News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: empirestate on March 07, 2018, 04:03:45 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2018, 02:41:55 PM
Quote from: empirestate on March 07, 2018, 02:35:55 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2018, 02:00:34 PM
Quote from: empirestate on March 07, 2018, 01:56:58 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 07, 2018, 12:41:18 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2018, 11:38:17 AM
Quote from: empirestate on March 07, 2018, 10:17:43 AM
(Also note, the March 6th Challenge remains open, pending a qualifying submission.)
Strictly my opinion, but if there are no submissions,  then just move on. We can always revisit the challenge at the end of the month.  YMMV

I'm just going to +1 that opinion.

That's fine, but...if you want to just move on, why mention this every time it comes up? Why not just, you know...move on?

Instead of saying "this challenge is still open" ?   :-|  :spin:

No, not instead of that, because it's me that writes that, not you. Does it bother you that I do?

Does it bother you if someone else does it besides you?   :hmmm: :hmmm:

No, not at all. It is how the game works, after all; why would it bother me?

1. Only one Challenge per calendar day (not per 24 hours). Calendar days are counted by your local time, so if it's the correct date when and where you post, it's valid. (However, if you use a time standard other than your local time zone for forum purposes, then the calendar day will be determined by this time standard instead.) When posting an Answer, please quote the Challenge statement to which you're responding (in case the date displayed for some users doesn't match the Challenge date).

Or are you changing the rules midstream again?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hotdogPi

Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2018, 06:20:07 PM
(Also note, the March 6th Challenge remains open, pending a qualifying submission.)
Strictly my opinion, but if there are no submissions,  then just move on. We can always revisit the challenge at the end of the month.  YMMV

That's fine, but...if you want to just move on, why mention this every time it comes up? Why not just, you know...move on?

No, not instead of that, because it's me that writes that, not you. Does it bother you that I do?

1. Only one Challenge per calendar day (not per 24 hours). Calendar days are counted by your local time, so if it's the correct date when and where you post, it's valid. (However, if you use a time standard other than your local time zone for forum purposes, then the calendar day will be determined by this time standard instead.) When posting an Answer, please quote the Challenge statement to which you're responding (in case the date displayed for some users doesn't match the Challenge date).

4. You may continue to submit pictures that satisfy the Challenge throughout that calendar day, after which it becomes closed and we move on to the next day's Challenge. However, a Challenge is not closed if there are no pictures submitted that satisfy it, but we still move on to the next day's Challenge. So, if any prior day's Challenge is still open, you may post an Answer to that Challenge as well as to the current day's Challenge, in which case the prior Challenge becomes closed (but the current Challenge remains open all day).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

empirestate

Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2018, 06:20:07 PM

Not sure what you mean...the rule for unresolved Challenges has always existed.

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2018, 06:25:42 PM
4. You may continue to submit pictures that satisfy the Challenge throughout that calendar day, after which it becomes closed and we move on to the next day's Challenge. However, a Challenge is not closed if there are no pictures submitted that satisfy it, but we still move on to the next day's Challenge. So, if any prior day's Challenge is still open, you may post an Answer to that Challenge as well as to the current day's Challenge, in which case the prior Challenge becomes closed (but the current Challenge remains open all day).

More to the point at hand, is there something concerning you about the thread? Every time there's an unresolved Challenge, a few people mention that they're in favor of moving on (as am I–note that moving on is actually included in the above rule). Is there something objectionable or burdensome about the current rule?

formulanone

I feel this discussion belongs in Suggestions and Questions, if we need The Board's view on this.

I can understand moderation wanting threaded discussion to be orderly, but we've also successfully kept to the same rules within this thread for over 18 months.

We have kept unfulfilled challenges open in this manner, which has happened only a handful of times, so as not to make the thread be a jumbled mess. On the other hand, it also has been more a matter of pride, rather than a process by which anyone is awarded anything (there's no prize, no points, it's just for fun).

MNHighwayMan

QuoteMarch 8, 2018: Route markers mounted to utility poles.

This one's in Le Sueur, Minnesota.

pdx-wanderer

March 8, 2018: show a sign that references a 20th century president.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on March 08, 2018, 10:50:40 AM
March 8, 2018: show a sign that references a 20th century president.

You might've missed the part where someone already created a challenge for today. ;-)

formulanone

North Smithfield, Rhode Island:

busman_49

Main St. in Columbus, Ohio; a holdout from when that stretch of road was still US 33
US 33 sign, Main St. Columbus 2013 06 08 by Ryan busman_49, on Flickr

US 89

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadguy2 on March 08, 2018, 05:53:51 PM

[images snipped]

Gotta call out the second one, because that's a lamppost and not a utility pole. (Technicalities! ;-))

bassoon1986

This,um, "gem"  from a New Orleans suburb off of US 61

And this better one from downtown Shreveport, LA

iPhone

empirestate

Quote from: formulanone on March 07, 2018, 07:08:00 PM
I feel this discussion belongs in Suggestions and Questions, if we need The Board's view on this.

I can understand moderation wanting threaded discussion to be orderly, but we've also successfully kept to the same rules within this thread for over 18 months.

We have kept unfulfilled challenges open in this manner, which has happened only a handful of times, so as not to make the thread be a jumbled mess. On the other hand, it also has been more a matter of pride, rather than a process by which anyone is awarded anything (there's no prize, no points, it's just for fun).

I didn't get the idea it was a moderation issue, just a question or concern about the rules of this particular thread. I'm just not quite clear on what the concern is, so I'm not sure how best to address it.

...And this might not be the best time to mention it, but now both the March 6th and March 7th Challenges remain open, in addition to the March 8th Challenge (the first one, not the second). :)

Jim

This one quickly came to mind when I saw this challenge.  It's directing to New York 5, which is just down the hill from this interesection in Amsterdam.  Until I'd guess 10-15 years ago, this was a rusty old New York 5 marker with the "NY" in the shield.  I wish I had gotten a picture of it before it was replaced.  This one's taken September 2, 2012.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

US71

Birmingham, AL

Des Moines, IA

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on March 08, 2018, 08:10:29 PM

Des Moines, IA

Ha! I have a picture of that same sign, and AFAIK it's still there, with its mismatched tab and arrow and yellow TO banner. :-D

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 08, 2018, 08:14:18 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 08, 2018, 08:10:29 PM

Des Moines, IA

Ha! I have a picture of that same sign, and AFAIK it's still there, with its mismatched tab and arrow and yellow TO banner. :-D

It was as of last August ;)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on March 08, 2018, 08:18:42 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 08, 2018, 08:14:18 PM
It was as of last August ;)

I think it was originally supposed to have an I-235 shield there (that would make sense given where it is and the direction and colors), but I still can't explain the yellow "TO." That's the weirdest part.

paulthemapguy

All I did was look at my Ohio collection for 2 whole seconds and found an abundance of these.  I wonder why Ohio loves to do this so much.

OH-048-718N by Paul Drives, on Flickr

OH-004-029N by Paul Drives, on Flickr

OH-018ER by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

hotdogPi

The failed March 8th challenge becomes the actual March 9th challenge.

QuoteMarch 9, 2018: show a sign that references a 20th century president.

And his example photo:

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

US71

paulthemapguy

How convenient, that I JUST drove through the land of Gerald Ford references.

MI-I-96-I-196WA by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

jflick99

Truman Rd. in downtown KC:

TBKS1

Of course since I live in Arkansas, I only have this. I'm pretty sure Arkansas still has a bad reputation because of him. lol

AR-10 & I-630 w/ 6/9th St. by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

President Bill Clinton (1992 - 2000)
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

Eth

The obvious choice from Georgia:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.