News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

D.C. police operate speed camera in Maryland

Started by cpzilliacus, August 05, 2014, 05:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on August 16, 2014, 03:34:42 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on August 16, 2014, 11:00:20 AMIn WV, the state police are assigned, more or less, to a particular county.  They do whatever they do in said county, which would range from random tax work on the local interstate or corridor, to drugs, to general criminal work, to whatever.  And they are paid out of tax money.

West Virginia has more state police posts, stations, precincts or whatever term one might want to use, than just about any state I've ever been in. Kentucky has a number of posts (16, I think) and the post areas are grouped by counties. There's one post headquarters in the post area (it's possible some posts may have more than one HQ building or an auxiliary/satellite post HQ, I don't know.).

Seems to me that WV has at least one HQ building per county, maybe more.

Virginia State Police has about 48 "Area Offices," which can serve a part of a large county (like Fairfax) or can serve as many as three or four counties and independent cities, which are organized in to 7 divisions.

As I understand it, each county has at least one trooper assigned to it (apparently some of the really small and rural counties have exactly one, who can get called out when off-duty).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

MDRoads

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 16, 2014, 10:26:49 AM
Montgomery County, Maryland used to do the same thing with Maryland-plated vehicles who loaded up with refreshment at liquor stores on the D.C. side of the line (Montgomery County has the only county-owned alcohol monopoly that I am aware of in the United States).

I remember seeing a county-owned store just inside Somerset County MD, on US 13 just north of Pocomoke City.  Not sure though if they have a total monopoly.

SP Cook

Quote from: MDRoads on August 24, 2014, 05:39:46 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 16, 2014, 10:26:49 AM
Montgomery County, Maryland used to do the same thing with Maryland-plated vehicles who loaded up with refreshment at liquor stores on the D.C. side of the line (Montgomery County has the only county-owned alcohol monopoly that I am aware of in the United States).

I remember seeing a county-owned store just inside Somerset County MD, on US 13 just north of Pocomoke City.  Not sure though if they have a total monopoly.

NC has a county element to its liquor system.  State runs the wholesale and either the city or the county runs the retail.  Not sure how big a city has to be to get separate from the county.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.