News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

Hutchinson Parkway northbound:

Not sure if it's big enough, but it's certainly green.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

AlexandriaVA

The one of FedEx Field is a twofer, both FedEx and the Skins.

chays

One of the reasons I made this the daily challenge was to see how prevalent this practice is.  Some of these look ridiculous.  That Washington Nationals logo looks like a rogue add-on after the original installation.  The FedEx/Redskins one is a bit over the top as well. 

Are these MUTCD compliant?

Mapmikey

Quote from: chays on January 25, 2017, 05:18:36 PM
One of the reasons I made this the daily challenge was to see how prevalent this practice is.  Some of these look ridiculous.  That Washington Nationals logo looks like a rogue add-on after the original installation.  The FedEx/Redskins one is a bit over the top as well. 

I believe most (if not all) Nationals logos have been removed from signs in Maryland

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 25, 2017, 07:24:09 PM
Quote from: chays on January 25, 2017, 05:18:36 PM

I believe most (if not all) Nationals logos have been removed from signs in Maryland

And from a sign on I-395, but I can't remember which side of the river it was on.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

QuoteJanuary 25 Challenge: Commercial logos on BGS (green directional signs)

Olympic Rings on a BGS along I-85 in Charlotte:

hotdogPi

QuoteJanuary 26 Challenge: Photos that are valid for two or more previous challenges. In your post, mention which previous challenges they are (you only need descriptions of the challenges, you don't need to search to see which days they were). If a photo has already been posted to this thread, it can't be posted here again for this challenge.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

bassoon1986

Here's the full list so you don't have to search through 11 pages worth of challenges:

January 2, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of wrong-way concurrencies between an Interstate and its parallel US route companion, or any pair of routes that are generally parallel along the same corridor for a substantial distance (not just routes that happen to have the same cardinal directions posted.)

January 3, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of county route shields that are not the standard pentagon (or even an attempt at one). Squares, circles, diamonds, county outline cut-outs–let's see 'em!

January 4, 2017
Post photos of one or more BGSs together that show at least one interstate, one US, and one state route shield.

January 5 challenge:
Post a picture where a route number in the picture and the speed limit are identical, and both are shown in the picture. The route number shown does not have to be the road the picture is on.

January 6th challenge: 
Post photos showing two consecutive route numbers (need not be the same route type).

January 7:
Post a picture of two or more BGSs mounted to something other than a gantry.

January 8 challenge:
'BEGIN' route markers

January 9, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of error shields (wrong shield shape/route type) other than US for state or state for US.

January 10, 2017
Challenge: Post signs featuring the names of famous people on them.
Rules:
—Official road/highway signs only.
—Must include at least first and last name.
—Exclude signs giving only commemorative or ceremonial highway names.
—Exclude persons already honored on official currency or with a national holiday.

January 11 challenge:
Post a picture that shows sub-$2 gasoline, while the focus of the image is road-related.

January 12 challenge:
A highway sign acknowledging where a major politician, entertainer or historical figure has lived or was born.

January 13 challenge:
Inappropriate use of wide shields.

Jan 14 Challenge:
Post pics of signage that is a little too on the nose, makes you go "duh", or unintentionally reveals a larger truth.  Here's your chance to be creative...

January 15th challenge: 
Official highway signs that are nowhere near anything specified in the MUTCD.

January 16, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of hilariously complicated arrow signs (diagrammatic freeway signs, overhead intersection lane assignments, curve/intersection warning signs, etc.).

January 17, 2017, challenge:
A BGS with five or more shields on it.

January 18, 2017
Challenge: Post any sign containing a 1, 18, or 2017.

January 19, 2017
Challenge: Post guide signs on which a route number is given in text rather than on a shield.

January 20, 2017
Challenge: Post signs including at least the first and last name of a U.S. President (sitting, past or future at the time of the photo).

January 21, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of bannered route shield assemblies containing at least one banner other than Business (or BUS), Alternate (or ALT) or Truck.

(So, it can include any of the above types, as long as it also contains a banner other than those three. Thus, "TEMP BUSINESS" would be permitted, but "ALT TRUCK" would not.)

January 22, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of any array of BGSes that show shields of three or more different interstates.

January 23, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of unpaved state-level (or international equivalent) highways.

January 24 Challenge:
Pictures of routes that have been eliminated/turned back

January 25 Challenge:
Commercial logos on BGS (green directional signs)

empirestate

Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 26, 2017, 10:17:50 AM
Here's the full list so you don't have to search through 11 pages worth of challenges:

Which I just did, and typed up a list too... Oh well, your list is more comprehensive than mine. :) We'll use it again for an end-of-month catch-up, to be posted soon.

Quote from: 1 on January 26, 2017, 06:12:01 AM
January 26 Challenge: Photos that are valid for two or more previous challenges. In your post, mention which previous challenges they are (you only need descriptions of the challenges, you don't need to search to see which days they were). If a photo has already been posted to this thread, it can't be posted here again for this challenge.

To clarify, a single photo that qualifies for two or more challenges?

I'm thinking the famous people, Presidents and birthplace Challenges will make for easy answers to this; perhaps an exception?

hotdogPi

Quote from: empirestate on January 26, 2017, 10:36:02 AM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 26, 2017, 10:17:50 AM

Which I just did, and typed up a list too... Oh well, your list is more comprehensive than mine. :) We'll use it again for an end-of-month catch-up, to be posted soon.

Quote from: 1 on January 26, 2017, 06:12:01 AM
January 26 Challenge: Photos that are valid for two or more previous challenges. In your post, mention which previous challenges they are (you only need descriptions of the challenges, you don't need to search to see which days they were). If a photo has already been posted to this thread, it can't be posted here again for this challenge.

To clarify, a single photo that qualifies for two or more challenges?

I'm thinking the famous people, Presidents and birthplace Challenges will make for easy answers to this; perhaps an exception?

Yes, a single photo that qualifies for two or more challenges.

I don't think we need an exception; it's been 4 hours, and nobody has posted anything yet.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

bassoon1986

-2 consecutive route numbers
-guide signs on which route number is given in text

LA 311 and LA 312. LA 311 is in text above the traffic light.

iPhone

empirestate

January 27, 2017
Challenge: Post any road or sign photo that also shows beautiful winter scenery.

Rothman

I like bleak.  Along IN 234 in Indiana:

2017-01-27_08-31-44
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

QuoteJanuary 27, 2017
Challenge: Post any road or sign photo that also shows beautiful winter scenery.

Blizzard of 1978: I-93 (then still part of MA 128) Canton near the I-95 interchange.
Note the back of an I-93 shield in the foreground and the gantry & BGS' in the background.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

I-84 westbound approaching its western terminus at I-81 near Scranton:

Snowy mountains are always fun.

jbnv

QuoteJanuary 27, 2017 Challenge: Post any road or sign photo that also shows beautiful winter scenery.

I'll go ahead and take the bragging rights for southernmost continental-US photo:

Louisiana Snow 2008-12-11 by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

paulthemapguy

QuoteJanuary 27, 2017 Challenge: Post any road or sign photo that also shows beautiful winter scenery.
IA-173-I-80NR by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

formulanone

QuoteJanuary 27, 2017

Browns Ferry Road and Mooresville Road, outside Huntsville:

dgolub

Quote from: jbnv on January 27, 2017, 11:03:42 AM

I'll go ahead and take the bragging rights for southernmost continental-US photo:

Louisiana Snow 2008-12-11 by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

What, you don't think anyone has pictures of snow in Florida?

corco

I have thousands of snow photos so I'm sure I have some way better ones but I am lazy so here

Sometimes, beauty is just a lot of snow:

Or whiteout conditions

Or just Wyoming 372

xcellntbuy

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2017, 06:43:16 PM
QuoteJanuary 27, 2017

Browns Ferry Road and Mooresville Road, outside Huntsville:

Quite artistic, if I may state.  Ansel Adams would approve.

MNHighwayMan

January 28 Challenge: BGSes that have blank spots where route shields used to be

1st Street exit (I-35 exit 92) in Ankeny, IA. This used to be an exit to Iowa 931 East until August 2003, when IA-931 was eliminated. This BGS, on SB I-35, is the only remaining BGS with the blank spot; the other three have since been replaced.

wanderer2575

January 28 Challenge: BGSes that have blank spots where route shields used to be

M-59 used to run concurrent with M-3 for their last few miles to their joint termini at I-94 in Chesterfield Township, but M-59 was relocated to its own terminus a few miles south of here (and eliminating the concurrency) in 1988.  Though the M-59 shield was removed, its control city of Utica was not.  This sign was replaced a few years ago with the two shields properly centered, but I believe the new sign still shows Utica as a control city.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.