AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Future of US 12 in Wisconsin  (Read 1394 times)

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: October 19, 2017, 05:02:49 PM
Re: The Future of US 12 in Wisconsin
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »

My case for continued improvements to US 12 between Madison and Elkhorn is once there is a bypass of Ft. Atkinson and the 'corner cut' is complete, US 12 to I-43 becomes an attractive alternate route between Madison and Milwaukee.  2 lanes would be just fine for this purpose.

I also think looking at some improvements between Madison and Fort Atkinson make sense.  I don't know if this would be addressed when they look at the I-39/90 interchange, but the Millpond Road and County AB intersections just east of the interchange are terrible. 

AB has an interchange in its future.  The City of Madison sees a four-lane divided arterial road running north on AB from there transitioning into Sprecher Rd and on north toward Sun Prairie.
Millpond would get an overpass and some dumb little jughandle ramps in the last preferred alternative for the Beltline interchange before it was put on hold for lack of funding.

And the expense and controversy of cutting through the Kettle Moraine likely means it will politically never fly.

A two-lane option would not need any more r/w through the Kettle Moraine.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of those signals on the Whitewater bypass replaced with super-2 interchanges, now that I think about it.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

GeekJedi

• Last Login: Today at 02:01:11 PM
    • The Geek Jedi
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2017, 07:01:02 AM »

My case for continued improvements to US 12 between Madison and Elkhorn is once there is a bypass of Ft. Atkinson and the 'corner cut' is complete, US 12 to I-43 becomes an attractive alternate route between Madison and Milwaukee.  2 lanes would be just fine for this purpose.

Except that proposal will likely never actually happen. Well, perhaps the Ft. Atkinson bypass, but I don't see much else happening there for political and financial reasons. I see the upgraded I-90 and the shiny new 70MPH speed limits being the solution for now, with any preferred route being US-12 to I-43 to I-90.

"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SEWIGuy

• Last Login: Today at 06:29:15 PM
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »

Except that proposal will likely never actually happen. Well, perhaps the Ft. Atkinson bypass, but I don't see much else happening there for political and financial reasons. I see the upgraded I-90 and the shiny new 70MPH speed limits being the solution for now, with any preferred route being US-12 to I-43 to I-90.

Yeah I live in Fort Atkinson, I can't see US-12 being a legitimate alternative to I-94 from Madison to Milwaukee.  I don't even take it now when I want an alternative. 

EDIT:  In looking this up, the better alternative to I-94 from say Monona to MKE airport is I-39/90 south, WI-59 east, County N to Whitewater, US-12 east, and WI-20 east to East Troy.

I-39/90 swings eastward south of Madison, and with the increased speed limit, makes it a better alternative than US-12.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 02:26:43 PM by SEWIGuy »

dvferyance

• Last Login: Today at 02:38:04 PM
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »

Probably the best alternative is to take 19 to Watertown then 16 to Waukesha. Much of 16 is already a freeway or at least 4 lane.

I-39

• Last Login: October 09, 2017, 10:02:34 PM
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »

The Ft. Atkinson bypass will never happen as there is too much opposition. And at this point, it is not really needed.

It's time to get real about further freeway upgrades to US 12 between Elkhorn and Madison. It will never connect to anything in Illinois (and won't draw a ton of traffic as a result) and with the recent/ongoing rebuilding & widening of I-39/90 between Madison and I-294, that should be more than enough to handle traffic for a while. Plus, building more freeway leads to more maintenance costs in the future, and WisDOT already overbuilt elsewhere in the state, so dollars will be stretched very thin in the future. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.