AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Georgia  (Read 325655 times)

Tomahawkin

• Last Login: Today at 02:32:50 PM
Re: Georgia
« Reply #1100 on: March 11, 2018, 11:26:41 PM »

I think there are some being installed on 575 but don't quote me on that. There is speculation that in the future ads will be used on those as well much like the large electronic ads you see on the sides of the interstate. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that happens in 5 years, seeing a VMS With a ad attached to it or sponsored by a corporation

Tom958

• Last Login: September 17, 2018, 09:17:46 PM
« Reply #1101 on: March 12, 2018, 12:22:55 AM »

Changing message LED signs, 285 westbound at Cobb Parkway.

adventurernumber1

• David Carson

• Last Login: Today at 11:14:23 AM
« Reply #1102 on: March 13, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »

While driving around the Cumberland area today, I spotted a new electronic message sign that had been installed on Cumberland Parkway. Usually, things like this wouldn't catch my eye but this one was different, it had the shields displayed on the sign which is new for Georgia.

Cumberland Parkway by brandon walker, on Flickr

I cannot describe in words how mesmerizing that thing is. I don't think I have ever seen a style of VMS like that before - I hope they increase the usage of these, because they are so incredibly cool. I love the different colors, the Interstate Shields, and just about everything about it. I am glad to see that it looks like these beautiful things are starting to pop up in the Atlanta area. Thanks for the picture and info!!  :nod:

Tomahawkin

• Last Login: Today at 02:32:50 PM
« Reply #1103 on: March 13, 2018, 12:56:37 PM »

I think they are like that in the Miami Area as well. Found out this morning that the 75/575 toll lane expansion project should be completed around labor day of this year...I wonder what the next toll project will be for 2019 and beyond???

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:00 AM
« Reply #1104 on: March 14, 2018, 01:18:25 AM »

It's too bad the graphics still look pretty crude with their hard pixel edges. Anti-aliased graphics would look far better. Most LED-based variable message displays have custom designed controllers and message software. The software often uses proprietary pixel-based fonts that are also built into the sign's controller; the fonts just have hard edges. Some of these applications will allow use of Windows system fonts in messages, but those get turned into the same jaggy nonsense.

For nice looking lettering, logos, etc on LED signs the user will typically have to create images in other graphics programs (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, CorelDRAW, etc) and export still images or video files in the same pixel layout as the sign.

Eth

• Last Login: Today at 08:25:24 AM
« Reply #1105 on: March 14, 2018, 10:35:21 AM »

It's too bad the graphics still look pretty crude with their hard pixel edges. Anti-aliased graphics would look far better. Most LED-based variable message displays have custom designed controllers and message software. The software often uses proprietary pixel-based fonts that are also built into the sign's controller; the fonts just have hard edges. Some of these applications will allow use of Windows system fonts in messages, but those get turned into the same jaggy nonsense.

For nice looking lettering, logos, etc on LED signs the user will typically have to create images in other graphics programs (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, CorelDRAW, etc) and export still images or video files in the same pixel layout as the sign.

What's interesting is that here, it looks like the numbers inside the shields are anti-aliased, but the edges of the shields aren't. This seems like it should be a solvable issue.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:00 AM
« Reply #1106 on: March 14, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »

I think it's a matter of the message software supporting levels of transparency and layered objects. 

Tom958

• Last Login: September 17, 2018, 09:17:46 PM
« Reply #1107 on: March 17, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »

Well, a little over a week ago, on their third attempt, GDOT's troops finally fixed that APL on northbound 285 approaching Chamblee-Tucker Road and I-85. It didn't take quite two years.

So, of course, they made the same mistake again on the other side of town. This isn't my side of Atlanta so I don't know when it happened, but I don't think it's been this way for long. Ironically, the next sign, at the 285-75 split, was also an incorrect APL which they corrected while adding a VMS for the Northwest Corridor reversible express roadway that'll be opening this summer. Here, they arguably made it worse, though it'd be easy to fix.

In fact, a while back they actually did make this same mistake on the northern approach to this very 285-75 interchange, and it was corrected promptly. Hopefully that'll be the case here.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:22:23 PM by Tom958 »

afguy

• Last Login: Today at 02:24:34 AM
« Reply #1108 on: March 17, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »

I'm currently in Savannah and snapped a photo of a new sign gantry GDOT placed along I-16 East in Pooler. GDOT is also replacing the overhead signs along I-16 in Savannah.
Interstate 16 East-Pooler by brandon walker, on Flickr

afguy

« Reply #1109 on: March 19, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »

GDOT is planning to convert the I-75/SR 20/81 interchange in Henry County into a DDI. It would be the first on the southside...
http://www.dot.ga.gov/AboutGeorgia/Pages/GDOTAnnouncementDetails.aspx?postID=634

adventurernumber1

• David Carson

« Reply #1110 on: March 20, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »

GDOT is planning to convert the I-75/SR 20/81 interchange in Henry County into a DDI. It would be the first on the southside...
http://www.dot.ga.gov/AboutGeorgia/Pages/GDOTAnnouncementDetails.aspx?postID=634

I am very excited to hear the news of this possibility, and I definitely think that this could be a good thing, as I believe that exit might be pretty busy indeed. It really is interesting to see all these Diverging Diamond Interchanges popping up all over the Atlanta Metro Area, and it is exciting. I think that they'll just keep on coming in.  :nod:

afguy

« Reply #1111 on: March 23, 2018, 09:12:09 AM »

Here is a rendering of what the future I-75/SR 20 DDI will look like....
I-75/SR 20 DDI-Henry County by brandon walker, on Flickr

afguy

« Reply #1112 on: March 28, 2018, 11:04:05 PM »

I'm currently in Savannah right now and on my way back to my hotel I saw that the Truman Parkway still has a few signs that are illuminated at night. I believe these are the only ones still left in Georgia.
Truman Parkway Southbound-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr

Truman Parkway Northbound-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr

Truman Parkway Northbound-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr

afguy

« Reply #1113 on: March 29, 2018, 06:17:18 PM »

Update on the I-16/I-75 interchange project. Work is coming along rapidly on this project. Half of the new Walnut Street overpass over I-75 is nearly complete.
Interstate 75-Macon by brandon walker, on Flickr

adventurernumber1

• David Carson

« Reply #1114 on: March 30, 2018, 01:18:34 AM »

Update on the I-16/I-75 interchange project. Work is coming along rapidly on this project. Half of the new Walnut Street overpass over I-75 is nearly complete.

That's amazing. I will actually be traveling through Macon the weekend after this weekend, on a trip to Hilton Head Island, SC, and I absolutely cannot wait to see the progress on the I-75/I-16 interchange construction in person. Thank you for the pictures!  :nod:

TheArkansasRoadgeek

• The Dude

• Last Login: Today at 11:21:47 AM
Georgia
« Reply #1115 on: March 30, 2018, 08:05:52 PM »

I'm currently in Savannah right now and on my way back to my hotel I saw that the Truman Parkway still has a few signs that are illuminated at night. I believe these are the only ones still left in Georgia.
Did GDOTs sign shop have a stroke when making the sign to the left?

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Eth

« Reply #1116 on: March 30, 2018, 08:48:16 PM »

Sign shop conversation:

Person #1: "Hey, you know 'Derenne' is supposed to have a capital R in it, right?"
Person #2: "I can take the r out, but I can't fit a capital R in there and I really don't want to remake the whole sign."
Person #1: "Eh, just make it smaller. Nobody will notice."

afguy

« Reply #1117 on: March 30, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »

As much flack as GDOT gets for signs, this one can't be blamed on them. The Harry Truman Parkway was built and is maintained by Chatham County. It's one of the few county-maintained freeways in the state, the others being Veterans Parkway(Chatham), Ronald Reagan Parkway(Gwinnett) and the Sugarloaf Parkway Extension(Gwinnett).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 10:59:07 PM by afguy »

TheArkansasRoadgeek

• The Dude

• Last Login: Today at 11:21:47 AM
« Reply #1118 on: March 31, 2018, 01:12:19 AM »

Sign shop conversation:

Person #1: "Hey, you know 'Derenne' is supposed to have a capital R in it, right?"
Person #2: "I can take the r out, but I can't fit a capital R in there and I really don't want to remake the whole sign."
Person #1: "Eh, just make it smaller. Nobody will notice."
With the R in there it throws the already terrible spacing off even worse!

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

afguy

« Reply #1119 on: April 03, 2018, 02:35:59 PM »

GDOT is planning more roundabouts. This time two are planned for Columbus at Spur 22 and Macon Road and Spur 22 at Lynch Road/Technology Pkwy.
Spur 22/Lynch Rd/Technology Pkwy Roundabout-Columbus,GA by brandon walker, on Flickr

Macon Rd/Spur 22 Roundabout-Columbus,GA by brandon walker, on Flickr

Eth

« Reply #1120 on: April 15, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »

Speaking of roundabouts, it seems they're starting to become quite common up in north Georgia. I passed through about a half-dozen of them while clinching GA 372 yesterday, including what appears to be one under construction at the intersection with GA 369. There's also one at GA 183's east end at GA 53 that looks like it was recently finished; I guess that explains what all the orange barrels were for the last time I went through there in February 2017.

adventurernumber1

• David Carson

Georgia
« Reply #1121 on: April 15, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »

Speaking of roundabouts, it seems they're starting to become quite common up in north Georgia. I passed through about a half-dozen of them while clinching GA 372 yesterday, including what appears to be one under construction at the intersection with GA 369. There's also one at GA 183's east end at GA 53 that looks like it was recently finished; I guess that explains what all the orange barrels were for the last time I went through there in February 2017.

Up here in my neck of the woods, there was even plans for at least two different roundabouts, but both of them were scrapped, IIRC.

Near Dalton, GA, at I-75's Exit 326 (Carbondale Rd.), there was plans to build three different roundabouts. There was going to be two at both sets of on/off ramps at I-75, and one at US 41 (which is right next to the interchange). They have still started major construction on this exit, but from what I can tell, the plans for roundabouts specifically were scrapped.

Also, up until now, there was a very bad traffic situation in Dalton, Georgia at I-75's Exit 333 (GA SR 52; Walnut Ave., Dalton). College Drive used to intersect Georgia Highway 52 right there where the actual interchange was. This intersection was not signalized, and it was way too close to the on/off ramps for traffic to flow very well. Finally, construction was started to fix this problem by realigning College Dr. with West Bridge Road, and creating a new signalized intersection there. However, originally, they were throwing around the idea of creating a roundabout at GA SR 52 and College Dr. They rightfully decided that in this case, that wouldn't be the best decision, so instead, they built a regular signalized intersection, and the roundabout idea was scrapped.

In the past few months, the College Dr/GA SR 52 intersection construction was finished, but here is what the road configuration looked like before, which was really bad:

Tennessee has really started adding a lot of roundabouts, especially in the eastern part of the Chattanooga Metro Area (also in my neck of the woods), particularly in East Brainerd. There's been a lot of growth there, and I find it fascinating how they are sprucing up the road system there (such as adding those roundabouts). I have yet to see any of those new ones in person, but I would love to do so soon.  :nod:

lordsutch

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:32 PM
« Reply #1122 on: April 16, 2018, 05:14:33 PM »

GDOT is planning more roundabouts. This time two are planned for Columbus at Spur 22 and Macon Road and Spur 22 at Lynch Road/Technology Pkwy.
Spur 22/Lynch Rd/Technology Pkwy Roundabout-Columbus,GA by brandon walker, on Flickr

Not necessarily a bad idea, but that roundabout is going to lock up bad when trains come through. Not that I've ever seen a train on that line anytime I've driven through Columbus, mind you.

Also, nitpick: that one is not on Spur 22, it's on mainline Ga. 22 (better known as US 80, sorta-kinda-maybe part of the "Fall Line Freeway" depending on exactly where GDOT claims it starts).

Gnutella

• Last Login: Today at 10:59:32 AM
« Reply #1123 on: April 16, 2018, 11:20:08 PM »

DeRenne Ave  :-D

2Co5_14

• Last Login: August 15, 2018, 04:21:35 PM
« Reply #1124 on: April 18, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »

Up here in my neck of the woods, there was even plans for at least two different roundabouts, but both of them were scrapped, IIRC.

Near Dalton, GA, at I-75's Exit 326 (Carbondale Rd.), there was plans to build three different roundabouts. There was going to be two at both sets of on/off ramps at I-75, and one at US 41 (which is right next to the interchange). They have still started major construction on this exit, but from what I can tell, the plans for roundabouts specifically were scrapped.

From checking the approved construction plans on GDOT Projects website, it looks like the I-75 Exit 326 ramps at Carbondale Rd. and the US 41 intersection will in fact be getting roundabouts.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/BS/Projects/ProjectSearch# (search using project number: " 610890- "; then click "Related Documents")
http://www.dot.ga.gov/applications/geopi/Pages/Dashboard.aspx?ProjectID=610890-

I didn't personally work on this project, but I know the engineers who did.  I actually used these intersections as an example problem on doing roundabout traffic analysis, as a part of the internal training class I used to teach for roadway design engineers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.