AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is Chicago done with new expressways?  (Read 915 times)

inkyatari

• Last Login: Today at 11:03:45 AM
Is Chicago done with new expressways?
« on: August 25, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »

With money problems, NIMBYism, and so on, is Chicago done building new expressways after the EOE / Ohare West Access is done?  Chicago has one of, if not the, most insufficient expressway systems in the country, despite some much needed highways (The Fox Valley Expressway, Crosstown, 53 northern extension, Illiana, etc.) having been planned or proposed.

I just don't see a future for highways in the Chicago area.  Even the widening of I-80 from New Lenox to Minooka seems unlikely at this point.

silverback1065

• Last Login: Today at 11:11:29 AM
Re: Is Chicago done with new expressways?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »

Yes they are (Imo)

SEWIGuy

• Last Login: Today at 11:36:44 AM
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 11:03:25 AM »

Outside of improvements along existing corridors, IMO yes...

quickshade

• Last Login: October 18, 2017, 08:12:05 PM
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »

Considering they are still investing in studies on 53 extension I would suspect that would be done in the next 10 years.

vdeane

• Last Login: October 19, 2017, 08:19:49 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »

What about the Hypotenuse?  :bigass:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Milwaukee, WY

• Last Login: Today at 11:41:33 AM
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »

What about the Hypotenuse?  :bigass:

Oh boy...

johndoe780

• Last Login: Today at 06:02:20 AM
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »

Funding remains the largest issue, which isn't isolated to Illinois either. It all depends if president orange is willing to pony up the funds for more highways.

There's plenty of future highway needs in places like Kane county, i.e. EOE West, connecting 80 to 88, etc.

In more Urban cook county, it's kinda hard to expand due to lack of raw space and they'd rather spend the $$$ on public transportation than highway infrastructure due to the density of cook county.

I mean if you look at metra Milwaukee West, Union Pacific West or bnsf. They'd rather spend the money and expand those lines westward to say Hampshire, DeKalb, sandwich, etc than to spend the funds with highways.

Just look at the expansion of the blue line to O'Hare or the orange line for instance.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 03:28:09 PM by johndoe780 »

ET21

• Last Login: Today at 09:54:09 AM
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 03:55:52 PM »

Yup, unless they wanna convert established corridors to expressways which could mean major re-construction of businesses along said routes (IL-50 for the crosstown comes to mind)
"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from" -Chrysler 300 commercial

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-196

NIU Huskies: NCCAF MAC Conference Champions (2011, 2012, 2014)

Chicago Blackhawks: Stanley Cup Champions (2010, 2013, 2015)

I-39

• Last Login: October 09, 2017, 10:02:34 PM
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »

Yes.

I don't see the IL-53 extension happening at this point. It is just too controversial. And the Illiana and Prairie Parkway are dead for all intents and purposes.

At this point, Chicagoland will simply have to focus on improving local roads and expanding mass transit.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 09:25:14 AM
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »

Yes.

I don't see the IL-53 extension happening at this point. It is just too controversial. And the Illiana and Prairie Parkway are dead for all intents and purposes.

At this point, Chicagoland will simply have to focus on improving local roads and expanding mass transit.
IL 53 North, the Tollway is still studying. It will take Political will to push it thru...

I think a renewed push for the Illiana may arrive, if InDOT and/or the towns of Northern IN are serious about having US 30 upgraded to a Freeway in Indiana. But unless/until that happens, the Illiana is dead

Randall Road should have been upgraded to an Expressway...but that ship has sailed. Probably even an Expressway upgrade of IL 47 has sailed at this point. Are you really going to build an Expressway between IL 47 and I-39? Sure, why not...But if you do, Southern IL needs the I-24 extension to Saint Louis, too! Because a North-South Expressway around DeKalb and Hinckley and Sandwich probably isn't that necessary

Revive 755

• Last Login: October 17, 2017, 08:17:50 PM
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »

I will vote maybe.  No one has mentioned in this thread any possible extension/upgrading of IL 394 (which is likely if the South Suburban Airport takes off), and neither the Illiana nor Prairie Parkway corridors have been completely filled in by development yet to rule out resurrections.

If ISTHA does not propose any new construction after the Elgin O'Hare and Central Tri-State work wraps up, then I will agree with Chicagoland being done with new expressways.

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: Today at 12:04:24 PM
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »

Yes.

IL 53 North, the Tollway is still studying. It will take Political will to push it thru...

I think a renewed push for the Illiana may arrive, if InDOT and/or the towns of Northern IN are serious about having US 30 upgraded to a Freeway in Indiana. But unless/until that happens, the Illiana is dead

Randall Road should have been upgraded to an Expressway...but that ship has sailed. Probably even an Expressway upgrade of IL 47 has sailed at this point. Are you really going to build an Expressway between IL 47 and I-39? Sure, why not...But if you do, Southern IL needs the I-24 extension to Saint Louis, too! Because a North-South Expressway around DeKalb and Hinckley and Sandwich probably isn't that necessary
palatine road upgrade?? there is room to do something.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 09:25:14 AM
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 10:17:41 PM »

I'd love to see it...

Palatine Road tries so hard to be an Expressway, but just doesn't quite make it...

I think Palatine Road would be a good one to "Keystone" or "Meridian" to borrow from Carmel, Indiana...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:20:20 PM by ilpt4u »

Revive 755

• Last Login: October 17, 2017, 08:17:50 PM
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 12:15:47 PM »

Maybe if Palatine is turned over to ISTHA.

Theoretically, IL 64/North Avenue west of I-355 could be upgraded into a tight expressway with frontage roads, but it would be much more likely to see a fourth through lane added each way - which a lot of the shoulder appears designed to accommodate.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: Today at 10:10:07 AM
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »

Rauner will be out of office after next year.  I can see the Illiana coming forth again.   :biggrin:
C-o-H

edwaleni

• Last Login: October 12, 2017, 12:37:13 AM
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »

In the Chicago city limits, nothing new (like the Crosstown) will ever be done. Only reconstructions and rebuilds.

In the next urban band around Chicago, only super-arterial upgrades and the ISTHA work around O'Hare.

In the first suburban band, the I-53 North Extension will be done. IDOT owns 90% of the land now which is all ISTHA will need.

In the second suburban band will include the IL-120 (Waukegan to IL-53 Extension).

The Fox Valley Freeway was killed years ago and suburban infill makes it too difficult now to plan for.

A connector from I-80 near Morris to the Illiana is still a possibility as the land is still easy to acquire. Really depends on Indiana and the Peotone Airport.

Even if it isn't "needed" today, they should still be purchasing ROW to stay strategic.

In the third suburban band, Prairie Parkway is dead and the current land use policies in this territory don't support the traffic requirements.

As far Chicago as a whole, the State of Illinois through the RTA already invests a significant amount of dough to regional transit.

With the onset of self driving transit vehicles just around the corner, transit forms like Metra and the CTA will continue to function for large scale mobility.

For local transit, look for self driving pods to replace buses on local drops and buses will shift to super arterials where streetcar/light rail is impractical.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.