AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Honest question  (Read 5175 times)

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: Today at 12:50:36 AM
Honest question
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:29:52 PM »

Why does Chris Bessert find everything ironic?
Florida route log | pre-1945
I will do my best to not make America hate again.
Global warming denial is barely worse than white privilege denial.

kphoger

• Last Login: November 27, 2020, 04:47:34 PM
Re: Honest question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »

because it bips
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

ET21

• Last Login: Today at 10:10:10 AM
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:37:27 AM »

Because life
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where your going, without forgetting where your from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: November 29, 2020, 01:54:51 PM
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:48 AM »

because bandit bubbles.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

kphoger

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »

bandit bubbles

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 09:05:42 AM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »

I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

New Interstate plans:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=1iR-EhsnAaBtsadqOPdZqMTHr17bKjNlB&ll=45.48421495543849%2C-76.02345977441325&z=7

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: November 29, 2020, 01:36:53 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »

He took Alanis Morrisette way too seriously.
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: November 29, 2020, 03:36:30 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »

because it bips
What's it bips?

The opposite of "it pibs."

Seriously, someone ought to write a history of roadgeekery on the Internet with chapters devoted to Tim Brown, Carl Rogers, Randy Hersh, Bobby Peacock, Bob Chessick and other characters who have populated various forums and sites.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »

Seriously, someone ought to write a history of roadgeekery on the Internet with chapters devoted to [list of seemingly random names.]

As someone kind of new to this, erm… who?

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 09:25:55 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »

Don't worry about it.  HB's just showing his age...

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »

While that is certainly true, there are some of us "youngins" who would appreciate knowing a little history. ;-)

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 09:25:55 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 11:19:23 AM »

You could do a search for them on the misc.transport.road (locally called MTR) newsgroup, then.  But I'll save you the trouble:

Tim Brown = bandit957 on the AARoads forum here, has a tendency to say really off-the-wall things.
Carl Rogers = from California, coined the term "viatology" for the "scientific study of roads", would send out full press releases for posting a single photo to his website, was basically a narcissistic and pompous ass.
Randy Hersh = deceased, formerly a New Jersey cab driver, would constantly berate regions, politicians, and persons (including HB) he didn't like.
Bobby Peacock = might be on this forum, but I'm not 100% on that.  From somewhere near the Great Lakes.  His attitude rubbed several people the wrong way on MTR (much like SPUI/NE2 here on AARoads).
Bob Chessick = from Pennsylvania, in the early Internet (and MTR) days he tried to capitalize by charging people to use his roads website.  In terms of Pennsylvania info, Jeff Kitsko (of PA Highways) offered it for free and basically did Bob's website in.

(EDIT:)

Something else that might be worth mentioning in any such book would be the EPIC flamewar battles between Scott Kozel (Beltway here on the forum, former VDOT planner) and John Lansford (former NCDOT civil engineer who basically disappeared after Usenet newsgroups fell by the wayside).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:23:23 AM by froggie »

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:23:29 AM »

I appreciate the rundown. Thanks! :)

kphoger

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 01:36:03 PM »

I appreciate the rundown. Thanks! :)

totally bips

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: November 29, 2020, 03:36:30 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »

You could do a search for them on the misc.transport.road (locally called MTR) newsgroup, then.  But I'll save you the trouble:

Tim Brown = bandit957 on the AARoads forum here, has a tendency to say really off-the-wall things.
Carl Rogers = from California, coined the term "viatology" for the "scientific study of roads", would send out full press releases for posting a single photo to his website, was basically a narcissistic and pompous ass.
Randy Hersh = deceased, formerly a New Jersey cab driver, would constantly berate regions, politicians, races/ethnicities and persons (including HB) he didn't like.
Bobby Peacock = might be on this forum, but I'm not 100% on that.  From somewhere near the Great Lakes.  His attitude rubbed several people the wrong way on MTR (much like SPUI/NE2 here on AARoads).
Bob Chessick = from Pennsylvania, in the early Internet (and MTR) days he tried to capitalize by charging people to use his roads website.  In terms of Pennsylvania info, Jeff Kitsko (of PA Highways) offered it for free and basically did Bob's website in.

Something else that might be worth mentioning in any such book would be the EPIC flamewar battles between Scott Kozel (Beltway here on the forum, former VDOT planner) and John Lansford (former NCDOT civil engineer who basically disappeared after Usenet newsgroups fell by the wayside).

Good rundown, although you forgot a key observation about Randy, which I added.

And I actually thought about including Lansford in my list, but didn't.

Don't worry about it.  HB's just showing his age...

If I feel it, might as well show it.  :-D

adventurernumber1

• David Carson

• Last Login: November 23, 2020, 03:01:55 PM
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 04:35:48 PM »

Randy Hersh = deceased, formerly a New Jersey cab driver, would constantly berate regions, politicians, and persons (including HB) he didn't like.

Thank you very much, that was very informational and insightful, and now I know who all of those people are.

But I must ask, who is Chris Bessert, the person who was mentioned in the OP of this thread?

And regarding someone's reply to that OP, who is Alanis Morrisette? (see here V V V )

He took Alanis Morrisette way too seriously.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

kphoger

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 04:44:06 PM »

who is Chris Bessert

Try this.  Then click on the first result.

who is Alanis Morrisette?

mind.... blown....

kphoger

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »

(This is my favorite, because it bips.)

adventurernumber1

• David Carson

• Last Login: November 23, 2020, 03:01:55 PM
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 04:57:26 PM »

who is Chris Bessert

Try this.  Then click on the first result.

who is Alanis Morrisette?

mind.... blown....

On the first one, I actually did look it up (and quite a while ago when this thread was first created), but I didn't bother clicking on any of the links because I didn't know if that would give me enough coherent information (because I literally had no idea who the guy was, unless he has an account on here and a username I recognize), but he is presumably a road enthusiast. I guess I wanted an answer from other roadgeeks here in case there was important information I wouldn't have been able to find by clicking on any of those websites on the search results page. I do apologize if I looked a bit incompetent with that.  :ded:

On the second one, I was just way, way, way off. I didn't even look up the name that time (until after I read your post). For some reason, I thought Alanis Morrisette was a male road enthusiast who had something to do with Chris Bessert. Now I obviously know that she is a celebrity (musician, actress, etc.) - yeah...I was way off...  :ded:

Once again, I give my greatest apologies for being incompetent.   :pan:   :banghead:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »

How did Randy Hersh die?

New Interstate plans:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=1iR-EhsnAaBtsadqOPdZqMTHr17bKjNlB&ll=45.48421495543849%2C-76.02345977441325&z=7

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 11:12:40 AM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »

There was a thread about Hersh passing on here. Believe he just had a manifesto of health problems including diabetes that contributed to his death.
Drive slow on the left. Pass on the right. Live your life the way you want.

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »

There was a thread about Hersh passing on here. Believe he just had a manifesto of health problems including diabetes that contributed to his death.
Stay healthy, kids. Oh wait...

New Interstate plans:

bugo

• Last Login: Today at 07:44:00 AM
    • No Frills Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 06:51:17 PM »

Randy was actually a good guy. He was pulling everybody's legs with the "svartzie" comments. I conversed with him a few times and he was genuinely concerned with my well being at the time. He was trolling.

Roadgeekteen

• old interstate plans
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »

Randy was actually a good guy. He was pulling everybody's legs with the "svartzie" comments. I conversed with him a few times and he was genuinely concerned with my well being at the time. He was trolling.
What is a svartzie?

New Interstate plans:

jwolfer

• Last Login: November 09, 2019, 11:16:34 AM
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »

What is a svartzie?
Yiddish pejorative .. sort of like the N-word. From the German Schwartz which means black

Z981

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.