It's 2017 and I still can't believe that...

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 04, 2017, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 10, 2017, 03:32:32 PM
... that Labor Day is in September instead of May 1st (The true Labor Day, as observed in the rest of the World).

It's precisely because May 1st was the true Labor Day as observed in the former eastern block countries that the United States labor day had to be a different day.  U.S. labor did not want to be associated with communism.

noelbotevera

...that the Grand Unified Alan has not returned.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 10, 2017, 07:44:18 PM
...that the Grand Unified Alan has not returned.
He took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

MNHighwayMan

Max Rockatansky

Big John

PColumbus73

Quote from: inkyatari on August 07, 2017, 04:07:44 PM
Mind you moose bites kan be pretti nasti.

Just so you know, this made me laugh, like hard, and I have absolutely no idea why.

OracleUsr

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 07, 2017, 06:03:02 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 07, 2017, 03:36:16 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 06, 2017, 10:16:00 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 06, 2017, 10:14:37 PM
There are spots in my town (especially inside Stop & Shop) where cell phone calls get dropped.

Consider yourself lucky

Cell phone service is a luxury in half of Maine, which baffles a lot of people.
Moose don't have cellphones.

I'll relay that to my friends in Northern and Downeast Maine. Verizon is practically useless north of Bangor.

Yeah, but it was pretty cool when I was in West Quoddy State Park and my phone switched to Atlantic Time.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Max Rockatansky

That banks still charge maintenance fees sometimes for checking accounts.

cjk374

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 12, 2017, 05:47:49 PM

I agree. Way too many banks out there now that don't charge maintenance fees to be choosing a bank that does charge fees.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ZLoth

Mmmm..... try financial institutions instead of banks. :)

And, the feeling that I get from some of those financial institutions is that they will find a way to charge a fee for anything, including a fee for having multiple fees being applied. I tend to stay away from the megabanks of America and conduct my business with a local credit union. And, yes, I am aware that that there are some credit unions that are as bad as banks.  :banghead:
Don't Drive Distrac... SQUIRREL!

inkyatari

Quote from: cjk374 on August 12, 2017, 07:20:39 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 12, 2017, 05:47:49 PM

I agree. Way too many banks out there now that don't charge maintenance fees to be choosing a bank that does charge fees.

I have a savings in a local credit union, but for everything else, I have a cash management account with Fidelity.  Best decision I ever made.  THey charge no fees, not even overdrafts, and you get ATM fees refunded, and a minuscule amount of interest.  You can open one with as little as a penny, and there's no minimum balance.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

paulthemapguy

It's 2017 and I still can't believe that white supremacists think they can sound remotely sane in a modern political climate.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

PHLBOS

...there are more bank branches being built now despite all the hoopla regarding on-line banking.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Takumi

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 14, 2017, 03:03:53 PM
...there are more bank branches being built now despite all the hoopla regarding on-line banking.
My brother's roommate used to be a head teller at a bank that shall remain nameless. He talked about how they were supposed to upsell online banking to customers. So they were being graded on how well they were making themselves obsolete.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Takumi on August 14, 2017, 03:06:53 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 14, 2017, 03:03:53 PM
My brother's roommate used to be a head teller at a bank that shall remain nameless. He talked about how they were supposed to upsell online banking to customers. So they were being graded on how well they were making themselves obsolete.

My brother once asked a bank teller why some many bank branches are still being built in the wake of on-line banking and all he got was a blank stare.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Until you can get quarters online without any kind of fees or laundry machines start accepting credit cards, there will be a need for physical bank branches.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

Or as long as businesses in general take cash period.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

thenetwork

One time I needed to get some quarters from a dollar bill, so i popped into a bank in a strip mall.  They asked me if I had an account there, I said no, so they refused to break the dollar for me.  When did a financial institution become a frickin' country club???  It's not like I was asking to break a phony C-Note.  I told them to F-off!!!

And then they wonder why everyone hates banks.

wanderer2575

Quote from: vdeane on July 29, 2017, 06:14:49 PM
Depositing checks by phone sounds convenient, but what do you do with the check afterwards?  You can't just put something with someone's bank account info in the recycle bin, and I don't own a shredder.

You could wait a week or so to be sure all's well, then take the check to a party store or check cashing outfit and cash it again.  (Note:  I'M KIDDING.)  I'm in payroll and have to deal with the fallout when employees pull that stunt with paychecks (because the check will bounce when it tries to clear a second time, and then I have the party store owner on the phone yelling at me).  Yeah, I know we're not legally liable, but it's a pain in the ass.  Mobile deposit has got to be the stupidest concept the banking industry ever dreamed up.  They knew about the potential fraud, but ignored it because it was just another way to look COOL and rake in millions more in fees.

mgk920

Quote from: english si on July 20, 2017, 12:42:40 PM
Quote from: formulanone on July 20, 2017, 07:30:56 AMTo be fair, your area of the world put the Prime Meridian over your land(s), declared a Western and Eastern Civilization, a Middle East, Far East, and a Down Under with respect to your location.

Perspective.
Or, in other words, it's a totally and utterly meaningless descriptor and shouldn't be used? That's exactly my point!

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 20, 2017, 11:38:48 AMFind the part of the Constitution, then, that allows governing bodies to establish speed limits!  Oh it's not in there, I guess we should take all the speed limit signs down.
The 10th amendment allows governing bodies (the states or the people) to establish speed limits, etc: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution nor prohibited by states, are reserved to the states respectively or to the people."

However it is these exact same words that prohibit the federal government from doing anything but which they have the specific authority to do so - the feds cannot establish speed limits and this was hbelkins' point re:healthcare.

The NMSL got around the 10th amendment by not being a federally mandated maximum, but a ban on federal roads money to states that didn't have a max speed limit of 55mph. The drinking age of 21 has similar (and yes, it's highways money) and South Dakota v. Dole resolved that the Federal Government can, via the spending clause, penalise states in such a way.
QuoteThe Constitution has nothing to do with it
lmao

If it involves the federal government, the Constitution has everything to do with it - it's the rules that both give the feds the authority to do things, and the rules that tell them what they can't do.

A bit late in the reply to this, but my read on Federalism in the USA's Constitution is that the individual states can do whatever they want in the area of provision of 'health care' services, going as far as creating a full clone of the NHS if they so desire.  This is part of the USA's federal system the has often been referred to as the 'laboratory of the states'.  A couple of states (namely California and Vermont, opposite ends of the population scale) have very seriously looked into setting up at least state-run 'single-payer' health schemes in very recent years, but both have ultimately rejected them in that they estimated that there was simply no way that they could physically bring in enough in-state tax revenue to pay for them.

Also, until they were blown up a few years ago by what I call the 'Unaffordable Care Act', my home State of Wisconsin had very successful and well-run in-state health plans for the both lower end crowd who couldn't otherwise afford private plans (called 'Badgercare') and a 'high risk' pool for those who were rejected for service by the private insurers due to pre-existing conditions.

BTW, I note, too, that while watching Premier League games on the 'Tele' here over the past few seasons, I am frequently seeing ribbon-board ads for private health insurance plans aimed at the UK domestic market.

Mike

mgk920

. . . that fútbol in North America is not yet organized into a promotion and relegation federation.

Mike

CNGL-Leudimin

... that people use unnecesary loanwords. It's football, and more specifically association football (as opposed to gridiron, i.e. "American", football as it came to mean in the USA). Futbol is actually a adaptation into Spanish of "football".
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SP Cook

That people still see a future in soccer in the USA.  The sport of the next generation, three generations and counting. 

As to the use of "loan words" , it is, like ,most soccer marketing in the USA, an affectation.  Thus "Real Salt Lake" (useing the Spanish for "Royal" meaning "under the patronage of the king of Spain" for a place that was never (really, yes some Spanish guy drew a line on an inaccurate map, but nobody told the Utes about it) part of Spain;  Houston Dynamo (the Commies used to play pretend that the teams were made up of workers in various industries, thus Moscos Dymamo, meaning "power plant workers", it actually was the KGB's team; Atlanta and DC "United", coming from Manchester United so named as to overcome sectarianism in that town, a concept having no application in 21st century America; and my personal favorite, Sporting Kansas City, apeing Sporting Lisbon, so named 100 years ago to give an English air to the team.  That's right, an affectation of an affectation. 

kkt

There's enough interest in soccer in the USA to keep it going, it's just always going to be a minor sport.  It's not going to replace (American) football or baseball etc.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.