News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csw

QuoteNovember 9, 2017: Pictures of exit numbers with letter suffixes or prefixes, with these conditions:

• Milepost-based exits cannot use A, B or C as suffixes
  • Kilometer-based exits cannot use A or B as suffixes
  • Sequential-based exits cannot use A, N, S, E or W as suffixes
  • Any letter(s) can be used as a prefix
  • Letter-only exits (like Exit A) prohibited, since they were used in a recent challenge
  • Must be an official highway sign of some kind -- billboards, advertisements etc. verboten

I hate to do a GSV submission, but I drove past this one today but didn't manage to get a photo. Exit 51H from WB I-90/I-94 to WB I-290 in downtown Chicago: https://goo.gl/maps/bMURgL1rm9u

formulanone

QuoteNovember 9, 2017: Pictures of exit numbers with letter suffixes or prefixes, with these conditions:

• Milepost-based exits cannot use A, B or C as suffixes
  • Kilometer-based exits cannot use A or B as suffixes
  • Sequential-based exits cannot use A, N, S, E or W as suffixes
  • Any letter(s) can be used as a prefix
  • Letter-only exits (like Exit A) prohibited, since they were used in a recent challenge
  • Must be an official highway sign of some kind -- billboards, advertisements etc. verboten

Exit 54X on Florida's Turnpike for I-595's Express Lanes, which opened in 2015:

There's also Exit 2X and 4X, on the old "spur" of the mainline Turnpike; renumbering started with the Homestead Extension, so these needed something else.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Jim on November 09, 2017, 07:34:05 PM
Reading the challenge more closely, I see I can use the Thruway Berkshire Spur's exits.

I do love the Berkshire Spur. I haven't been on that since 1998 -- which probably explains why I apparently know so little about sequential exit numbering.

While I had the Berkshire in mind when I made that rule, there are/were other NY parkways or expressways or whatever on Long Island that also use prefixes IIRC. They could almost make up an entire challenge themselves.

B1 westbound.  September 13, 2014.

Is that a Mass Pike hat I see in the distance past the gore sign? If so, is that common to find in the area on the NY side?
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

hotdogPi

QuoteNovember 10, 2017: MUTCD violations in places where the MUTCD should be followed (e.g. not parking lots), but does not qualify for Erroneous Road Signs.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

PHLBOS

QuoteNovember 10, 2017: MUTCD violations in places where the MUTCD should be followed (e.g. not parking lots), but does not qualify for Erroneous Road Signs.
If GSV is allowed for this challenge; I could post a whole bunch of examples in southeastern PA of STOP signs erected strictly for purposes of speed control/traffic calming (MUTCD no-no).

Nonetheless, I'll just post two of the most offending examples/applications (via GSV lnks).

This one's not even at an intersection

This one's for a walkway entrance on a sidestreet
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 10, 2017, 03:03:34 AM
Reading the challenge more closely, I see I can use the Thruway Berkshire Spur's exits.

I do love the Berkshire Spur. I haven't been on that since 1998 -- which probably explains why I apparently know so little about sequential exit numbering.

While I had the Berkshire in mind when I made that rule, there are/were other NY parkways or expressways or whatever on Long Island that also use prefixes IIRC. They could almost make up an entire challenge themselves.

B1 westbound.  September 13, 2014.

Is that a Mass Pike hat I see in the distance past the gore sign? If so, is that common to find in the area on the NY side?

All of the north/south parkways on Long Island have letter prefixes.  And yes, there are some Mass Pike shields in the Albany area.

empirestate

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 10, 2017, 08:17:32 AM
If GSV is allowed for this challenge; I could post a whole bunch of examples in southeastern PA of STOP signs erected strictly for purposes of speed control/traffic calming (MUTCD no-no).

It's allowed unless prohibited for a specific Challenge. However, it's preferable to include the images inline (via screenshot, for example).

And speaking of inline images...
Quote from: formulanone on November 09, 2017, 11:15:36 PM
Exit 54X on Florida's Turnpike for I-595's Express Lanes, which opened in 2015:

[...]

There's also Exit 2X and 4X, on the old "spur" of the mainline Turnpike; renumbering started with the Homestead Extension, so these needed something else.

...none of these appears for me.

US71

Liberty, MO: should have 2 signal heads for thru traffic.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MCRoads

the squiggle lines in OK ar not allowed in the MUTCD, I'm not sure if they are still removing them, but when they repainted/resurfaced the roads, these were removed.

https://goo.gl/maps/nPeAPHSTBnT2
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

US71

Quote from: MCRoads on November 10, 2017, 11:17:04 AM
the squiggle lines in OK ar not allowed in the MUTCD, I'm not sure if they are still removing them, but when they repainted/resurfaced the roads, these were removed.

I see those in other states on occasion

JasonOfORoads

What is their purpose? Traffic calming? Alerting the driver that a stoplight is ahead?

US71

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 10, 2017, 11:58:06 AM

What is their purpose? Traffic calming? Alerting the driver that a stoplight is ahead?

Or a Stop sign.

CNGL-Leudimin

Taking advantage of my time zone, I set the challenge for "tomorrow" :sombrero:.
QuoteNovember 11, 2017: Post Interstate shields showing a number which doesn't exist as an Interstate

For example, this one from the Shield Gallery. I-101 doesn't exist anywhere (yet), this being a goof for US 101.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CNGL-Leudimin

Only after 6:00 a.m. CET :sombrero:. This is still in play for you:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 10, 2017, 06:21:13 PM

Besides, I was kinda hoping the challenge would be about veteran or armed forces-related signs or something.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 11, 2017, 01:13:46 AM
Besides, I was kinda hoping the challenge would be about veteran or armed forces-related signs or something.

You're expecting way too much out of our audience. :pan:

hotdogPi

QuoteNovember 11, 2017: Post Interstate shields showing a number which doesn't exist as an Interstate

Both from Mapmikey
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

US71

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 10, 2017, 06:21:13 PM

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 10, 2017, 06:09:45 PM
Taking advantage of my time zone, I set the challenge for "tomorrow" :sombrero:.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 09, 2017, 06:17:08 PM
I use Eastern for forum purposes, so...

...so, looks like your November 11th Challenge isn't valid, then (posted on Nov. 10th, Eastern time).

In which case, you can get your wish:

QuoteNovember 11th, 2017
Challenge: Post veteran- or armed forces-related signs.

Or something. :sombrero:

US71

QuoteNovember 11th, 2017

Fort Towson Trail ran from Fort Smith AR to Fort Towson, Indian Territory (Oklahoma).
Years later, this would be incorporated into US 71 and US 70 :)

Audie Murphy Parkway, Farmersville, TX
Mr Murphy grew up in Farmersville and was the most decorated soldier in WWII

MNHighwayMan

QuoteNovember 11th, 2017: Veteran- or armed forces-related signs.

I'll post another picture of the Grand Army of the Republic Highway. This one in Colfax, IA.

luokou

It is Remembrance Day in Canada as well. Here is Alberta's red poppy shield on Hwy 36, aka the Veterans Memorial Highway.

https://goo.gl/maps/m3uisXGiBGo

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: empirestate on November 11, 2017, 11:06:47 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 10, 2017, 06:09:45 PM

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 09, 2017, 06:17:08 PM
I use Eastern for forum purposes, so...

...so, looks like your November 11th Challenge isn't valid, then (posted on Nov. 10th, Eastern time).

No, no. This contradicts rule 1:
Quote from: empirestate on January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM1. Only one Challenge per calendar day (not per 24 hours). Calendars days are counted by your local time, so if it's the correct date when and where you post, it's valid. When posting an Answer, please quote the Challenge statement to which you're responding (in case the date displayed for some users doesn't match the Challenge date).

My local time zone is CET (although here I quote times of the day in Eastern time), so my challenge is valid, and this one...
QuoteNovember 11th, 2017

... is not valid as there was already one set up.

Anyway, I may remove my post for November 9th as it was already November 10th were I live.

US71

You also admit using US Eastern Time for your posts. So which time zone do you prefer?

US71

Quote from: US71 on November 11, 2017, 01:06:58 PM

You also admit using US Eastern Time for your posts. You seem to be bending the rules for your own purposes. So which time zone do you prefer?

Seeing as how you claim to use Eastern Time, I am of the opinion your post should be null and void.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.