscure!

Michael

Here's a picture I took of an old NY 31B reference marker:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.