News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Amazon HQ2

Started by Bruce, September 07, 2017, 05:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Unless NoVA isn't able to provide, it's entirely reasonable to think that a failed Queens deal would result in more jobs at the DC headquarters. Knowing the Crystal City area quite well personally, I can think of a surprising amount of land available for Amazon to develop if they chose to increase the proposed headquarters size there.

Duke87

Quote from: jakeroot on February 13, 2019, 10:01:34 PM...the local community has not exactly been pro-Amazon either. Do their voices not count?

The point of contention isn't Amazon locating in Long Island City. It is the fact that they are receiving an absolutely enormous tax break for doing so.

Count me as a member of the local community who is not pleased with that.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jakeroot

Quote from: Duke87 on February 13, 2019, 11:07:01 PM

The point of contention isn't Amazon locating in Long Island City. It is the fact that they are receiving an absolutely enormous tax break for doing so.

Well there's that too. But consider how the land value and land use might change in the neighborhood where they'd locate.

kalvado

Quote from: jakeroot on February 14, 2019, 01:20:20 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on February 13, 2019, 11:07:01 PM

Well there's that too. But consider how the land value and land use might change in the neighborhood where they'd locate.
It is about NYC. Land values are already somewhat limited by how many digits fit on check.

abefroman329

Why are there a bunch of posts quoting a post that was deleted?

kevinb1994

Quote from: tribar on February 13, 2019, 08:56:09 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 13, 2019, 07:52:08 PM
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/tennessee-very-interested-in-amazon-hq2-after-nyc-strife

Nashville appears to be interested in adding on to their initial deal for a mini HQ2 and turn it into a regular HQ2.

Also I read that Upstate NY is also interested if the NYC HQ2 deal continues to fail.

IMO Los Angeles could also work for an HQ2 instead of NYC.

They have their main HQ on the west coast. I think they want HQ2 to be entirely on the east coast.

Yeah but LA could work if they decide to move their main HQ away from Seattle if the need ever arises.

kevinb1994

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2019, 08:09:22 AM

What was the post in question about?

abefroman329

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 14, 2019, 08:34:09 AM

A politician being an idiot.

If the poster deleted it, it'd be out of character for the poster, and if it was deleted by a mod, (a) that's overmodding and (b) that's crappy modding.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2019, 09:03:27 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 14, 2019, 08:34:09 AM

A politician being an idiot.

If the poster deleted it, it'd be out of character for the poster, and if it was deleted by a mod, (a) that's overmodding and (b) that's crappy modding.

No, I didn't delete it. Why would I delete the truth? (That AOC is clueless, that she's made statements in opposition to Amazon, and the company would naturally be more interested in going where it's welcome.)

One of the complaints I saw about Amazon is the possible gentrification in the area. I've never understood why gentrification is considered to be a bad thing, unless people are happy living in crappy neighborhoods and don't want to see them improved. It's awful if someone buys up a bunch of dilapidated houses and apartments and fixes them up into something nicer. Just horrible.

At any rate, if Amazon wants to abandon NYC, then I'd love to see them locate in Kentucky. We'll take the jobs NYC apparently doesn't want.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 14, 2019, 09:47:49 AMAt any rate, if Amazon wants to abandon NYC, then I'd love to see them locate in Kentucky. We'll take the jobs NYC apparently doesn't want.
Gonna go out on a limb here and say they don't want to employ a bunch of inbred, semi-literate hillbillies.

And it's actually two posts that aren't showing up.  I see one time-stamped last night at 9:10 and then the next one is time-stamped at 11:07.  There were two posts in between those two that are nowhere to be found.

tribar

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2019, 10:14:52 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 14, 2019, 09:47:49 AMAt any rate, if Amazon wants to abandon NYC, then I'd love to see them locate in Kentucky. We'll take the jobs NYC apparently doesn't want.
Gonna go out on a limb here and say they don't want to employ a bunch of inbred, semi-literate hillbillies.

And it's actually two posts that aren't showing up.  I see one time-stamped last night at 9:10 and then the next one is time-stamped at 11:07.  There were two posts in between those two that are nowhere to be found.

Normally I'd agree with you but they are opening a satellite location in Nashville so apparently they're fine with it.

abefroman329

Quote from: tribar on February 14, 2019, 10:33:21 AM

Normally I'd agree with you but they are opening a satellite location in Nashville so apparently they're fine with it.
"More cosmpolitan than Kentucky" is a pretty low hurdle to clear.

kalvado

OK, looks like NYC is no more. Amazon was quick to respond...

abefroman329

Quote from: kalvado on February 14, 2019, 11:56:32 AM
OK, looks like NYC is no more. Amazon was quick to respond...
They also said they're not reopening the search for another location.

kevinb1994

RIP split HQ2. It was nice knowing that there was going to be two HQ2 locations plus the mini HQ2 in Nashville, but then NYC politics got in the way of that happening. Oh well, the south wins on this deal.

jakeroot

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 14, 2019, 12:10:31 PM
RIP split HQ2. It was nice knowing that there was going to be two HQ2 locations plus the mini HQ2 in Nashville, but then NYC politics got in the way of that happening. Oh well, the south wins on this deal.

Judging by the number of protesters, there's a fair number of people in NYC who also feel they won.

hbelkins

Stereotype much?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on February 14, 2019, 01:38:58 PM
Stereotype much?

I would agree that stereotyping isn't going to get us anywhere. Though Louisville does have substantially fewer post-HS degree holders than NYC, Seattle, or (particularly) Arlington. Their pool of talent wouldn't be as wide in Louisville. There also doesn't seem to be a great transit system in Kentucky like there is in Seattle, Arlington, or NYC.

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on February 14, 2019, 09:47:49 AM
One of the complaints I saw about Amazon is the possible gentrification in the area. I've never understood why gentrification is considered to be a bad thing, unless people are happy living in crappy neighborhoods and don't want to see them improved. It's awful if someone buys up a bunch of dilapidated houses and apartments and fixes them up into something nicer. Just horrible.
Rents.  While rising property values are good for homeowners, for people who rent apartments, they drive people out who can't afford (or don't want to pay) the increased rent.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on February 14, 2019, 02:07:30 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 14, 2019, 09:47:49 AM
Rents.  While rising property values are good for homeowners, for people who rent apartments, they drive people out who can't afford (or don't want to pay) the increased rent.

Plus, where do all the original inhabitants go? To most, it's "not our problem", but I don't see it that way.

Beltway

Quote from: jakeroot on February 14, 2019, 02:03:43 PM
Stereotype much?
I would agree that stereotyping isn't going to get us anywhere. Though Louisville does have substantially fewer post-HS degree holders than NYC, Seattle, or (particularly) Arlington. Their pool of talent wouldn't be as wide in Louisville. There also doesn't seem to be a great transit system in Kentucky like there is in Seattle, Arlington, or NYC.

Why would it have to go to Louisville? 

Why not the Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

JMoses24

Quote from: Beltway on February 14, 2019, 02:41:38 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 14, 2019, 02:03:43 PM
Stereotype much?

Cincinnati itself tried to land HQ2, but the current state of public transit in the city pretty much killed that idea. I doubt northern Kentucky would have any more success.

Beltway

Quote from: JMoses24 on February 14, 2019, 02:47:39 PM
Cincinnati itself tried to land HQ2, but the current state of public transit in the city pretty much killed that idea. I doubt northern Kentucky would have any more success.

So how much public transit does Amazon want ... a full-blown heavy rail transit metro system?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on February 14, 2019, 03:02:08 PM
Quote from: JMoses24 on February 14, 2019, 02:47:39 PM

So how much public transit does Amazon want ... a full-blown heavy rail transit metro system?
LIC and Crystal City had links to heavy rail and commuter rail, so probably something similar, yeah.

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 14, 2019, 03:05:30 PM
Quote from: Beltway on February 14, 2019, 03:02:08 PM
LIC and Crystal City had links to heavy rail and commuter rail, so probably something similar, yeah.

Does the current Seattle headquarters have any rail transit service?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.