AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IHOB  (Read 3540 times)

PHLBOS

• Last Login: July 20, 2018, 05:16:07 PM
Re: IHOB
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2018, 03:38:08 PM »

ihop is officially back, just in time for their 60th Anniversary and offering a deal on pancakes.

The way they keep changing their name, I wonder if they should be IHOW International House of Waffles ;)
Apparently the whole name change thing was just a promotional stunt.  Source.

I'm shocked this is still news.  They said from the get-go they weren't changing their name.  The gotta-pounce-on-it-media and gullible public ate it up though...
Not to mention the creation of a now-6-page thread on this site.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Henry

• Last Login: July 20, 2018, 10:45:21 AM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2018, 10:09:43 AM »

See, I knew this was too good to be true.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

• Last Login: July 20, 2018, 05:16:07 PM
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2018, 10:35:57 AM »

Too good?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cjk374

• The road less travelled is well worn under my feet

• Last Login: Today at 08:34:19 AM
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »

ihop is officially back, just in time for their 60th Anniversary and offering a deal on pancakes.

The way they keep changing their name, I wonder if they should be IHOW International House of Waffles ;)

I'm shocked this is still news.  They said from the get-go they weren't changing their name.  The gotta-pounce-on-it-media and gullible public ate it up though...

If a certain "thread which shalt not be named..." can make 72 pages....... :bigass:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 04:58:31 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2018, 02:44:26 PM »

If a certain "thread which shalt not be named..." can make 72 pages....... :bigass:

Where did the other 8 go?
Clinched, plus MA 108

Traveled, plus:
US ⒉⒔50
MA ⒐22.40.99.10⒎10⒏1⒒1⒚127.141.159.286
NH 27,111A
NY 366
GA 42,140
FL A1A
CT 32

Flickr

MNHighwayMan

• RIP MN-110 1965–2018

• Last Login: Today at 12:31:16 AM
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2018, 02:43:23 AM »

Where did the other 8 go?

Yeah, I have it at 40 pages. Of course, I use the 50 posts per page setting.

kkt

• Last Login: July 20, 2018, 10:12:19 PM
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2018, 12:18:18 PM »

I'm shocked, Shocked! to learn that companies use fake name changes as promotional stunts.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Last Login: Today at 04:52:52 PM
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2018, 02:09:28 PM »

I'm shocked, Shocked! to learn that companies use fake name changes as promotional stunts.

Which does me make me wonder. I mentioned a few posts up that this was a classic stunt, but I can't actually think of another example of a name change for a promo (at this moment). I'm sure it has happened; it sounds like a great way to get people talking.

briantroutman

• Last Login: Today at 02:57:31 PM
    • briantroutman.com/land
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2018, 02:30:50 PM »

I don’t have time to look up the specifics, but offhand, I recall KFC “changing” its name to “Kitchen Fresh Chicken” and “Kentucky Grilled Chicken” as part of promotional stunts. I believe Pizza Hut also “changed” its name to “Pasta Hut” and “The Hut” as part of promotional efforts as well. (Coincidentally, both are owned by the same parent, Yum Brands.)

Radio Shack was for some time trying to make itself over as “The Shack”, and I seem to recall a few Circuit City stores that were signed as “The City”.

Then recently there was the news of Dunkin Donuts changing its name to just “Dunkin”, but I don’t know what ever became of that.

The common thread seems to be that a brand is defined (perhaps misdefined) by a specific product mentioned in its name, and the promotional name change stunt is an effort to draw attention to the fact that the company offers more than that one marquee item.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »

Ugh. I hate when companies try to give themselves nicknames. Nicknames are not a given; they're earned.

"B-dubs" for Buffalo Wild Wings, for example. They've picked up on the nickname, but far after I started hearing it in passing.

"BK" for Burger King, while not any sort of affectionate name, has been picked up by the company.

roadman

• Last Login: Today at 04:45:23 PM
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2018, 03:15:38 PM »

Then recently there was the news of Dunkin Donuts changing its name to just “Dunkin”, but I don’t know what ever became of that.

That change is indeed actively being phased in.  Several new and reconstructed stores in the Boston area have already dropped 'Donuts' from the name.  In a recent news feature, the new CEO of the company indicated that implementing the name change chain-wide is one of his top priorities.  From a roadgeek perspective, it will be interesting to see how quickly BBS logos are changed to reflect the new name.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 04:35:51 PM
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »

Ugh. I hate when companies try to give themselves nicknames. Nicknames are not a given; they're earned.

"B-dubs" for Buffalo Wild Wings, for example. They've picked up on the nickname, but far after I started hearing it in passing.

"BK" for Burger King, while not any sort of affectionate name, has been picked up by the company.

Mickey D's has been used in some of McDonald's commercials that target the audience most likely to use that term.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2018, 04:18:33 PM »

Mickey D's has been used in some of McDonald's commercials that target the audience most likely to use that term.

Oh, lol. My comment actually included a reference to Mickey D's (or McD's as I more often hear out here), but I deleted that part because I didn't think McDonalds used the term in any marketing.

briantroutman

• Last Login: Today at 02:57:31 PM
    • briantroutman.com/land
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2018, 04:45:31 PM »

From a roadgeek perspective, it will be interesting to see how quickly BBS logos are changed to reflect the new name.

Several longstanding Dunkin Donuts stores that I know personally still have the ’80s-’90s logo on posted on blue services signage. This is despite the fact that stores themselves have been extensively remodeled and have either version of the post-2000 logo (with coffee cup) on the building itself. So assuming that the franchisees didn’t feel compelled to update the services signage since the pre-cup and post-cup logos are more or less “compatible” (same colors, same typeface), I expect many of them will keep old “Dunkin Donuts” services signs even after they’ve been remodeled yet again and “Donuts” in not included on the on-store signage. (That is unless the new CEO decides to be particularly thorough about his re-signing plans.)

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 03:56:54 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »

Too good?
Good and IHOP= oxymoron

SM-G930V

In search of the road less taken...
and the perfect pizza.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/us_71/

abefroman329

• Old fat fucks ruin everything.

• Last Login: Today at 11:42:53 AM
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »

It used to be BW3, back when they sold Wild Wings and Weck.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2018, 10:28:11 PM »

It used to be BW3, back when they sold Wild Wings and Weck.

I heard from a Midwest friend of mine that it used to sell something else, but I couldn't remember what it was. They've only been in the Seattle market since 2011-ish, so that was never a thing here. Only two W's!

roadman

• Last Login: Today at 04:45:23 PM
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »

From a roadgeek perspective, it will be interesting to see how quickly BBS logos are changed to reflect the new name.

Several longstanding Dunkin Donuts stores that I know personally still have the ’80s-’90s logo on posted on blue services signage. This is despite the fact that stores themselves have been extensively remodeled and have either version of the post-2000 logo (with coffee cup) on the building itself. So assuming that the franchisees didn’t feel compelled to update the services signage since the pre-cup and post-cup logos are more or less “compatible” (same colors, same typeface), I expect many of them will keep old “Dunkin Donuts” services signs even after they’ve been remodeled yet again and “Donuts” in not included on the on-store signage. (That is unless the new CEO decides to be particularly thorough about his re-signing plans.)
Good point.  And, as I've noted elsewhere, it's interesting that on the older 1980s-1990s LOGOS, the word Dunkin is mostly faded out, but Donuts is still very legible.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

• (Censored by spoilsports. They ruin everything.)

• Last Login: Today at 12:03:54 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2018, 12:09:56 PM »

Oh, lol. My comment actually included a reference to Mickey D's (or McD's as I more often hear out here), but I deleted that part because I didn't think McDonalds used the term in any marketing.

"Mickey D's Sweet Tea."

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »

"Mickey D's Sweet Tea."

Hmm. I'm not sure they advertised the sweet tea up here. I can't recall seeing any. But I see some ads on Youtube for the sweet tea dropping the "Mickey D's" line. Interesting.

formulanone

• [pavement intensifies]

• Last Login: Today at 02:07:05 PM
    • My site, in the middle of the street.
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2018, 07:40:29 AM »

"Mickey D's Sweet Tea."

I recall a few TV ads from the 1990s which mentioned "Mickey D's"...something along the lines of a inner-city teenager (Calvin?) proud to get his first job. They probably use it sparingly, because then it no longer makes any sort of impact.

For some parts of the U.S., it is the only commercially-available source of sweet tea.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:44:50 AM by formulanone »

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2018, 02:38:08 PM »

For some parts of the U.S., it is the only commercially-available source of sweet tea.

I don't recall ever seeing sweet tea, even at McDonalds (though apparently they do have it). It wasn't until I visited the south a few years ago that I saw how popular it was.

I think you can get sweet tea at barbecue joints, but I don't frequent them too often (not great choice in Seattle metro) so I couldn't be sure.

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: Today at 01:54:50 PM
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2018, 04:57:22 AM »

Mac's
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Website not available at this time...
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ssoworld-roads/

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

webny99

• Left lane is for passing, not camping!

• Last Login: Today at 04:01:49 PM
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2018, 03:57:58 PM »

Australians call it "Mackers".

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »

Australians call it "Mackers".

"Maccas". We think there's an "r" in there because of rhetocity, but there's not actually an "r".

https://mcdonalds.com.au/about-maccas/maccas-story

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.