News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

European Roads does a video on N18 in Netherlands

Started by bing101, May 02, 2018, 07:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

This route is a two lane freeway for the most of the video though but its an interesting ride though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULIW2OcSKqU

Kniwt

Interesting stuff. A few items seem to stand out:

- Most of the structures on the two-lane section don't seem to be designed for easy expansion to four lanes. Seems like a bizarre choice, unless that had to be one of the restrictions to allow the road to be built.

- That's a long way with no passing lanes. Are the tiny pullouts supposed to be used by slow(er) vehicles, or just breakdown areas? That semi seemed to be building up a line of cars behind it but never pulled over.

- After the road went to four lanes, the other drivers seemed to immediately get much more aggressive!

ETA: Oh, and one more thing:

- In America, even our brand-new highways are never that silky-smooth and immaculate!

Chris

I recorded that video :-)

The road was built to alleviate safety problems on the old two-lane road. Traffic flow was never a key consideration, hence the long single lane section where a passing lane would be nice (or four lanes all the way). This is in Eastern Netherlands, which has a low priority for investments by the national government. But they couldn't ignore the safety issues of the old road any longer.

The pullouts are breakdown niches. The shoulder is also semi-hardened, so that if a vehicle gets off the road, it doesn't get stuck and crash out of control in the soft soil.

It's interesting how quick they built this road. The entire road is a new alignment, but it was built in only 14 months, from early 2017 to May 2, 2018. Even in the last month a massive amount of work was done.

Dutch roads are funded through the Infrastructure Fund. This means that when a project is funded, all money is available to complete it as fast as possible, all in a single contract. This means they don't have to wait for tranches of funding being allocated to the project, or separate contracts for each type of work. If the project costs € 200 million, they have € 200 million available from day 1, and not € 50 million per year to complete it in 4 years.

CNGL-Leudimin

Fixed subject title :sombrero:.
Quote from: Kniwt on May 05, 2018, 12:32:34 AM
ETA: Oh, and one more thing:

- In America, even our brand-new highways are never that silky-smooth and immaculate!

Since the terrorist group Euskadi Ta Askatasuna (Bansque Country and Liberty) is finally officially gone, I'm no longer frowning upon seeing the initials ETA meaning something else. This is the first time this happens (here meaning "Edited To Add").
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

nexus73

We could use 2-lane divided freeways/expressways here in the USA as the amount of distracted drivers crossing the center line and getting in major wrecks is such a problem. 

That was the most beautiful 2-lane freeway I have ever seen but given that the land is flat and needed easements are relatively narrow, why not build as a 4-lane facility?  It is not challenging terrain and conditions that need to be faced.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.