AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Interstate Kyle films I-5 San Joaquin Valley section  (Read 4751 times)

bing101

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:54:25 PM
Interstate Kyle films I-5 San Joaquin Valley section
« on: April 08, 2018, 04:44:49 PM »

It's interesting to see this time lapsed video of I-5 and the film is 33 minutes. Goes from Grapevine to San Joaquin County.

nexus73

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:05:54 AM
Re: Interstate Kyle films I-5 San Joaquin Valley section
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:32:34 PM »

What a wonderful video to watch thanks to your excellent sidenotes!  My first time on this section of I-5 was 1974.  Back then it began in Stockton since the last section north of the SR 4 freeway was not opened until the 1980's.  Driving a 1967 Imperial with a 440 at night, I went 85 MPH getting 18 MPG figuring that any CHP unit going 70 MPH in the other direction would never be able to catch up while I could spot the tail lights of their Dodge Polaras with ease should I be coming up on one of them.  Zoom zoom indeed!

If we had autobahns, I-5 West Valley would be a prime candidate for making 8-lane so there would be two for the trucks, big RV's and people pulling trailers and the other two for those who want to get where they are going with alacrity.  It would be cheaper than the high speed rail project and when you were at your destination, you would have your rig with you!

Thank you for a most enjoyable "ride".

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:58 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »

Not the most engaging stretch of Interstate out there, but a much tamer drive than the traffic laden CA 99.  Given that I know his destination was Mount Diablo it made sense to stick to I-5.  Usually you have to go at least 10 over the 70 MPH not to get run over by passenger vehicle traffic.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:45 AM
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:22:25 PM »

That stretch of I-5 would actually be a good candidate for a Texas-style 80mph speed limit.

bing101

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 10:18:55 PM »

What a wonderful video to watch thanks to your excellent sidenotes!  My first time on this section of I-5 was 1974.  Back then it began in Stockton since the last section north of the SR 4 freeway was not opened until the 1980's.  Driving a 1967 Imperial with a 440 at night, I went 85 MPH getting 18 MPG figuring that any CHP unit going 70 MPH in the other direction would never be able to catch up while I could spot the tail lights of their Dodge Polaras with ease should I be coming up on one of them.  Zoom zoom indeed!

If we had autobahns, I-5 West Valley would be a prime candidate for making 8-lane so there would be two for the trucks, big RV's and people pulling trailers and the other two for those who want to get where they are going with alacrity.  It would be cheaper than the high speed rail project and when you were at your destination, you would have your rig with you!

Thank you for a most enjoyable "ride".

Rick

I don't own the video Kyle Motch of Interstate Kyle actually made the video .

nexus73

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:05:54 AM
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:39:03 AM »

That stretch of I-5 would actually be a good candidate for a Texas-style 80mph speed limit.

Bingo.  Everyone drives that route at 80 MPH except for the left lane hogs...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:45 AM
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »

They just need to pass a law similar to what we have in Oklahoma. Here in OK you can get a ticket for driving under the speed limit in the left lane on 4 lane highways and freeways/turnpikes.

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 03:46:42 AM »

Outstanding video.  My first trip over any section of this route was back in winter 1969 when I was coming back to Riverside after taking pictures of the "People's Park" marches/riots in Berkeley going on at the time (trying to be a budding photojournalist).  Got on at Altamont and got off at Santa Nella (they had blocked off the last few miles to 152 for pavement work) at about 9 p.m; Santa Nella was basically just a Shell station at that time.  Took old 33 down the Ingomar Grade right into Los Banos alongside the SP West Valley branch line; saw the original CA 207 (old LRN 121), now that part of CA 33 between 152 and Santa Nella (the Ingomar Grade portion was deleted by 1975).  That was a long night with an alternator that wasn't functioning particularly well; had to nurse it back to my house in Grand Terrace -- got in about 5 a.m. after battery-charging stops in Tulare, Mojave, and Victorville.  Quasi-fun times during a tumultuous era!  Didn't get on that segment of I-5 again for another 2 years or so; my then-GF (and later wife #1) always preferred 99 or 101 because they featured more places to stop and explore (really can't fault her for that!). 

bing101

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 10:58:05 AM »

An Update Interstate Kyle did the Tracy to Stockton section of I-5 in real time to finish up the San Joaquin Valley section of I-5.

skluth

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 01:43:26 PM »

I just skimmed through the video. I haven't been on this road since the 70's when I rode with my uncle from Garden Grove to the East Bay. It was pretty busy back then. I'm rather surprised it's not six lanes. I'm not a big advocate on adding lanes, but this looks to be a highway that could really use it (much like I-70 in my current home state of Missouri). I plan to move to the Palm Springs area later this year and I hope they make I-5 six lanes soon.

PS Also thrilled they are building the Kramer Jct bypass as it will definitely improve the trips I plan to take to the northern part of the state.

djsekani

• Last Login: January 23, 2023, 01:05:11 PM
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 11:24:34 PM »

They just need to pass a law similar to what we have in Oklahoma. Here in OK you can get a ticket for driving under the speed limit in the left lane on 4 lane highways and freeways/turnpikes.

That actually is the law in California as well, though most drivers seem to think it means you can be ticketed for "impeding" someone who wants to cruise at 75-80 in the left lane.

As for this stretch of road, I actually prefer taking CA-99 instead just because it won't put me to sleep.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:58 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 11:44:00 PM »

That actually is the law in California as well, though most drivers seem to think it means you can be ticketed for "impeding" someone who wants to cruise at 75-80 in the left lane.

As for this stretch of road, I actually prefer taking CA-99 instead just because it won't put me to sleep.

The only issue with 99 is that unless you want to sit behind truck traffic you really need to be on your game passing people.  I actually had a 70 Mile run this last trip from Bakersfield where I didn’t leave the left lane because I was passing people constantly. 

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 03:15:48 AM »

The only issue with 99 is that unless you want to sit behind truck traffic you really need to be on your game passing people.  I actually had a 70 Mile run this last trip from Bakersfield where I didn’t leave the left lane because I was passing people constantly. 

The main issue I have with 99 -- particularly the Delano-Goshen stretch -- is the substandard (short) entrance ramps; Tulare is "ground zero" for these.  Plenty of large trucks, as this is "ag goods central"; normal practice for non-"road boulder" types is to stay over in the left lane for as long as feasible.  In addition, in the Stockton-area follow-up video, Kyle suggests that I-5 would be best served by an expansion to (at least) 6 lanes total.  Unfortunately, this is something much easier said than done; the terrain of the Delta region through which I-5 travels has the consistency of a sponge -- one of the things that delayed the completion of this segment for nearly 10 years.  Lane additions -- especially from CA 12 to the Consumnes River floodplain at the south end of Elk Grove -- require dry earth and other underpinning material be brought in to handle the combined weight of pavement + traffic.  Caltrans uses that segment of I-5 as a training ground for their fledgling bridge engineers (including my cousin, who's worked in D3 for about 20 years now) as a "worst case scenario", since the Mokelumne River section of the Delta tended to swallow up berm materials in the late '70's when construction was under way; they just had to bring in more and more riprap, coarse gravel, and other materials to occupy space but, at the same time, not sink under its own weight.  Finally a combination of a brute-force approach and partial relocation of some of the bayous that accommodated the river's flow made it possible to drop a series of short bridges in place connected by berms as short as possible, leading to the final 1981 bridging of the I-5 gap.   

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 11:52:17 PM »

Regularly signing "Keep Right except to Pass" would bring the message home.  Its done in NJ and works reasonably well (at least in the southern part of the state.)

"Slower Traffic Keep Right" is just not as clear of a message and should no longer be used.

roadfro

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:21:57 PM
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 10:05:25 AM »

Regularly signing "Keep Right except to Pass" would bring the message home.  Its done in NJ and works reasonably well (at least in the southern part of the state.)

"Slower Traffic Keep Right" is just not as clear of a message and should no longer be used.

The two have different legal meanings though:

Keep right except to pass = "Do not use the left lane except to pass another vehicle"
Slower traffic keep right = "Slower drivers must move out of left lane when faster vehicle is about to overtake you"
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mrsman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 01:51:57 PM »

The two have different legal meanings though:

Keep right except to pass = "Do not use the left lane except to pass another vehicle"
Slower traffic keep right = "Slower drivers must move out of left lane when faster vehicle is about to overtake you"

Exactly.  The former should be the rule, and if it is not the law should be changed.

During times of low-vehicle volume, keep the left lane totally vacant.  Use it as a passing lane only.  And once you pass the car ahead of you, get back in the right lane even if you are driving very fast because there may be someone approaching who is going even faster than you.  Obviously, when it is busy, both lanes should be used to even out traffic flow.

A few years ago someone posted a video that really illustrated how much more efficient (and safer) it is to have a strict KREPT standard.  The impatient speeders can be on their way, instead of shifting in and out between lanes.  And there are plenty of people who believe that as long as they are at speed limit they can stay in the left lane as long as they want.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.