News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

QuoteAugust 2nd Challenge ---> Post pictures of signage, or anything else road-related, where the focus of the photo just barely fits in the shot enough to allow you to make out exactly what it is:

My contribution is from my trip to Charleston, SC this year at the beginning of June. This picture was taken on Interstate 20 Eastbound in South Carolina, just outside Augusta, Georgia:

(NOTE: this picture is much more coherent on my phone, but I am currently incapacitated at uploading any raw photos from it, so this is a picture of my picture, which was taken on my brother's phone - as a result, if you have any trouble seeing the sign, it says EXIT 11: Bettis Academy Road; Graniteville)
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

7/8

QuoteAugust 2nd Challenge ---> Post pictures of signage, or anything else road-related, where the focus of the photo just barely fits in the shot enough to allow you to make out exactly what it is:

Here's an angled shot of the Welcome to Arkansas sign on AR 21.

An angled shot of the sign for Lancaster Road in Kitchener, ON at the Bridge St roundabout

A very blurry shot of a sign for Lake Rosseau on Highway 141 (near Rosseau, ON)

hotdogPi

Moose crossing sign on I-89 in New Hampshire by <name removed>, on Flickr

Not only is it blurry, but 1 second later and it would be offscreen.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

roadgeek01

A sign that reads Exit 15 I-83 Business  S George Street One Mile.  I had do some fiddling with the picture to try and get it as legible as possible, as the sun's glare happened to be strong.
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

Eth

Technically, any photo I take that would fit this description would most likely be discarded because it wouldn't survive the editing process. That's because my photos start out like this (unmodified apart from resizing):

That blue-and-black object on the right side is my dashboard phone mount, which is sometimes within the lens' view. Before posting a photo, I first rotate it clockwise by about 4 degrees to account for the curved dashboard it's mounted on, and then crop out the phone mount, dashboard, and hood. When I do that, though, I try to maintain the original 16:9 aspect ratio if at all possible. And so, given that restriction, the final product...

...just barely gets both signs in the frame.

jmd41280

I-76 and PA 291 BGSs along the ramp for I-95 Exit 13 near Philadelphia Int'l Airport...

I-95 Exit 13 (PA Route 291, To I-76) - Philadelphia, PA by Jon Dawson, on Flickr

I-95 at I-10 in Jacksonville, FL...

I-95 @ I-10 by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

jbnv

Drusilla Ln at Jefferson Hwy by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

LA 16/450 Intersection by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

I wasn't focusing on the signs in this picture, and thank goodness I got as much as I did.

Traffic Lights in Verona, Wisconsin by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

empirestate

QuoteAugust 3, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of traffic signal arrow aspects other than left, right or straight through.

Also excluded are single aspect lane use signals, which typically display a down arrow (or an X).

Here's a diagonal downward left arrow in Westchester County, NY:

GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/K6fyrzjFugS2

hotdogPi

QuoteAugust 3, 2017
Challenge: Post photos of traffic signal arrow aspects other than left, right or straight through.

U-turn arrow on NH 125 in Plaistow, NH by <name removed>, on Flickr

U-turn.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

paulthemapguy

QuoteAugust 3, 2017

The only U-turn signal I have ever seen in Illinois, just unveiled this year.  On US30 eastbound approaching I-55.

IL-US30-I-55AV by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

empirestate

Just noticed that the reverse direction of my example is also very slightly angled diagonally upward, which I'm quite sure is intentional:
https://goo.gl/maps/ofvm5e7jAD22

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 03, 2017, 02:53:59 PM
QuoteAugust 3, 2017

The only U-turn signal I have ever seen in Illinois, just unveiled this year.  On US30 eastbound approaching I-55.

IL-US30-I-55AV by Paul Drives, on Flickr
While I don't have a picture, there is also a U-turn signal on US-12 Southbound somewhere north of Lake-Cook Road. I forgot exactly where though, haven't been up there recently. :-P Intersection of 12 and Honey Lake Rd in Lake Zurich.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

empirestate

QuoteAugust 4, 2017
Challenge: Post a road photo taken at sunset or sunrise.

7/8

QuoteAugust 4, 2017

This was taken around sunset on Shirley Avenue in Kitchener, ON. I really need to take new photos of the area now that its been realigned.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: empirestate on August 04, 2017, 11:47:25 PM
QuoteAugust 4, 2017

Lol nice touch with the late challenge.
I failed entirely to give myself enough time to complete this day trip to southwest Wisconsin.  This is one of the consequences of that failure...the WI-191 photo I intended to take didn't occur until the sky was completely dark.  Now I have to go back to Platteville.

WI-133-080SW by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

hotdogPi

QuoteAugust 5, 2017: Non-existent places, whether serious or not.

First one from alpsroads, showing the nonexistent Ripton, MA:

Link to page

Quote from: alpsroads.netWelcome to Ripton, MA, 27 miles from here and everywhere else because there IS no Ripton, MA. The town was invented by a UMass professor as a protest against Boston's ignorance of Western Massachusetts issues (and funding, especially). The hoax was so convincing, Ripton was written into state legislation and received funding - luckily, the perpetrator being an honest professor, taxpayers' money was not wasted on helping Ripton citizens continue to not exist. This sign was not erected by the state in their ignorance, but by locals in their knowledge as a humorous poke at the east for anyone in on the joke.

And my own photo, showing the nonexistent Convenient, MD:

Attractions, NH 28 south at NH 111 by <name removed>, on Flickr
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

CNGL-Leudimin

Pic by miumiuwonwon on Skyscrapercity. Bielefeld, Germany doesn't exist...

Or at least it is said not to exist. Actually the city exists, but it is so little known a satire of conspiracy theories arose a couple decades ago pretending that the city doesn't exist.

And if that doesn't count, another pic by the same person shows the allmighty city of Ausfahrt :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

dgolub

QuoteAugust 4, 2017

What a timely challenge!  I happen to have done some roadgeeking at dawn this past week.  Truck US 1/US 9 southbound in New Jersey:

jmd41280

QuoteAugust 4, 2017

I-70 westbound near Yukon, PA...

Westward Bound by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on August 05, 2017, 08:54:41 AM
QuoteAugust 4, 2017

What a timely challenge!  I happen to have done some roadgeeking at dawn this past week.  Truck US 1/US 9 southbound in New Jersey:

But alas, not a timely answer...a couple of people did slip in some responses, so the August 4th Challenge shut down at midnight, as usual.

iPhone

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: empirestate on August 05, 2017, 04:52:45 PM
But alas, not a timely answer...a couple of people did slip in some responses, so the August 4th Challenge shut down at midnight, as usual.

Spam

Midnight which time zone? Midnight is occurring in less than half a hour for me, and I'm in CEST (UTC+2), although for the purposes of this forum I've adopted a time six hours behind my local time (which most of the year is the same as Eastern, but is Central for about a month, both for a hour and neither one for another, a byproduct of using different DST rules).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 05, 2017, 05:37:58 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 05, 2017, 04:52:45 PM

Spam

Midnight which time zone? Midnight is occurring in less than half a hour for me, and I'm in CEST (UTC+2), although for the purposes of this forum I've adopted a time six hours behind my local time (which most of the year is the same as Eastern, but is Central for about a month, both for a hour and neither one for another, a byproduct of using different DST rules).

Your own time zone. This means that some in California can still post a valid photo if it is barely past midnight where I live. However, 8:54 AM and 2:35 PM (EST)? They were definitely posting on August 5, not August 4, so the responses were invalid.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

CNGL-Leudimin

So, in a few minutes I could post a new challenge. But as I've said I use my own forum time, which means the calendar day doesn't roll over until it's 6:00 a.m. CET/CEST (depending if DST is in force or not).

Anyway, I remember Today's challenge (I've already contributed the German autobahn exit, "Ausfahrt", above):

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

7/8

QuoteAugust 6, 2017: Post pictures of highways running beside water:

TCH 16 near Guernsey, SK

QC 148 in Fort Coulonge along the Coulonge River

Highway 60 in (or around) Alongquin Park in Ontario

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.