News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

I remembered I have a picture of Texas 99 (the Grand Parkway), but the first segment of Texas 99 opened in 1994. :(
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

7/8

QuoteApril 3, 2017:  Signs of the (modern) times -- road signs that wouldn't have existed 20 or more years ago.

This VMS sign on the 407

Mergingtraffic

Above: No EZ-PASS or Pay by Mail options
BELOW: I-86 was only a gleam back then.

Signage on I-84 with future I-86 shields yet to be revealed. NYDOT is converting NY-17 to I-86. by mergingtraffic, on Flickr

And updated real-time traffic times?  WOW!
I-95 SB. Bronx, NYC. by mergingtraffic, on Flickr
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

wanderer2575

Quote from: US71 on April 03, 2017, 02:24:34 PM
Quote from: formulanone on April 03, 2017, 02:06:33 PM
Quote from: jbnv on April 03, 2017, 11:45:34 AM
Does this mean that we can post any Clearview sign? Given that Clearview didn't exist 20 years ago. :D

Posting a modern-spec South Carolina or North Dakota marker seems like a bit of a cheat.

Or Missouri I-49 ;)

Well, I'll post this, so anything goes:

*ducks for cover*

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 02, 2017, 07:16:21 PM

QuoteApril 2nd, 2017: Post pictures of signs that contain the number 91 (as it has been 91 days since 2017 began).

A reused VA 91 cutout and a VA 91 marker heading onto its unpaved portion...

That was gone when I drove the route last year.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OCGuy81

QuoteApril 3, 2017:  Signs of the (modern) times -- road signs that wouldn't have existed 20 or more years ago.

Exit numbers on California BGS

Posted by Raymond Yu on Flickr

Ian

It's officially after midnight here in Maine, so I'm excited to start one of the challenges for the first time! Today's challenge (April 4) is as follows...

QuoteApril 4: Post photos of signs that don't exist anymore (i.e. have since been replaced). Can be any sign that you yourself have a photo of and aren't limited to BGSs or route shield assemblies.

I'll start. Here were some old all-text button copy signs along the West Chester By-Pass (US 202/322) northbound at the PA 3 interchange in West Chester, PA. There used to be quite a few of these signs on and around the by-pass, but PennDOT replaced them with these Clearview signs mounted on mono-tube brown colored gantries. Took this photo in March of 2011.

Old LeHay font "JUNCTION 179/180" unisign along US 1A southbound in Ellsworth, Maine (taken in April of 2013). About a year later, ME 180 was rerouted off of a concurrency with ME 179 when MaineDOT extended 180 south on a road parallel to 179 to US 1A. Google Maps on the location. ME 180 used to use Mariaville Road in the north, then turned south onto ME 179 and ended at US 1A. I'm not sure if any of these old "JUNCTION" unisigns still remain, since the state has been actively replacing these old font signs on their state highways.

Delaware state-named I-95 shield along Lancaster Avenue (DE 48) in Wilmington, just before the intersection with Union Street (DE 2). There used to be a number of these shields along this stretch of Lancaster Avenue, but they've all been replaced with neutered shields sometime in the last few years. Took this photo in July of 2013.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Jim

QuoteApril 4: Post photos of signs that don't exist anymore (i.e. have since been replaced). Can be any sign that you yourself have a photo of and aren't limited to BGSs or route shield assemblies.

Pre-roundabout US 9/NY 67 in Malta.  April 15, 2001.

Odd orange US 41 at Rattlesnake Hammond Road in Naples, Florida.  March 26, 2004.

One of many pictures I have of the signs at NY2/NY7/I-87 before the Exit 6 SPUI was built in Latham, New York.  December 20, 2002.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

MNHighwayMan

This signal was at the the south vertex of the wye that used to exist between MN-101 (now CR-101) and CR-61. The whole thing was replaced with a roundabout in 2015. This picture is from May 2014.

This Spring St sign was purposely bent up to fit around the conduit on the pole. The utility lines have since been moved and the signs replaced.

dgolub

Long Island Expressway (I-495) west:

The diagrammatic signs about entering and exiting the HOV lane are no longer used.

US71

Scenic (now Alt) 412 in Oklahoma

Oklahoma Circle Signs

Arkansas I-40 Button copy

"outline" shields along I-20 in Louisiana

Button Copy in Missouri (this, along US 169 at Kansas City)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

paulthemapguy

Here's a couple pictures of routes that have been decommissioned since I photographed them.

IA-192

IA-US6-192WE by Paul Drives, on Flickr

WI-123

WI-123-STN by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 04, 2017, 09:39:07 AM

Here's a couple pictures of routes that have been decommissioned since I photographed them.

Hmm, decommissioned routes seem a bit like cheating, but OTOH it fits the letter of the challenge, so I'll add this picture to my answer: the western terminus of former MN-232 just outside of the town of Palisade. (It's now part of CR-3.)

formulanone

This sign was removed last time I saw it - Brooker, FL - February 2012:

Photo from August 2011 - removed in 2013:

paulthemapguy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 04, 2017, 10:11:21 AM
Hmm, decommissioned routes seem a bit like cheating, but OTOH it fits the letter of the challenge, so I'll add this picture to my answer: the western terminus of former MN-232 just outside of the town of Palisade. (It's now part of CR-3.)

If the challenge is written in vague enough language to include decommissioned routes, then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If it makes you feel any better, I know from evidence that the WI-123 signage has all been taken down.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

Eth

My photo from 6/4/2016:

Replaced (GSV) by a new-style E(M) sign as of December 2016 (though they kept the now out-of-date GA 120 Loop shield; this has been regular GA 120 for several years now).

wanderer2575

Eastern terminus of I-94 and I-69 in Port Huron, MI.  The freeway was rebuilt and the interchange redesigned in 2011 and 2012.  When this was finished and opened, dozens of M-25-bound motorists a day found themselves on the Blue Water Bridge into Canada because they insisted on following their not-yet-updated GPSs and ignoring three sets of overhead signs clearly indicating the new ramp to M-25 is now to the right.

Niles, MI.  Photo taken in 2011, I think.  Business US-31 has since been decommissioned and this section is now an extension of M-139.  Business US-12 has also been decommissioned.  This sign has been replaced by a simple one-shield assembly indicating that M-139 turns to the right here.

Michigan's previous border signs before changing to the godawful "Pure Michigan," which has mutated from an advertising slogan into a freaking cultlike mantra.

empirestate

QuoteApril 5, 2017
Challenge: Post official highway signs denoting physiographic features other than waterbodies or watersheds.

Examples could be mountain peaks, valleys, forests/woodlands, deserts, islands, etc.

dgolub

New York Thruway (I-87) northbound just past exit 15A:

US71

QuoteApril 5, 2017
Challenge: Post official highway signs denoting physiographic features other than waterbodies or watersheds.

US 71 Near Milo, Missouri
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jbnv

QuoteApril 5, 2017

(Avery Island isn't actually an island, but a massive salt dome.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on April 05, 2017, 09:33:15 AM
New York Thruway (I-87) northbound just past exit 15A:

Quote from: US71 on April 05, 2017, 09:44:24 AM

QuoteApril 5, 2017

US 71 Near Milo, Missouri

Hmm...these seem to be pointing to administrative entities that happen to be named for physiographic features, not to the features themselves. (A similar example would be if you had a sign pointing to, say, the city of Daytona Beach, which is not a physiographic feature.)

Say you're driving along and a mountain comes into view, and you wonder, "What mountain is that?" Then you see a sign identifying what mountain that is; that's what we're looking for. (I excluded waterbodies because river and stream crossings are very commonly marked in exactly this way.)

As a rule of thumb, the feature in question would typically be visible from the location of the sign (although it might not be visible in the photo).

jmd41280

QuoteApril 5, 2017

US 30 west of Schellsburg, PA

Bald Knob Summit by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

I-68 at the Sideling Hill rock cut in MD
Sideling Hill Elevation Sign by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

I-77 at Flat Top, WV

Flat Top - Elevation 3,252 ft. by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

MNHighwayMan

QuoteApril 6, 2017 challenge: State highways (or greater) concurrent/co-signed with county roads.

Iowa 210 and Story County Rd S27 in Maxwell

Iowa 117 and Jasper County Rd F48 in Colfax

Mapmikey

QuoteApril 6, 2017 challenge: State highways (or greater) concurrent/co-signed with county roads.

Although there are numerous implied concurrencies of primary and secondary routes in Virginia, very few are co-signed together with reassurance.  Here is a rare example.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.