AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Expanded Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas toll transponder interoperability now here!  (Read 11623 times)

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: Today at 02:15:46 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be traveling along the Kansas Turnpike in a few weeks. Does it still accept cash? Or should I prepare for other options?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: December 07, 2021, 09:18:32 PM

At times between tomorrow and Thursday, I'll be travelling on the Will Rogers, Turner, and Cimarron Turnpikes.  So, I'll ask a similar question to the one above: Which payment methods are available on these turnpikes, especially after COVID? I do not have any type of toll pass/transponder.
One million posts coming soon!
 TM stats
 Mob-Rule

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 03:03:23 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards

As far as I'm aware cash is still accepted throughout the Kansas and Oklahoma toll systems (except at Kansas Turnpike exit 53A).

Ned Weasel

• Last Login: December 04, 2021, 11:49:54 AM
    • My Instagram

Found a link to the presentation on this project, and I'll run down the most important parts of the presentation:
-Adds 36 toll zones and reusing 6 toll zones for a total of 42 toll zones (21 each way)
-Convert the existing toll zones (Southern, East Topeka, and Eastern) with new tolling equipment and add 36 new mainline toll zones
-It will be a "closed" system with some zones operating in one direction only and other zones having adjacent toll zones to capture both directions
-Schedule on slide 20. Splits the contract into four different construction packages in three years (South of Wichita (2021), North of Wichita to Emporia (2022), East of Topeka to Kansas City (2022), and between Emporia and Topeka (2023))
-The ones east of Topeka on I-70 will have space for a future outside lane in each direction
-Scheduled to go live in January 2024 and will have a separate contract for demolition of all of the existing toll plazas on the system

Link: https://www.ksturnpike.com/assets/uploads/content-files/KTA_CashlessTollingPh2_Pre-Proposal_Mtg.pdf

Thanks!  This is really interesting and informative!
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: Today at 02:15:46 PM

As far as I'm aware cash is still accepted throughout the Kansas and Oklahoma toll systems (except at Kansas Turnpike exit 53A).

Excellent. Thank you.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

• Last Login: September 05, 2021, 06:26:16 PM

Does anyone know how it works to tow a U-Haul trailer behind a vehicle with a toll sticker?

If I call the toll agency and change the number of axles associated with my tag, will I simply be charged the higher rate apropriately at each toll booth?

Or will U-Haul still get a bill for a toll violation on the trailer regardless, because that's where the license plate is registered?

The reason for my necro-post has, I think, gone unanswered.  Does nobody have any experience with this type of situation?

In a few weeks, I'll be helping my friend move storage units, and we'll be taking both KTA and OTA turnpikes as part of our trip.  Shunpiking is a possibility, but it would add fairly significant time to a 700-mile one-way journey.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 03:04:06 PM

According to the PikePass FAQ: What if I occasionally pull a trailer?

"You can still use a PIKEPASS Sticker. Contact the Customer Service Center at 1-800-745-3727 before and after your trip. If you did not make the class change on your account prior to traveling, you should stop at an attended toll booth on the turnpike(s). A toll collector can make the change for you for that (one way) trip. Another option is to pay the $25 fee for a Portable for the regular vehicle class, and we will not charge you the fee for the second one with the higher class for use when towing a trailer."

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:22:47 PM

In a few weeks, I'll be helping my friend move storage units, and we'll be taking both KTA and OTA turnpikes as part of our trip.  Shunpiking is a possibility, but it would add fairly significant time to a 700-mile one-way journey.

All of the options mentioned in the FAQ entry Bobby5280 cited sound complicated, with a high probability of snafus ensuing if toll processing passes through video pickup of the license plate number (as seems more likely when towing a trailer; in my experience, KTA easily gets tolls wrong even for four-wheel vehicles not towing trailers).  For a onetime trip, I'd shunpike, as that will likely take less time than straightening out a wrong toll, and of course the cost will be significantly less.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Yeah, the FAQ page—in my opinion—seems to assume your trailer is also registered to you.
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bobby5280

It would seem logical for OTA to have some kind of simple PikePass provision for motorists towing something like a U-Haul trailer. Given this is Oklahoma there is no guarantee.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 12:19:47 PM

If all the toll roads involved accept cash, couldn’t you simply pay at toll plazas?

Scott5114

If all the toll roads involved accept cash, couldn’t you simply pay at toll plazas?

It sounds like the vehicle already has a transponder sticker installed, which could cause problems, because 1) KS/OK style stickers are not reusable once removed (so you can't just pull it out and leave it at home, like you can an EZPass) and 2) some toll plazas in Kansas have combo KTAG/cash lanes, so you can't necessarily prevent a KTAG charge by simply paying cash, and 3) in Oklahoma, there are also Pikepass reader gantries located in places that are not associated with a cash toll, which could cause problems (for instance, on the Turner Turnpike, there are tag read points at the Oklahoma City and Tulsa termini—what happens if your tag is read there but not at the mainline plaza at Stroud is a mystery, but I doubt it's going to result in the proper toll charge..)

kphoger

It sounds like the vehicle already has a transponder sticker installed, which could cause problems, because 1) KS/OK style stickers are not reusable once removed (so you can't just pull it out and leave it at home, like you can an EZPass) and 2) some toll plazas in Kansas have combo KTAG/cash lanes, so you can't necessarily prevent a KTAG charge by simply paying cash, and 3) in Oklahoma, there are also Pikepass reader gantries located in places that are not associated with a cash toll, which could cause problems (for instance, on the Turner Turnpike, there are tag read points at the Oklahoma City and Tulsa termini—what happens if your tag is read there but not at the mainline plaza at Stroud is a mystery, but I doubt it's going to result in the proper toll charge..)

Exactly.

The driving vehicle has a KTAG sticker affixed to the windshield.  We're taking I-35 south to OKC, then I-44 southwest to Wichita Falls and beyond.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but our toll points would be these:

1.  Entering the KTA at I-135 — options are KTAG only lane or combo ticket/KTAG lanes.  The KTAG will read no matter what.

2.  Leaving the KTA at its southern terminal — options are KTAG only lane or combo cash/KTAG lanes.  The KTAG will read no matter what.

3.  Entering the HE Bailey Turnpike at Newcastle — options are PikePass only lane or cash lanes.  Possible to avoid the KTAG being read.

4.  HE Bailey Turnpike toll plaza south of Chickasha — recently built, and I don't recall the setup.  ???

5.  Leaving the HE Bailey Turnpike at Walters — options are PikePass only lane or cash lanes very nearby.  Possible to avoid the KTA being read, but risky?
Male pronouns, please.

Bobby5280

Quote from: kphoger
HE Bailey Turnpike toll plaza south of Chickasha — recently built, and I don't recall the setup.  ???

The new I-44 toll plaza at mile marker 66 is basic looking but still nice. There are two cash lanes for each direction situated outboard from the thru lanes that run through the middle of the plaza. There is a spot update of overhead imagery showing the new plaza in Google Earth/Maps.

There are plans to re-do the Newcastle toll plaza into a similar configuration. The existing plaza, with single outboard PikePass lanes, was built around 25 years ago.

Leaving the HE Bailey Turnpike at Walters — options are PikePass only lane or cash lanes very nearby.  Possible to avoid the KTA being read, but risky?

Just make sure you go through the plaza when human beings are on duty. If you go through the cash lane the toll booth attendant can make any adjustments. I drive from Lawton to Temple from time to time to visit relatives and get off the turnpike at the Walters exit. I have to go through the cash lane in order to exit. There are PikePass readers in that lane. I tell the attendant that I'm exiting for Walters and they adjust the toll so I don't get charged as if I'm going all the way to the turnpike's end at the Randlett exit.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:22:47 PM

As this is sounding like a Wichita-to-Wichita-Falls itinerary, I had a look at what Google Maps suggests in terms of briefest journey.  The toll route is 4 hours 21 minutes (299 miles) via I-35/I-44 while the non-toll route is 5 hours 16 minutes (313 miles) via I-35/US 62/US 81/SH 79/various connecting routes.  I'd say about 40 minutes of the added travel time comes from dealing with reduced rural speed limits, and the rest from chewing through built-up areas like Haysville, Wellington, Chickasha, and Comanche.  It's possible to do a lot worse in terms of rural congestion and stoplight infestation.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

As this is sounding like a Wichita-to-Wichita-Falls itinerary, I had a look at what Google Maps suggests in terms of briefest journey.  The toll route is 4 hours 21 minutes (299 miles) via I-35/I-44 while the non-toll route is 5 hours 16 minutes (313 miles) via I-35/US 62/US 81/SH 79/various connecting routes.  I'd say about 40 minutes of the added travel time comes from dealing with reduced rural speed limits, and the rest from chewing through built-up areas like Haysville, Wellington, Chickasha, and Comanche.  It's possible to do a lot worse in terms of rural congestion and stoplight infestation.

For shunpiking, I'd take US-81 and US-177 south to the Oklahoma state line.  Then I-35 south from Braman to Ardmore.  Then US-70 and OK/TX-79 west to Wichita Falls.  A lot less through-town driving that way, and a lot more four-lane highway.  Approximately an hour longer than the tolled route, though.
Male pronouns, please.

route56

• Last Login: December 05, 2021, 08:17:28 PM
    • route56.com

From a simple google search "Towing a trailer K-TAG", I found this

HOW DOES THE K-TAG KNOW HOW MANY AXLES I HAVE WHEN I’M PULLING A TRAILER OR A BOAT?

As you drive through the toll lane, there is equipment that counts the axles of your vehicle. This equipment tells us how to bill your account for that trip.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

plain

• Last Login: Today at 03:03:45 PM

From a simple google search "Towing a trailer K-TAG", I found this

HOW DOES THE K-TAG KNOW HOW MANY AXLES I HAVE WHEN I’M PULLING A TRAILER OR A BOAT?

As you drive through the toll lane, there is equipment that counts the axles of your vehicle. This equipment tells us how to bill your account for that trip.

Which makes sense... I mean, the sensors knows the difference between a full blown tractor trailer and a standard 2-axle vehicle right? So the sensors can tell whether or not someone is towing something.
Newark born, Richmond bred

deathtopumpkins

• Last Login: Today at 02:09:15 PM

HE Bailey Turnpike toll plaza south of Chickasha — recently built, and I don't recall the setup.  ???

The new I-44 toll plaza at mile marker 66 is basic looking but still nice. There are two cash lanes for each direction situated outboard from the thru lanes that run through the middle of the plaza. There is a spot update of overhead imagery showing the new plaza in Google Earth/Maps.

Note that there do appear to be PikePass readers above the cash lanes here: https://goo.gl/maps/wwh1z9qwmQEGeFSy6 so I wouldn't assume you could pay cash at this plaza without the K-TAG being read.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

Note that there do appear to be PikePass readers above the cash lanes here: https://goo.gl/maps/wwh1z9qwmQEGeFSy6 so I wouldn't assume you could pay cash at this plaza without the K-TAG being read.

Given that particular plaza is staffed with a human toll collector, one could possibly explain the situation to the toll collector and have them delete the K-TAG charge, since toll collectors at other plazas are known to be able to adjust tolls on the fly. However, this may not be an ability that's available at all plazas. The toll collector would hopefully at least be able to indicate who you would need to talk to in order to get the toll adjusted, however.

kphoger

Hmmm..  This might not end up happening.  At least yet.  My friend took a spill on his motorcycle, messed up his knee pretty badly.  Don't know yet what restrictions he may be under when move time happens.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

As I mentioned in another thread, my friend and I did this moving trip on June 22-24.  He only gave a token effort at trying to update his K-Tag account to include a trailer.  Basically, he did two things:

1.  Before leaving (the night before?), he went on the internet to look for a way to change it online.  He didn't see one.

2.  When we passed through the southern terminus barrier plaza of the KTA, he told the attendant that the "THANK YOU" sign didn't flash at him upon entry.  He asked her if his tag read and if he was charged the correct amount.  The attendant merely answered that it had worked—didn't say anything about what rate was charged.

So I have no idea how it ended up working out.  It's not my K-Tag, it's not my bank account, it's not my fight to try and fight from a house in Mexico if anything ends up going wrong, so I guess I only care so much.

A week later, though, I took a family vacation to Galveston.  Our PikePass read correctly at every point:  KTA south of Wichita, Pres. George Bush Turnpike all the way from I-35E to I-20, Beltway 8 as a bypass around Houston from I-45 to I-45.  I verified it online just now.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.