AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Miami bridge collapse  (Read 1351 times)

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Views expressed are my own, not my employer's.

• Last Login: Today at 12:30:14 PM
    • Alps' Roads
Miami bridge collapse
« on: March 15, 2018, 05:38:23 PM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/west-miami-dade/article205316174.html

This was supposed to be a two span cable stayed bridge. One span was erected and left in place without cable supports or the second, counterbalancing span. Now it collapsed. I'm no structural engineer, but I'm not surprised that the pier collapsed with loading completely different than it was designed for. Any other thoughts?

Duke87

• Last Login: December 07, 2018, 09:54:14 PM
Re: Miami bridge collapse
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:48:29 PM »

Reminds me of an oft-repeated line from a crotchety old engineering professor where I went to school who refused to ever give partial credit on any homework or exam questions.

"You build bridge, bridge fall down, no partial credit!"
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bing101

• Last Login: December 09, 2018, 04:37:03 PM
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 12:00:03 PM »

bing101

DJStephens

• Last Login: Today at 08:28:38 AM
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:12:35 PM »

Some reports stated a "stress" test was being conducted on the structure when it failed.  Perhaps that was post-tensioning?  One has to wonder the wisdom of conducting such as test on the structure over live traffic.   Did work on a project that involved post-tensioning, but it was a segmental design, with all segments in place between piers.   Likely some BSCE's here can more accurately comment, did take determinate and indeterminate structural design, but did not finish the degree, and found indeterminate to be a bear.   

roadman

• Last Login: Today at 01:29:45 PM
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:09:50 PM »

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 01:15:24 PM
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »

"All aspects of the collapse remain under investigation":  this sounds to me like green-eyeshade study of the plans and erection procedure has turned up no obvious design errors or a priori reasons to expect the collapse to occur.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

• Last Login: December 04, 2018, 09:16:31 AM
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »

Lets hope the same mistake is not made in Orlando.  A pedestrian overpass was just built on US 17 & 92 and SR 50 east of I-4 last weekend.  Its not open yet but motorists on Colonial Drive have to pass beneath it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:36:43 PM »

https://patch.com/florida/palmettobay-cutler/fiu-bridge-collapse-osha-fines-5-companies-safety-violations

Update 5 companies are fined for safety violations that lead to the bridge collapse.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:52 PM
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 01:23:36 AM »

https://patch.com/florida/palmettobay-cutler/fiu-bridge-collapse-osha-fines-5-companies-safety-violations

Update 5 companies are fined for safety violations that lead to the bridge collapse.

Great!  $17.33K mean fine per company; essentially a slap on the wrist.  What's that, a whopping 3 months' salary for the person who died in the collapse?  Let's just hope the courts see fit to apportion the fine to the degree of culpability for the firms involved.  I predict a considerably larger amount will cross the table once the lawsuits commence.   Of course, these firms will appeal the fine and stall any civil action as long as possible -- citing the appeal process, of course.  Betcha these firms won't part with a penny for 5 years or more! :banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.