photos of old signs on the internet

Started by agentsteel53, January 28, 2009, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Quote from: jemacedo9 on January 27, 2011, 10:07:08 PM
District 6 subcontracts out their signs

I don't think they do this anymore. Every new install I've seen within the past few months have had the PennDOT logo on the bottom. Of course, I could be wrong.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jemacedo9

Ian

I do too. The contractor ones always look off and the signs with the PennDOT symbol are cooler.
Youtube l Flickr

froggie

Found a few old Interstate shields near Barracks Row a few months ago.  Finally got around to photographing them yesterday.

This one's not that big of a deal, except that it uses "D.C." for the state name and is the only standalone I-295 shield I've seen on or along 8th St SE.

These next two, though, caught my eye:

Note how the numbering appears to be peeling off the first one, but more curious is how these shields represet a route that hasn't existed in the area in question in over 30 years.  These were at 7th and I SE.

Another I-295 "D.C." shield at 7th and Virginia SE.

I should go back in a few months to reshoot these, once better weather and better lighting return.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on January 30, 2011, 07:55:02 PM
Note how the numbering appears to be peeling off the first one, but more curious is how these shields represet a route that hasn't existed in the area in question in over 30 years.
That's because '395' is peeling off.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

On that note, looks like a remnant "395" has mostly peeled off the other sheild as well.  At first, I thought it was some sort of graffiti on the southbound shield.

Alps

Well, ahem, looks like I'll be down in DC in short order then.

kharvey10

US 40 Westbound (Missouri) at I-55 SOUTH: I-44 WEST, I-70 WEST & Memorial Drive - (1983) by poundsdwayne47, on Flickr

that one was shot during National Lampoon's Summer Vacation, which predates the I-64 extension in Missouri

US71

This isn't extremely old, but is *somewhat* old

Most AR 5 shields now use Series D

This assembly also pre-dates the larger initial letter in the directional banner.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MDOTFanFB

Here's a new one. The exact location of this is being kept a secret.

agentsteel53

I think I know where that one is.  Jim Lindsay and I found about eight of those in February, 2010.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Here is one I photographed yesterday. Modern PA 29 shields, but a nice old button copy LGS:
Youtube l Flickr

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 06, 2011, 12:31:51 PM
Here is one I photographed yesterday. Modern PA 29 shields, but a nice old button copy LGS:[/img]

You took it on the exact same day I took the old unisign that still mentions the Lodge as U.S. 10!!!

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on January 30, 2011, 07:55:02 PM
Note how the numbering appears to be peeling off the first one,

reminds me of this sign:

with extra rare "WASHINGTON DC" original designation!

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Went into Philadelphia today and photographed some remaining button copy signs left on I-76. Here is my personal favorite from the trip:
Youtube l Flickr

national highway 1

It seems to me that the sixes in the 676 are leaning over to the right, but however, I like the distance of 4/10 mile.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Mergingtraffic

Can we get back to posting old signs photos?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Ian

I stumbled upon this gem on US 130 southbound near Deepwater, NJ today...

Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

is that cast iron or cast aluminum?  NJ used both.  very nice find! 

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

My guess was cast iron....

but cast aluminum is also pretty hefty...(based upon the NJ 35)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 26, 2011, 04:00:52 PM
I stumbled upon this gem on US 130 southbound near Deepwater, NJ today...

I'm glad to see that's still there! Guess I didn't see it because it was knocked over. It's definitely cast iron.

Ian

Yeah I was shocked to find it still hanging around. Anyone think I should contact the railroad company to try and get it for my collection? :D
Youtube l Flickr

D-Dey65

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 12, 2011, 06:44:32 PM
Went into Philadelphia today and photographed some remaining button copy signs left on I-76. Here is my personal favorite from the trip:

Dammit! You people are making me more eager to stop in Philadelphia, when I take my next trip up north!

ctsignguy

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 27, 2011, 12:14:22 PM
Yeah I was shocked to find it still hanging around. Anyone think I should contact the railroad company to try and get it for my collection? :D

Why not? Nothing to lose.....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

NE2

That would be Conrail. But aren't signs on state highways generally owned by the state?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.