AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Georgia  (Read 451857 times)

Tomahawkin

• Last Login: Today at 12:00:39 AM
Re: Georgia
« Reply #1600 on: April 04, 2021, 10:09:00 PM »

I so cant wait to see what Spaghetti Junction will look like with toll lane flyovers in 8 years... With that said there is little room to build around that interchange and the C/D Roads that access the surface streets in that area....Same with the Express lanes that will be on 285 east of Atlanta in 4 years....

architect77

• Last Login: April 13, 2021, 04:40:20 PM
« Reply #1601 on: April 05, 2021, 12:04:36 AM »

I'm worried about the longevity of Spaghetti Junction though.

I doubt those box girder flyovers were initially designed be fully loaded with heavy 18 wheelers that sit for 16 hours a day moving ever so slowly.

I know they can handle it, but when I was in school in structures class we were taught to consider the most extreme loading conditions, calculate them, but then design for 80% of that because it was so unlikely.

Hopefully if one of them ever had to be replaced, they would go about it like with the I-85 collapse: they rebuilt it to match the existing which was one of my biggest initial worries, because aesthetics get virtually no consideration at GDOT.

The express lanes will be ugly segmented flyovers like everything GDOT has produced since the 1990s. They will surround the elegant Tom Moreland Interchange that might not even get cleaned off or fixed up.

Remember everyone that these ultra expensive interchange rebuilds are the consequence of never building any other alternates or nearby parallel roads to relieve our big interstate trunks.

These convoluted interchanges wouldn't cost a billion each if another smaller freeway was offering connectivity and redundancy.

Finrod

• Last Login: Today at 07:13:34 AM
« Reply #1602 on: April 05, 2021, 04:08:56 AM »

These convoluted interchanges wouldn't cost a billion each if another smaller freeway was offering connectivity and redundancy.

Tell it to the Atlanta mayor that nixed the idea of extending 400 south of I-85 with a tunnel ten years ago or so.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Gnutella

• Last Login: April 09, 2021, 01:14:56 AM
« Reply #1603 on: April 05, 2021, 04:09:55 PM »

Just saw on the ajc that around 830 million will be allocated to a 35 mile stretch of SR 316 to make it Freeway grade from Gwinnett to Oconee counties. This was 20+ years overdue IMO. I hope they replace the Riverside KWY bridge and add more exit ramps to the side roads in Gwinnett county. Sugarloaf and SR 20 both are utter hell to drive because of the traffic and has been for over a decade

This is what I've read is in store for Gwinnett County:

1. Hi-Hope Road will get an interchange, which will tie into the GA 20/GA 124/Collins Hill Road Interchange.

2. Progress Center Avenue will get an overpass.

3. Cedars Road will have no access to or from GA 316 eastbound, and will get a "RIRO" on GA 316 westbound.

4. Hurricane Trail will get an interchange.

5. Fence Road will have its terminus moved from GA 316 to Winder Highway, which will get an interchange.

6. Oak Valley Road and Williams Farm Drive will get a frontage road to access GA 316 at the new Harbins Road interchange.

7. Drowning Creek Road will get an interchange.

architect77

« Reply #1604 on: April 05, 2021, 05:43:10 PM »

Regarding Gwinnett County:

They do make things happen and are trying to facilitate the growth to a degree.

I'd like to see the dangling shield signs on the Pleasant Hill Diverging Diamond interchange repaired after being that way for 2+ years. In fact this spot needs some reduction in the cluttered pieces of the diverging diamond. It's a small interchange and doesn't look good. Even if some of the black posts needed to be changed or eliminated, I think it would be worth simplifying.

I'd like to see the overheads near the 316 interchange that used a different yellow that's severely faded for EXIT ONLY portion replaced.

Jimmy Carter needs plenty of attention for replacing faded street signs.

If they could manage to do a good install job, the tiny lane shield signs strung over I-85 interchanges should be replaced with larger overhead, cantlievered desitnation signs like other states have.

Altanta and Georgia are in the big leagues now and overhead signs at junctions with interstates are needed. It's a huge, glaring omission.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1605 on: April 05, 2021, 06:55:20 PM »

Can you add state route 20 to the Gwinnett county wishlist???  That route is utter hell from Grayson to the Mall of GA. IMO SR 20 Should be 3 lanes in both directions along its entire route in GA

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 01:27:48 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #1606 on: April 05, 2021, 10:14:27 PM »

IMO SR 20 Should be 3 lanes in both directions along its entire route in GA

That would be a complete waste of money west of Cumming.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1607 on: April 05, 2021, 11:58:37 PM »

Welp, since no outer perimeter will be built. SR 20 Is the closest thing to that in the north suburbs of Atlanta. Its better to be proactive than reactive as our BASS-ACKWARD Gov't has been over the last 30 years

What do you suggest???

architect77

« Reply #1608 on: April 06, 2021, 03:54:38 PM »

Welp, since no outer perimeter will be built. SR 20 Is the closest thing to that in the north suburbs of Atlanta. Its better to be proactive than reactive as our BASS-ACKWARD Gov't has been over the last 30 years

What do you suggest???

I agree. It's the obvious corridor that could be the closest adjunct to I-285 Top End for East-West travel.

But I remember a few years ago some residents along GA20 were fighting a small stretch being widened for a very local purpose.

However that is expected just as the default reaction to any announcement involving change.

There is a 2 lane road that goes through Jasper near big canoe that has hellacious traffic  primarily 18 wheelers going very fast on the winding and hilly road.

I don't know where they are going or coming from, but that indicates another need for some better East-West throughput North of the metro.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1609 on: April 07, 2021, 08:20:24 PM »

Found out yesterday that work will began on replacing both the Covington HWY and Glenwood Rd. Bridges late this year. Both replacements will take 2-3 years and are the beginning stages of the 285 East express lane project in Dekalb county which IIRC will not be completed til 2028. That is too long of a construction project to just add 1 added lane in both directions on 285, IMO. Plus there will not be any express lane flyover ramps. The only ramps will only be limited to about 2-3 interchanges at bridges that GDOT plans to have ramps added...

Georgia

• Last Login: April 13, 2021, 05:33:07 PM
« Reply #1610 on: April 07, 2021, 10:14:26 PM »

here is the MMIP program timeline

https://cdn.majormobilityga.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/18105911/MMIP-Timeline-Updated_19.pdf

Last updated in December though

Gnutella

• Last Login: April 09, 2021, 01:14:56 AM
« Reply #1611 on: April 07, 2021, 11:35:58 PM »

I can't wait until I-85 is widened to six lanes all the way up to South Carolina.

architect77

« Reply #1612 on: April 08, 2021, 01:24:01 PM »

I can't wait until I-85 is widened to six lanes all the way up to South Carolina.

There aren't any plans to do that I don't think. The completion of the current 3rd lane project to US129 is all there is officiially. That's not even up to Commerce.

I'm not complaining though because at least I-85 is in good condition unlike I-20 to Augusta which is bad shape in several spots.

architect77

« Reply #1613 on: April 08, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »

Found out yesterday that work will began on replacing both the Covington HWY and Glenwood Rd. Bridges late this year. Both replacements will take 2-3 years and are the beginning stages of the 285 East express lane project in Dekalb county which IIRC will not be completed til 2028. That is too long of a construction project to just add 1 added lane in both directions on 285, IMO. Plus there will not be any express lane flyover ramps. The only ramps will only be limited to about 2-3 interchanges at bridges that GDOT plans to have ramps added...

I went to that open house meeting a couple of years ago. I think that I-285 East will have a lot of rebuilding of the general purpose lanes as they try to fit everything in the existing right of way. It's not just an adding of an express lane beside the existing roadway.

I say that because I remember seeing them planning for one general purpose lane to be 11' wide rather than 12' and I was like, no, don't do that for a rebuild that's gotta serve the next 50 years. Do it right and find or buy the extra space for the correct width.

I-85' used to have 5 wide luxurious lanes in Gwinnett until they painted the HOV lane into existence. 2 inner right lanes are now 11' wide and it's no longer pleasant to drive on I-85 because of that.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1614 on: April 08, 2021, 07:06:26 PM »

@architect77

Can they please add overhead lighting to 285? 285 has to be the busiest interstate in the country with little overhead lighting?

Finrod

« Reply #1615 on: April 09, 2021, 05:08:16 PM »

Georgia desperately needs something that goes east-west north of Atlanta, besides I-285.  No matter whether it's called the Outer Perimeter or something else at another latitude, some kind of expressway between I-75 and I-85 needs to happen, and traffic is only going to get worse until then.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

architect77

« Reply #1616 on: April 10, 2021, 03:43:34 PM »

Georgia desperately needs something that goes east-west north of Atlanta, besides I-285.  No matter whether it's called the Outer Perimeter or something else at another latitude, some kind of expressway between I-75 and I-85 needs to happen, and traffic is only going to get worse until then.

I'm sure I've posted this before but this is after lunch, weekday, Summer, basically at the time of least traffic on a typical day, and on the other side trucks sit in queue for 5-10 miles waiting to transition from I-85 Southbound to I-285 Westbound.

I can't believe the leaders of this state can live with this. Sadly I bet most Americans don't even realize that this chokepoint is because multiple state's traffic have no other way to get across Georgia. They just likely attribute it to big city congestion and brush it aside.

But its due to a very real inadequacy.

IMG_0324 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1617 on: April 11, 2021, 06:38:38 PM »

@architect77

its the same way from 285 SB to 85 NB. Even on weekends that 3 lane flyover ramp is full with trucks, backups can start beyond P.I.B. That flyover is heavily stressed and I always wonder how the hell does it continuously hold that weight and stress without failing? i avoid that interchange like the plague

architect77

« Reply #1618 on: April 13, 2021, 03:54:04 PM »

Tell it to the Atlanta mayor that nixed the idea of extending 400 south of I-85 with a tunnel ten years ago or so.

Well, that tunnel was part of another "too little too late" analysis done by an out of state consulting firm hired to assess Atlanta's mobility problems.

The tunnel wasn't a good idea nor all that realistic. Who would want to drive in a dark 9 mile tunnel in beautiful, sunny Atlanta? Unless it was an efficient almost duplicate of the downtown connector that didn't involve a lot of extra maneuvering to rejoin 75/85 then I doubt if enough traffic would be going to its end points to justify the cost or efforts.

Then in Atlanta you must think about if it would become a refuge for homeless people like overpasses downtown have become. Lots of liability issues for the city and state would be part of any tunnel idea.

An 18 wheeler knocked down an overhead gantry on the East wall of I-285 yesterday. I saw the photo on Dekalb Police website.
I wonder if this is the reason the overhead signs are made from many horizontal slats rather the big sheets of metal. All but the bottom slat had fallen off the gantry and I guess it's less weight potentially falling and injuring someone.

Tomahawkin

« Reply #1619 on: Today at 12:00:39 AM »

I work in that area, literally 1/2 mile from that crash, near Emory Decatur hospital. Traffic was off the chain everywhere in the area, there is no excuse for many of the roads to just have 2 lanes and no designed MARTA bus stops where its not in the center of the road, impeding traffic and making it dangerous for pedrestrians. This is a citywide issue, especially in Midtown and has been for decades

Finrod

« Reply #1620 on: Today at 07:08:44 AM »

The tunnel wasn't a good idea nor all that realistic. Who would want to drive in a dark 9 mile tunnel in beautiful, sunny Atlanta? Unless it was an efficient almost duplicate of the downtown connector that didn't involve a lot of extra maneuvering to rejoin 75/85 then I doubt if enough traffic would be going to its end points to justify the cost or efforts.

I'm guessing you've never been on I-85 South approaching the Connector and seen the messageboard signs quoting more than 30 minutes to get to I-20.

The tunnel would be the hard part.  The easy part would be continuing the expressway to I-675 at I-285, like the original Atlanta freeway design had.  Then people from the south side could get to Buckhead and the Perimeter area without getting on either the Perimeter or the Connector, and vise-versa.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.