AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: What Do Locals Call Your Part Of The State???  (Read 13330 times)

Mrt90

• Last Login: September 20, 2019, 02:10:42 PM
Re: What Do Locals Call Your Part Of The State???
« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2019, 05:37:53 PM »

The high school conference in that part of Wisconsin is called the Fox Valley Association, so the term Fox Valley is definitely used up there, too.  I live and work in between those two areas and I hear it used in reference to Wisconsin much more than Illinois. 

There's actually some discussion of the 2 Fox Valleys much earlier in this topic.  So to repeat myself from earlier, the Fox River in the Appleton, Wisconsin area and the Fox River in Elgin, Illinois are not the same river, although the Fox River that runs though the Fox Valley in Illinois begins in Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:44:40 PM by Mrt90 »

allniter89

• siss boom baa... rotflmao!

• Last Login: September 22, 2019, 11:15:16 PM
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2019, 10:06:06 PM »

yonder :bigass:

Conn. Roads

• Last Login: September 22, 2019, 07:49:24 PM
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2019, 05:42:34 AM »

The Connecticut River area of Massachusetts is called the Pioneer Valley.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:02:28 AM
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2019, 12:35:05 PM »

MA probably still has signs up in a couple of places that say entering or leaving the pioneer valley.  The thing is that I think those signs stretch the definition.  As soon as you hit the hills, especially to the west, people don't think of themselves as part of the valley.

There is also something of a political divide as the hilltowns lean more conservative compared to say, the liberal meccas of Northampton and Amherst.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 07:31:50 AM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2019, 12:40:15 PM »

MA probably still has signs up in a couple of places that say entering or leaving the pioneer valley.  The thing is that I think those signs stretch the definition.  As soon as you hit the hills, especially to the west, people don't think of themselves as part of the valley.

There is also something of a political divide as the hilltowns lean more conservative compared to say, the liberal meccas of Northampton and Amherst.

Both the 2016 precinct map and the current state legislature delegation show that almost everything west of I-91/US 5 is liberal (basically an extension of Vermont), while the more conservative area is the part between Springfield and Worcester.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒚14⒈159
NH 27, 111A(E); NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A; CT 32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr

Rothman

« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2019, 02:06:59 PM »

Both the 2016 precinct map and the current state legislature delegation show that almost everything west of I-91/US 5 is liberal (basically an extension of Vermont), while the more conservative area is the part between Springfield and Worcester.

Your analysis is making too broad of a conclusion given actual nuances in the composition of the population.

Like I said, compared to Northampton and Amherst.  There is definitely a higher number of conservatives as you go west, no matter which way the majority elects their representatives.

The conservatism of the area east of the Valley went without saying, although the idea that Amherst isn't liberal is laughable, going by your generalization.

In any matter, my overall point is that the signs regarding the Valley are further out than some people really consider the Valley.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: September 22, 2019, 06:58:12 PM
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »

It seems like Massachusetts just signs it that way for the whole 55 miles of I-91, from the Connecticut and Vermont borders. Here it's simply central Connecticut while some will say greater Hartford. I get to within a few hundred feet of the state's geographical center on my walks in Berlin. Without giving the exact address away, I'll just say it's very close to CT Route 372, where traffic dumps out onto it from the Berlin Fair every September.

The Nature Boy

• Last Login: September 22, 2019, 10:10:28 PM
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2019, 10:06:23 PM »

Your analysis is making too broad of a conclusion given actual nuances in the composition of the population.

Like I said, compared to Northampton and Amherst.  There is definitely a higher number of conservatives as you go west, no matter which way the majority elects their representatives.

The conservatism of the area east of the Valley went without saying, although the idea that Amherst isn't liberal is laughable, going by your generalization.

In any matter, my overall point is that the signs regarding the Valley are further out than some people really consider the Valley.

This seems like a good discussion for the "parts of state isolated from the rest of their state" thread because Massachusetts west of I-91 definitely feels more like Vermont than it does the rest of the state. Vermont's hill people are also fairly conservative.

Rothman

« Reply #208 on: Today at 07:02:28 AM »

This seems like a good discussion for the "parts of state isolated from the rest of their state" thread because Massachusetts west of I-91 definitely feels more like Vermont than it does the rest of the state. Vermont's hill people are also fairly conservative.
And yet, I think culturally, western MA is still distinguished from VT.  Bennington, North Adams and Williamstown are all distinct locations, for example.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.