AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Georgia  (Read 507961 times)

Tom958

• Last Login: Today at 06:40:16 AM
Re: Georgia
« Reply #1675 on: July 02, 2021, 09:22:36 AM »

I noticed yesterday that this is gone now. I hope it made its way into someone's collection. https://goo.gl/maps/jqgkeb1DpRb6mx3H9

« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 10:21:00 AM by Tom958 »

bdmoss88

• Last Login: October 19, 2021, 10:03:17 PM
« Reply #1676 on: July 06, 2021, 10:55:45 AM »

This will be really interesting to see, Iíve never heard of a travel stop with a scale quite like this before (in terms of the size of the property, and with so many fuel pumps), this is massive. I also like hearing about the good quality of the facilities, and the offering of good foods, so this sounds pretty cool.

There's also gonna be a Buc-ee's in Calhoun.

Interesting to hear one of these will be opening up in my neck of the woods (as I live in nearby Dalton), Iíll have to check it out once itís opened.

Also on I-75ís Exit 310 in Calhoun GA (Union Grove Rd.), (which sounds like will hold the Calhoun location of Buc-eeís), I saw that it appeared a new Loveís Truck Stop was under construction there (on the northeast side of the exit) the last time I passed through. That is a new interchange anyway (up until a few years ago, it was just a overpass over the interstate with no exit), and thereís a whole lot of industrial activity nearby, so that is the happening place for new development. Itís very interesting to see all of this pop up.

We passed through this area this weekend and saw that exit 310 is now where the new routing of GA53 crosses I75 instead of exit 312. It had been several years since we had been through here so I was not aware of the change and missed the turn the first time through. This is part of our Atlanta bypass(US27 from LaGrange to Rome, then GA53 to Calhoun) when we head to eastern TN or points north. It looks like the few minutes gained from the new GA53 routing will then be negated by the inevitable visits to Buc-ee's on future trips.  ;-)  The Buc-ee's looks like it will be opening very soon.

Georgia

• Last Login: October 20, 2021, 08:21:22 PM
« Reply #1677 on: July 15, 2021, 09:48:04 AM »

This overpass is going to be closed a while.  What looked to be a raised dump truck smoked the SR 86 bridge over I-16 and displaced it 6 feet!  How fast was that truck going!!

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/georgia-interstate-bridge-shifts-6-feet-after-truck-crash-road-closed-indefinitely/5BRWDRQPWZC3HJIMZYQZSWWY54/

Tomahawkin

• Last Login: October 20, 2021, 10:34:06 PM
« Reply #1678 on: July 15, 2021, 06:10:07 PM »

Thank Gawd that didn't Happen on IH 20 or IH 75 or IH 85. Especially any of the other main routes to Florida...Those detours can add an additional 1-3 hours...

Georgia

« Reply #1679 on: July 15, 2021, 08:23:36 PM »

I-16 is going to be closed until Sunday between MP 71 and 78.  GDOT is planning to get one lane open up each way by then with I-16 not being fully reopen until the end of next week.   God I hope no one here is going to Savannah/Tybee/etc.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1680 on: July 15, 2021, 09:53:34 PM »

I'm going to Jacksonville in 2 weeks but I'm taking 75 to 10....

kevinb1994

• Last Login: Today at 02:26:24 AM
« Reply #1681 on: July 16, 2021, 12:07:01 AM »

I'm going to Jacksonville in 2 weeks but I'm taking 75 to 10....
Iíll be out of town shortly after. Have a family event to be at next month.

Georgia

« Reply #1682 on: July 16, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »

Both westbound lanes are open and GDOT is hoping to have eastbound open by Sunday

Edit: all lanes have re-opened now
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 09:15:57 PM by Georgia »

Tom958

« Reply #1683 on: July 18, 2021, 09:09:11 AM »

Days later: I first heard about the recent I-16 incident from Facebook, from the various GDOT pages I follow, then from FreewayJim and other groups. GDOT was using screenshots from Google Maps to illustrate the closure, and it became obvious that Google was unaware of the closure. I asked (knowing the answer was NO) whether GDOT had any system in place for notifying the various navigation systems of major closures and detours. Of course, they wouldn't say yes or no, but they stated that the most up-to-date information was at their 511 information line or at 511ga.org. I didn't bother to ask how often drivers were expected to call 511 or check 511ga.org while driving, or explain to them that various services would notify drivers of the problem and direct them around it- -  as long as they know there's a problem. Apparently, no one on GDOT's social media team is familiar with real-time navigation apps. WTF?

Later on, as if to belabor the point, GDOT posted a screenshot of Google Maps again and offered this:

Quote from: GDOT
Helpful Tip:  Set your GPS device to Ďavoid interstatesí for alternate routes around the I-16 closure in Treutlen County.  Visit 511 Georgia for the latest travel info.  www.511ga.org

What is wrong with these f**king people?

Of course, I posted a Waze screenshot showing a minimal detour through Soperton, and my own advice: "Or people could use Waze instead of Google Maps. Waze has user input, so major incidents get reported by the public even if GDOT, the State Patrol, and the various police forces in the area are uninterested in reporting it themselves."

Of course, I posted a Waze screenshot of the area.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:28:40 AM by Tom958 »

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:11:02 AM
« Reply #1684 on: July 18, 2021, 03:58:43 PM »

Google owns Waze.  They are essentially one in the same now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Georgia

« Reply #1685 on: July 18, 2021, 07:39:17 PM »

Google typically wont send drivers down closed roads, so the route google showed would have been the fastest at the time.  Google Maps would have shown your time and distance and then said this route avoids road closure on Interstate 16 and Georgia 406 or whatever the # is. 

You want GDOT to do this?  Seems like a waste of funds and you already complain about what they do with their current funding levels. 

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1686 on: July 18, 2021, 10:21:21 PM »

The New exit at 285 and 400/Glenridge road that just opened is FUBAR! Traffic still backs up to the main lanes of 285, causing instant slowdowns and even accidents on a Sunday. This new interchange is going to be a band aid on a bullet wound. The temporary improvements aren't doing much to ease Traffic there. The New interchange is underbuilt. Should have made it like the High 5 stack in Dallas

ukfan758

• Last Login: October 18, 2021, 01:49:20 AM
« Reply #1687 on: July 19, 2021, 08:54:14 AM »

I really hope that sometime in the future they expand the I-75 express lanes so that each direction has their own instead of this reversible mess, especially on the south end. 75 through McDonough and Locust Grove is an absolute disaster going northbound during the afternoon/evening hours, even on weekends. Those lanes should also be expanded to south of Locust Grove, preferably to around the LG Griffin Rd overpass.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:57:28 AM by ukfan758 »

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1688 on: July 19, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »

No Argument here. I hate the the Southside express lanes only operate in 1 direction. Especially on weekends when both directions can be seriously conjested because of the Traffic to and from Florida. I couldn't have imagined what the traffic was like down there for the race. I used to stay in that area and on weekends, I would not leave the house if it was a race weekend...

ibthebigd

• Last Login: Today at 05:18:25 AM
« Reply #1689 on: July 20, 2021, 07:55:37 PM »

I went thru Atlanta over the weekend it was a mess on the south side.

Toll by plate would also be nice for the people out of state on the Express lanes.

Are the Express lanes bringing in what they were projected?

SM-G950U

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1690 on: July 20, 2021, 08:57:09 PM »

All the 400 and 285 express lanes are already in the planning phases. The Problem is that I don't think any of those projects will be complete til 2027 and beyond. The good thing about the 85 and 75 express lanes, is that the funds from those are accelerating those future toll lane projects as well as interchange improvements at both 285 and IH 20 on both sides of Atlanta. They were 25+ years overdue

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1691 on: July 20, 2021, 08:58:54 PM »

And yes. The 85 express lanes can cost 20 dollars 1 way before the Pandemic. I'm not sure what the rates are now. But the traffic now all over is just as bad as it was in 2019...

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 07:24:47 AM
« Reply #1692 on: July 20, 2021, 10:23:54 PM »

Toll by plate would also be nice for the people out of state on the Express lanes.

SM-G950U
Agreed, though they utilize the E-ZPass system now so that has expanded options.

ran4sh

• Last Login: Today at 12:08:56 AM
    • YouTube - mostly my Cities:Skylines live streams
« Reply #1693 on: July 21, 2021, 01:37:32 AM »

SM-G950U
Agreed, though they utilize the E-ZPass system now so that has expanded options.

They don't accept E-ZPass yet. Georgia has joined the E-ZPass IAG and will implement E-ZPass interoperability in the next year or so.
University of Georgia est. 1785 -  The Birthplace of Public Higher Education in America - 2018 Rose Bowl Champion - 3 W streak vs Ga Tech - 5 W streak vs Auburn

architect77

• Last Login: October 15, 2021, 06:02:29 PM
« Reply #1694 on: July 22, 2021, 11:35:23 PM »

SM-G950U

Revenue generation isn't the objective. Keeping the lanes moving at 45 mph or higher is what the tolls regulate.

Although unpleasant to people's finances it's actually a genius way to have total control on the traffic flow of a given lane or road forever into the future. Can't have it's efficacy defeated by the masses.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1695 on: July 23, 2021, 05:59:32 PM »

The C/D road on 285 west from 400 to Roswell Road will open in a week. This is great because the traffic from that ramp and interchange is so antiquated that the traffic always backs up onto 285 all the time, even on the weekends

Tom958

« Reply #1696 on: August 03, 2021, 05:25:44 AM »

On Sunday afternoon, I investigated the 285-400 interchange after the latest round of ramp changes, including the opening of the mile-and-a-half-long westbound CD and offramp to Roswell  Road. The signage situation is inherently difficult but made worse by indifference to detail, such as having an unneeded trailblazer block the view of the undersized 3/4 mile sign for the Peachtree Dunwoody Road exit.

The current configuration crams three offramps to four destinations right on top of each other, as this GDOT masterpiece demonstrates:

This one went up a couple of weeks ago, when the 400 offramps were reconfigured but before the new Roswell Road exit was opened, with the Roswell Road exit being 1 3/4 miles out instead of 1/2. As wordy as it is, it would've been a good idea to eliminate the useless NEXT 4 EXITS tab, especially since this is an overlay on a sign for three destinations. But noooo. As it stands, though, it's essentially moot: the scene there is so chaotic that I missed it on my first pass even knowing it was there! That said, maybe it'll be useful in slow-moving rush hour traffic.

This master-blaster overhead is unfortunately located just beyond and is obstructed by the Perimeter Center Parkway bridge, which impedes the already-difficult task of interpreting it. It also introduces exits 27A and 27B, replacing exit 27 for both directions.

To me, the most objectionable aspect of this assembly is the unfortunate placement of the new EXIT ONLY arrow for the Roswell Road-400 south exit. The new offramp leaves 285 as a single lane, then widens to two lanes before splitting. I think it would've been possible to stripe the offramp for two lanes with an option lane and thereby provide two arrows, one white and one black, one for each destination, with each directly over the appropriate lanes instead of confusingly far off as the lone arrow is now. Yes, I know that having a white down arrow over an option lane is a no-no per the MUTCD, but this assembly's previous incarnation had one, so drivers would be familiar with it. That's just me, though.

In case you haven't seen them yet, navigation here is also aided by these beautiful pavement shields, which are sure to become an Atlanta landmark.

I've stated repeatedly that the completed project will restripe the 285 mainline back to eight lanes from ten. With this recent change, the process has started: westbound 285 is now only four lanes from the Medusa split to just before Roswell Road. Speaking of which: this sign was still in service when I was there on Sunday afternoon even though that offramp is gone, never to return. Hopefully they'll get around to tarping it over before too long. I doubt that they'll bother taking it down until they demolish the bridge.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 05:32:12 AM by Tom958 »

Tom958

« Reply #1697 on: August 03, 2021, 06:06:35 AM »

It wasn't that long ago that GDOT announced that the 285-400 interchange project would be substantially complete by the end of 2021. I found this assertion to be absurd given that the new design carries both northbound and southbound 400 under 285 instead of just northbound, thereby requiring replacement in situ of the two bridges carrying 285 over 400. I thought that temporary detour bridges would have to be constructed, that that couldn't be done until the existing southbound 400 bridge was demolished, after southbound 400 was rerouted via the new southbound CD roads. However, I just now stumbled upon this wonderful video from May of 2019 showing the 285 mainline narrowed to six lanes and crammed onto the southern, eastbound existing bridge while the westbound bridge is being replaced-- all while the original southbound 400 bridge is still in use!

Another possibility could be that it's been decided to narrow the new southbound 400 roadway to two lanes if that would make it possible to cram it under the existing bridges.

We'll see, I guess.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1698 on: August 03, 2021, 09:35:52 AM »

Great assessments on that interchange progress. You can take it to the Bank that no way this interchange is completed by the end of the year, considering that they are transforming the Abernathy interchange into a DDI, also the permanent overhead sign bridges need to be installed as well as overhead lighting (hopefully l).

architect77

• Last Login: October 15, 2021, 06:02:29 PM
« Reply #1699 on: August 04, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »

On Sunday afternoon, I investigated the 285-400 interchange after the latest round of ramp changes, including the opening of the mile-and-a-half-long westbound CD and offramp to Roswell  Road. The signage situation is inherently difficult but made worse by indifference to detail, such as having an unneeded trailblazer block the view of the undersized 3/4 mile sign for the Peachtree Dunwoody Road exit.

The current configuration crams three offramps to four destinations right on top of each other, as this GDOT masterpiece demonstrates:

This one went up a couple of weeks ago, when the 400 offramps were reconfigured but before the new Roswell Road exit was opened, with the Roswell Road exit being 1 3/4 miles out instead of 1/2. As wordy as it is, it would've been a good idea to eliminate the useless NEXT 4 EXITS tab, especially since this is an overlay on a sign for three destinations. But noooo. As it stands, though, it's essentially moot: the scene there is so chaotic that I missed it on my first pass even knowing it was there! That said, maybe it'll be useful in slow-moving rush hour traffic.

This master-blaster overhead is unfortunately located just beyond and is obstructed by the Perimeter Center Parkway bridge, which impedes the already-difficult task of interpreting it. It also introduces exits 27A and 27B, replacing exit 27 for both directions.

To me, the most objectionable aspect of this assembly is the unfortunate placement of the new EXIT ONLY arrow for the Roswell Road-400 south exit. The new offramp leaves 285 as a single lane, then widens to two lanes before splitting. I think it would've been possible to stripe the offramp for two lanes with an option lane and thereby provide two arrows, one white and one black, one for each destination, with each directly over the appropriate lanes instead of confusingly far off as the lone arrow is now. Yes, I know that having a white down arrow over an option lane is a no-no per the MUTCD, but this assembly's previous incarnation had one, so drivers would be familiar with it. That's just me, though.

In case you haven't seen them yet, navigation here is also aided by these beautiful pavement shields, which are sure to become an Atlanta landmark.

I've stated repeatedly that the completed project will restripe the 285 mainline back to eight lanes from ten. With this recent change, the process has started: westbound 285 is now only four lanes from the Medusa split to just before Roswell Road. Speaking of which: this sign was still in service when I was there on Sunday afternoon even though that offramp is gone, never to return. Hopefully they'll get around to tarping it over before too long. I doubt that they'll bother taking it down until they demolish the bridge.

So of course all of these signs are temporary and sloppiness has always been allowed in construction zones. But using the US shield shape for i-285 markings is unbelievable even if only temporary.

Regarding those painted shields on the pavement, I'm ok with them and believe they are helpful, but on a fast-moving highway I've always wondered if they should be split apart (i.e. one shield sliced horizontally in the 3 or 4 pieces) and arranged with spacing so that you have more time to see the shield and interpret the message.

Some of you might remember that they used to reverse the word order painted on high speed roads so that "LANE END 1000 FT"  would be painted on the roadway in the opposite order of a top to bottom stack of words. it looked funny but was done in hopes you'd get the message while moving at high speed. The shields on the pavement as they are now have come and gone almost too quickly to read. You rely on the repeated markings to understand.

I'm still confounded about how GDOT never, ever installs gantries to be level and not lean downward to the left or the right. It's as if it's mandated to not be visually level.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.