AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gilcrease Turnpike extension plans approved by Oklahoma Transportation Commissio  (Read 4851 times)

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 06:00:18 PM

rte66man

• Last Login: Today at 02:50:46 PM

This project is moving forward and should be under construction or soon to be.

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-announces-1201-million-loan-gilcrease-expressway-west

So in one place Chao says its a $120 million grant but another place says up to $120 million. Wonder what would cause the full amount not to be awarded?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Baloo Uriza

• Last Login: Today at 11:38:04 AM
    • Mastodon

Wonder what would cause the full amount not to be awarded?

I'm guessing when they realize that the Gilcrease Turnpike is unnecessary and unwanted.

Plutonic Panda

Talk about beating a dead horse. Here I thought I was bad at that. I suppose with every single post made that provides updates to this project, that is happening regardless, we should just expect the usual suspects to “remind” us how much they don’t like this project.

Baloo Uriza

• Mastodon

Talk about beating a dead horse. Here I thought I was bad at that. I suppose with every single post made that provides updates to this project, that is happening regardless, we should just expect the usual suspects to “remind” us how much they don’t like this project.

I mean, yes?  This is a pretty textbook example of a highway nobody wants.  it's not just me, the folks who live along it don't want it, either.  Really the only difference between this and the Kickapoo Turnpike is that the Kickapoo Turnpike is that even though nobody wants it, it's already under construction.  Not that I don't see a reason to stop that as it exists now and let that rot like Optima Lake at this point.  Or finish it and when it wears out, tear it down.  Either way.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 09:24:57 PM
    • Utah Highways

I mean, yes?  This is a pretty textbook example of a highway nobody wants.  it's not just me, the folks who live along it don't want it, either.

[citation needed]

Obviously somebody wants it - otherwise it would never have been planned in the first place.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 08:00:23 PM
    • Alps' Roads

I mean, yes?  This is a pretty textbook example of a highway nobody wants.  it's not just me, the folks who live along it don't want it, either.

[citation needed]

Obviously somebody wants it - otherwise it would never have been planned in the first place.
Everyone who lives on Liberty Memorial Parkway opposes this project.

Baloo Uriza

• Mastodon

[citation needed]

Literally only the OTA wants it.  There's a reason why this didn't get off the drawing board as OK 12, the last five times before this going back to this plan's origination when my grandparents were kids and the original OK 12 was decommissioned as obsolete in 1927, freeing the number.  If this route was even remotely necessary, literally anyone other than ODOT or OTA would be pushing this forward.  But, nope...it's literally being fought by property owners in its path and the overwhelming majority of people can plainly see existing two lane county roads are woefully overcompensating already.  There's no need for a motorway and this whole thing is just going to put OTA further in the hole, never to repay its costs.

As it is, the Gilcrease Expressway west of about the airport is basically unused.  I've never seen another car any time I've driven the Gilcrease west of LL Tisdale.  And the Tisdale, well, there's no reason that needed to be a freeway, county or otherwise.  People use it, but you're more likely to see traffic on MLK or Union, both really don't need to be 4 lane roads now...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:56:01 PM by Baloo Uriza »

Baloo Uriza

• Mastodon

[citation needed]

Most folks along the Liberty Parkway are barely aware that it exists.  The whole extension of the Creek Turnpike east of 169 is rarely traveled by anyone and it's still a largely rural loop to nowhere.  Very few people who aren't roadgeeks bother to pay to drive it; most people take more direct routes on OK 51 or section line roads, and save for 71st/Kenosha, most of those county roads are severely overbuilt.  This new turnpike in Osage County is only going to double down on this.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:58:27 PM by Baloo Uriza »

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 09:38:58 PM
    • Flickr account

[citation needed]

Most folks along the Liberty Parkway are barely aware that it exists.  The whole extension of the Creek Turnpike east of 169 is rarely traveled by anyone and it's still a largely rural loop to nowhere.  Very few people who aren't roadgeeks bother to pay to drive it; most people take more direct routes on OK 51 or section line roads, and save for 71st/Kenosha, most of those county roads are severely overbuilt.  This new turnpike in Osage County is only going to double down on this.

whoosh
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚12⒎14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E),128; CA133; NY366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr: Click the globe under my avatar

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 07:37:01 PM

As it is, the Gilcrease Expressway west of about the airport is basically unused.
Because it goes nowhere. Or rather it does via other 2 lane surface routes, but at that point it's faster to follow the freeways through Downtown. The Turnpike will provide a bypass of Downtown Tulsa and an additional river crossing. It's going to get usage.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 07:37:01 PM

The whole extension of the Creek Turnpike east of 169 is rarely traveled by anyone and it's still a largely rural loop to nowhere.
12,000 AADT near I-44, growing to 20,000 around the southern side. It certainly has usage. That's a developing area, and traffic counts are likely going to continue increasing. Looking at past years, they have been steadily rising each year.

I'd say based on where development is already existent, the Gilcrease Tpke extension will likely get more traffic than the Creek Tpke currently has. I fail to see how "nobody wants it" or "it won't be used". Anybody living in the southern or eastern suburbs would benefit by having a bypass of Downtown bound to US-412 to the west, Sand Springs, and anything out that way.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:12:00 PM by sprjus4 »

bugo

• Last Login: Today at 04:16:02 PM
    • No Frills Blog

Everyone I know in the part of town I live in wants it because it will make it far easier to get from midtown to Sand Springs and points west. The IDL is a death trap, and being able to bypass it would be well worth the toll. You're making stuff up again.

bugo

• No Frills Blog

The interchange at US 64 is going to be a diamond? WTF? This is almost as short sighted as the traffic light at the intersection of the Gilcrease and the Tisdale.

Plutonic Panda

The interchange at US 64 is going to be a diamond? WTF? This is almost as short sighted as the traffic light at the intersection of the Gilcrease and the Tisdale.
Oklahoma just can’t do interchanges the right way. My guess is both interchanges will be built hopefully as a stack when the NW segment gets built.

bugo

• No Frills Blog

Oklahoma just can’t do interchanges the right way. My guess is both interchanges will be built hopefully as a stack when the NW segment gets built.

There are plans to convert the Gilcrease/Tisdale intersection to a huge stack interchange at some point in the future. I think I have a map of the proposed interchange somewhere on my hard drive that I pasted together from several ODOT maps. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Here it is.

Revive 755

• Last Login: May 24, 2020, 01:45:14 PM

Even better how they have a 'Freeway Ends 1500 Feet' after that stoplight.

Plutonic Panda

RE: BUGO, nice! Did you happen to see any timeline? It would be nice if the economy roared back to see that done before 2030.

bugo

• No Frills Blog

RE: BUGO, nice! Did you happen to see any timeline? It would be nice if the economy roared back to see that done before 2030.

I haven't heard of one.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 05:12:00 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards

Most folks along the Liberty Parkway Creek Turnpike, or OK 364, are barely aware that it exists.  The whole extension of the Creek Turnpike east of 169 is rarely traveled by anyone and it's still a largely rural loop to nowhere.  Very few people who aren't roadgeeks bother to pay to drive it; most people take more direct routes on OK 51 or section line roads, and save for 71st/Kenosha, most of those county roads are severely overbuilt.

https://www.pikepass.com/PDF/Yearly%202018.pdf#page=4

If something happening 5,893 times a day qualifies as "rare" in your part of Tulsa, I'd like to go up there and buy some lottery tickets. That's like the time that guy argued with me on here that OMMA cards were "rare" when 1 out of 200 Oklahomans had them.

364 is a very lovely bypass of Tulsa, and can be worth the money to avoid going through town. It's not quite as tempting as it was when there was that really decrepit part of 44 still in service, but if I was headed up to Joplin and beyond, I'd consider using it, depending on time of day and how much of a hurry I was in.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.