News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Arkansas's "Marine Fuel Tax" highways

Started by TBKS1, April 08, 2018, 03:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBKS1

Alright, so Arkansas has their "marine fuel tax" highways that can be found scattered all across the state. They all have shields that look like this:

AR-915-2 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

I wanted to ask, does anyone know where a list of all of the existing ones might be at?

If there isn't a list anywhere already, I've been thinking about making a list of all the ones that I know about.

Thanks! - TBKS1
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

US71

Quote from: TBKS1 on April 08, 2018, 03:01:43 PM
Alright, so Arkansas has their "marine fuel tax" highways that can be found scattered all across the state. They all have shields that look like this:

I wanted to ask, does anyone know where a list of all of the existing ones might be at?

If there isn't a list anywhere already, I've been thinking about making a list of all the ones that I know about.

Thanks! - TBKS1

There's at least a partial list on Wikipedia
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

There is a MFT road with no number in Calion going to a Ouachita River access.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TBKS1

Quote from: US71 on April 08, 2018, 03:47:07 PM
Quote from: TBKS1 on April 08, 2018, 03:01:43 PM

Thanks! - TBKS1

There's at least a partial list on Wikipedia

Hmmm... that must have been updated some time ago since the last time I checked that list.

Quote from: cjk374 on April 08, 2018, 04:19:33 PM
There is a MFT road with no number in Calion going to a Ouachita River access.

I think I know what you're talking about... is it this? (From the AARoads main website)

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

cjk374

^^ Yes that is the sign I am referring to.

US71

I'm thinking I've seen another non-numbered sign along US 270, but I don't remember for sure

bugo

Here's a partial list of secret Arkansas highways:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=12280.0

I'm currently doing some research and I'm going to add to this list. Stay tuned.

AR 600 - State Park roads all over the state (Every state park road that is maintained by AHTD is numbered 600)
AR 803 - Clarksville state police headquarters (decommissioned)
AR 805 - Warren state police headquarters
AR 806 - Forrest City state police headquarters
AR 809 - Arkansas State Capitol grounds in Little Rock
AR 810 - Arkansas Services Center at Jonesboro (decommissioned?)
AR 811 - Lon Mann Cotton Research Station
AR 813 - University of Arkansas Experiment Station in Independence County
AR 814 - University of Arkansas Experiment Station in Hempstead County
AR 815 - University of Arkansas Experiment Station Rice Branch
AR 817 - Experiment Station in Mississippi County
AR 818 - University of Arkansas Agriculture Experimental Station (there are rumors that this is partially signed)
AR 819 - Joe Hogan Fish Hatchery road near Lonoke.  It is also known as Game and Fish Access Route 943.
AR 820 - University of Arkansas Agriculture Experiment Station in Newport
AR 821 - Phillips County Community College in Helena
AR 823 - Southeast Branch of the University of Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station
AR 824 - Pine Tree Branch of the University of Arkansas Agricultural Experiment Station
AR 825 - Governor's Mansion
AR 830 - AHTD headquarters across the state
AR 831 - Cummins Prison
AR 832 - Tucker Prison
AR 833 - Woman's Unit Prison
AR 834 - Dermott Unit Prison
AR 835 - Arkansas Training School for Girls at Alexander (probably decommissioned)
AR 839 - Arkansas State Fairgrounds
AR 840 - Southeast Arkansas Human Development Center in Warren
AR 841 - State Hospital drives
AR 846 - Game and Fish complex
AR 871 - University of Arkansas at Monticello
AR 872 - Arkansas Tech University
AR 873 - University of Arkansas and UALR
AR 874 - Henderson State University
AR 875 - Southern Arkansas University
AR 876 - University of Central Arkansas
AR 877 - Arkansas State University
AR 878 - UAPB
AR 879 - School for the Deaf and Blind
AR 881 - Huntsville state police headquarters
AR 883 - Arkansas State University at Beebe
AR 885 - School for the Blind and Deaf
AR 887 - Garland County Community College
AR 888 - Morrilton's community college
AR 889 - Arkansas State University at Searcy
AR 890 - Assigned to a large number of vo tech drives.  Many of these old vo tech schools became community colleges and the state still maintains the roads under the AR 890 designation
AR 917 - Marine Tax Road (This one is signed at least part of the time)
AR 926 - Marine Tax Road (This one is usually signed)
AR 949, 949-2, 949-3. and 949-4 - These four spurs of US 270 connect the highway to the south shore of the crystal clear Lake Ouachita are Marine Tax Roads and are fully signed.  As far as I know, these are the only three 4 digit highways in Arkansas
AR 959 - Lake Des Arc
AR 980 - This one is the one everybody knows about, and they are usually fully signed.  There are literally dozens of instances of Airport 980 all over the state.                     

US71

Quote from: bugo on April 08, 2018, 10:00:09 PM

AR 818 - University of Arkansas Agriculture Experimental Station (there are rumors that this is partially signed)

I can confirm 818 is signed

AR 917 - Marine Tax Road (This one is signed at least part of the time)
AR 926 - Marine Tax Road (This one is usually signed)

There is also 922 off US 165 south of Dermott

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on April 08, 2018, 10:39:14 PM

Arkansas' first 5-digit state highway. Nice!

bugo

I can't remember where it was, but I took this picture of this sign 15 or 20 years ago. There is no number in the sign. It may be AR 949, Section 1 east of Mount Ida, but I can't remember for sure.

bugo

Quote from: TBKS1 on April 08, 2018, 04:53:32 PM
I think I know what you're talking about... is it this? (From the AARoads main website)

I took that picture sometime around 1999-2000 IIRC. I'm 99% sure this was AR 949, Section 1 which is labeled as Twin Creek Road on Google Maps.

bugo

There is a reference to "Game and Fish Commission Road 949, Section 4" in the minute order for July 31, 1974 located at https://www.arkansashighways.com/minute_orders/Mo70-79.pdf

I have searched every resource that I have been able to find and I haven't found a reference for AR 949, Section 1. I assume that it is the road that Google Maps has labeled as "Twin Creek Rd". This road is signed with the shield I posted above (or at least it was the last time I was through there, which has been several years ago.

AR Marine Fuel Tax Highway 949, Sections 2, 3 and 4 are signed, and at one time AR Marine Fuel Tax Highway 926 (marked as Brady Mountain Rd and AR 926 by Google) was signed, although the signs were very faded the last time I was there, which was probably 15 years ago.

There are other signed Marine Fuel Tax highways in Arkansas but I believe these are the only five I have ever seen.

TBKS1

Update: Apparently this is what AR 949-4 looks like now.

I took this yesterday.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: TBKS1 on May 11, 2018, 04:57:38 PM

I took this yesterday.

What's with the non-MUTCD compliant font and arrows?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

hotdogPi

MUTCD noncompliance is common in parks.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TBKS1

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 11, 2018, 05:57:04 PM

I took this yesterday.

This was taken in Ouachita National Forest just south of Lake Ouachita, so I'm pretty sure this is forest/park signage.

Either way though, I'm still curious as to why it's not numbered anymore...

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2018, 07:03:44 PM
MUTCD noncompliance is common in parks.
Ah, I was under the assumption that these Arkansas Fuel Tax highways were signed by the state, not the parks.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

bugo

The route markers and arrow are AHTD standard.

I would guess they didn't put "949-4" on this sign because they wanted to standardize the design so they wouldn't have to produce different signs for each section.

Were 949-1, 949-2 and 949-3 signed? If so, were the signs new looking? What about 926?

TBKS1

949-3 is not signed in advance, but it is on the actual highway. 949-2 is signed. And I don't know about 949-1.

The blank ones look new, but the signed ones look older.

AR-949-2 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

926 is signed as well.

AR-926 @ US-270 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

AR-926 by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr

bugo

Thanks for the pictures. I'm actually surprised that 926 is still signed. Last time I was there, the signs were faded and it looked like it was going to be de-signed.

hbelkins

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 11, 2018, 05:57:04 PM

I took this yesterday.

Looks like typical Corps of Engineers signage that you'll see around most Corps lakes in Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TBKS1

Quote from: US71 on April 08, 2018, 10:39:14 PM

Just checked GSV on that and apparently it's signed as 722-1A...

I hope this is an error. lol

MNHighwayMan

It'd be kind of a shame if they stop putting the route numbers on the markers, IMO.

cjk374

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 14, 2018, 08:20:08 AM
It'd be kind of a shame if they stop putting the route numbers on the markers, IMO.

I have never seen them with route numbers until this thread. The numbers look weird to me.

TBKS1

Quote from: bugo on May 12, 2018, 12:28:17 AM
Thanks for the pictures. I'm actually surprised that 926 is still signed. Last time I was there, the signs were faded and it looked like it was going to be de-signed.

926 might be the last one in Arkansas that does not have a number suffix. I could be wrong though.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 14, 2018, 08:20:08 AM

I agree. I would say that the numbers make it easier to find where the right park/destination is IMO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.