AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Most Interesting Stretches of Highway  (Read 4080 times)

deathtopumpkins

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 05:46:06 PM
Re: The Most Interesting Stretches of Highway
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2020, 09:29:49 AM »

On the whole, Indiana's highways are not terribly interesting.

They're still pretty boring, but I have developed a little affection for some of the rural roads in NE Indiana, e.g. US 6 & 20. I've always found them to be pleasant drives, with a mix of farmland and town centers, everything from rural 2-lane to urban 4-lane freeway cross sections as you go west, and a surprisingly high volume of horses & buggies.

Maybe they're only interesting in comparison to the mind-numbing dullness of the Toll Road though...

X99

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 06:13:47 PM
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2020, 11:02:25 AM »

SD 44 west of Rapid City, despite being surrounded by houses most of the way, is still a nice scenic route. Then there's US 16A- despite never driving it, I still find it interesting, especially the one-lane tunnels and the tunnel that frames Mount Rushmore. As for routes I've actually driven other than 44, Moon Meadows Drive and Norris Peak Road are pretty high on my list.
The cities I build in Minecraft are better laid out than the one I currently live in.

TheGrassGuy

• Last Login: February 11, 2020, 05:03:06 PM
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2020, 03:46:03 PM »

Metro Manila Skyway, Philippines. Specifically the section south of Buendia Avenue. 3 sets of lanes per direction: a set of express controlled-access lanes (which don't show up on Google Maps but do on GSV due to it being kind of outdated), a set of local controlled-access lanes, and a set of at-grade service roads. Expressways that divide into two sets of carriageways are very common (I-95 section of NJTP, I-78 from NJ-24 to the NJTP, GSP in Monmouth County), but examples of them being accompanied by service roads are very rare, being mostly confined to Texas (I-90/94 south of I-55 in Chicago is the only other example that comes to mind). And even in Texas, it usually only goes up to 2 and a half per direction, as over there (at least in Dallas and Houston) they tend to cram the express (really HOV or HOT) lanes into one striped or reversible lane.

kphoger

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 05:07:35 PM
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2020, 04:33:03 PM »

And even in Texas, it usually only goes up to 2 and a half per direction, as over there (at least in Dallas and Houston) they tend to cram the express (really HOV or HOT) lanes into one striped or reversible lane.

Austin, TX, jumped immediately to mind.  I-35 just north of downtown has elevated express lanes, sunken local lanes, and at-grade frontage lanes.  I-35 in San Antonio, too, has a similar setup on the north side of downtown.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

TheGrassGuy

• Last Login: February 11, 2020, 05:03:06 PM
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »

And even in Texas, it usually only goes up to 2 and a half per direction, as over there (at least in Dallas and Houston) they tend to cram the express (really HOV or HOT) lanes into one striped or reversible lane.

Austin, TX, jumped immediately to mind.  I-35 just north of downtown has elevated express lanes, sunken local lanes, and at-grade frontage lanes.  I-35 in San Antonio, too, has a similar setup on the north side of downtown.
Up in NYC, there's a similar arrangement for how the upper and lower levels of the GW Bridge (I-95, US-1, US-9) are arranged, only without the service roads.

silveradoman298

• Country Roads, Take Me Home

• Last Login: February 15, 2020, 03:50:36 PM
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2020, 07:10:36 PM »

I've always enjoyed US 23 from Ashland, KY down thru Duffield, VA and beyond. US 119 in eastern Kentucky has always been a favorite. US 64 & US 74 West of Ashville, NC has very pretty scenery too along with some roadside waterfalls. US60 from Charleston, WV to White Sulphur Springs, WV is a good one too. As well as US 219 and US 33 in West Virginia.

One that I still want to do is US460 in its entirety.
"Call me a prisoner of the highway
Driven on by my restless soul
I'm a prisoner of the highway
Imprisoned by the freedom of the road"

fillup420

• Last Login: February 16, 2020, 09:36:56 PM
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2020, 10:37:20 AM »

US 74 from Chattanooga to Asheville is a great drive. lots of scenery, neat towns, and a plethora of other route concurrencies. US 19, 129, 64, 23, 441, and NC 28.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 11:03:06 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2020, 11:02:19 AM »

US 74 from Chattanooga to Asheville is a great drive. lots of scenery, neat towns, and a plethora of other route concurrencies. US 19, 129, 64, 23, 441, and NC 28.

NC-28 west of US 19 to US 129 is an awesome mountain road.  I kind of prefer to the Dragon part of US 129 since it doesn’t have that whole Biker Boyz crowd on it usually. 

thspfc

• Last Login: February 14, 2020, 05:02:59 PM
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2020, 04:54:08 PM »

Colorado's I-70 tops my list.

In my own area, I-90/94 from WI-60 at Lodi to WI-33 at Cascade Mountain is a surprisingly beautiful drive. Especially around sunset on clear days, when the sun dropping below the rolling hills casts a dramatic shadow on the highway.

TravelingBethelite

• My way IS the highway.

• Last Login: Today at 01:26:08 AM
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2020, 12:17:29 AM »

On the whole, Indiana's highways are not terribly interesting.

They're still pretty boring, but I have developed a little affection for some of the rural roads in NE Indiana, e.g. US 6 & 20. I've always found them to be pleasant drives, with a mix of farmland and town centers, everything from rural 2-lane to urban 4-lane freeway cross sections as you go west, and a surprisingly high volume of horses & buggies.

Maybe they're only interesting in comparison to the mind-numbing dullness of the Toll Road though...

US 30 from Mansfield, OH to Valparaiso is a nice drive in the same vein.
"Life is a highway, and I want to drive it all night long!" -Tom Cochrane
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 08:54:49 PM
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2020, 04:36:43 PM »

I always used to enjoy US Route 20, heading west out of Pittsfield, MA and into Columbia County, NY...on the way to Albany.

interstate73

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 04:58:49 PM
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »

Personally I love NJ-3 heading inbound towards Manhattan. Always lots of activity, all the businesses along the side of the road (including Tick Tock Diner!) and then you breach the hill right before the Passaic Road exit and you have the entire Manhattan skyline laid out in front of you, and it's especially beautiful at night. Then you still get to see Metlife/American Dream, the Meadowlands, and of course the Helix and associated Manhattan views. Not as nature-oriented but I'm a huge city-nerd so it really hits the right spot for me!
North Jersey born and raised, in Upstate NY for college studying city planning

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 12:54:03 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2020, 10:29:33 PM »

I-90 from Seattle to Cle Elum has it all.

The floating bridges and tunnels on both sides are engineering feats. Great views of the dual skylines of Seattle and Bellevue. Some complex interchanges with I-5, Bellevue Way, and I-405. Plenty of activity thanks to light rail construction happening on this section.

And then, beyond North Bend, it's pure natural beauty with a sprinkling of mountain engineering.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: February 16, 2020, 11:27:52 PM
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2020, 10:37:24 PM »

I have to kinda agree. For me, scenic doesn't always mean interesting. For example, one could argue that I-81 through Virginia is scenic along parts of it, but if I had to choose between the scenic parts of I-81 and I-65 through Birmingham, I'd take I-65 through Birmingham over those scenic parts of I-81 any day of the week.
I've never been on I-65 anywhere, let alone in Birmingham. But the one thing I noticed and like about I-81 in Virginia is the opportunity to drive above the clouds.

deathtopumpkins

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 05:46:06 PM
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2020, 05:46:06 PM »

US 30 from Mansfield, OH to Valparaiso is a nice drive in the same vein.

Yeah but it really badly needs bypasses of the 3 towns between Valpo and Fort Wayne. And the Ohio portion moves nicely (70 mph on a non-freeway!) but can be a bit of a snoozefest.

Flint1979

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 08:03:15 PM
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2020, 07:16:22 PM »

I-90 from Seattle to Cle Elum has it all.

The floating bridges and tunnels on both sides are engineering feats. Great views of the dual skylines of Seattle and Bellevue. Some complex interchanges with I-5, Bellevue Way, and I-405. Plenty of activity thanks to light rail construction happening on this section.

And then, beyond North Bend, it's pure natural beauty with a sprinkling of mountain engineering.
I have driven to Seattle and back one time. I would love to do it again since it would give me the chance of driving in Washington again. I loved that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.