AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: U.S. 6 being signed on U.S. 101, on the Hollywood Freeway, confusion.  (Read 2821 times)

ACSCmapcollector

• Last Login: May 25, 2019, 08:53:06 PM

U.S. 6 being signed on U.S. 101, on the Hollywood Freeway, confusion.

I have a few maps from H. M. Goshua having U.S. 6 signed on the U.S. 101 on the Hollywood Freeway, is it H.M. Goshua cartography fault or is it California's own Department of Highways fault?

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
Re: U.S. 6 being signed on U.S. 101, on the Hollywood Freeway, confusion.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 04:20:55 AM »

U.S. 6 being signed on U.S. 101, on the Hollywood Freeway, confusion.

I have a few maps from H. M. Goshua having U.S. 6 signed on the U.S. 101 on the Hollywood Freeway, is it H.M. Goshua cartography fault or is it California's own Department of Highways fault?

Construction on the extension of the Hollywood Freeway from the US 101/SSR 134 North Hollywood interchange north to the Golden State (I-5) freeway in the Arleta district of the San Fernando Valley began in late 1962; under the old numbering system, US 6 was to be rerouted off I-5/US 99 south of Arleta and down the new freeway, and multiplexing SE from N. Hollywood with US 101 to the 4-Level Interchange in downtown L.A., and picking up US 66 in Hollywood for a "triplex" NW of the 4-Level.  It was planned to temporarily route US 6 down Lankershim Blvd. (LRN 159, the existing route to be replaced by the new freeway extension) to US 101 in the interim; the signage was to be placed in late 1963.  However, those plans were put on hold when it was decided in the spring of 1963 to renumber the entire system, effective 1/1/64.  Since US 6 was going to be truncated back to Bishop under the new system, replacing signage for three or four months was deemed pointless.  However, the plans to do so were transmitted to the cartography departments of Gousha and McNally; Gousha included that reroute in their 1963 editions.  I was 13-14 years of age at that time and reading CH&PW faithfully at the local library and was aware by August that renumbering was going to take place -- but the full extent of that process wasn't revealed until the January/February 1964 edition -- the one with the now-famous picture of a CA 1 green shield being erected on PCH.  Of course, the Hollywood Freeway extension is now CA 170; the first BGS's at the I-5 interchange, eventually opened in the summer of 1968, had the "170" shields on a greenout panel ostensibly over the original white US 6 shields. 

So Gousha essentially was blindsided; it looks as if they went to press with the '63 edition of their maps fully expecting US 6 signage along US 101 and Lankershim Blvd.  Don't know if Gousha ever complained to the Division of Highways; knowing that agency, the response would have been along the lines of "sorry about that" without further ado.     

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.