AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: KDOT announces K-10 South Lawrence Trafficway study  (Read 1725 times)

stridentweasel

• Last Login: September 15, 2019, 03:08:07 PM
Re: KDOT announces K-10 South Lawrence Trafficway study
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »

Good. Now they have to decide whether to make it a four-lane road, a six-lane road, and/or make it a toll road.

I think they probably will have to at least make the people getting off of I-70 pay a toll so that everyone just doesn't get on K-10 to avoid paying tolls on that last stretch of 70. Although K-10 is such a cluster from near the K-7 interchange to its eastern terminus that I'd probably still take 70 to not have to deal with the traffic.

But if you take I-70 through Kansas City, you have to deal with the cluster that is the Downtown Loop.  K-10 is the western leg of Kansas City's de facto east-west bypass.  But just because it's a bypass doesn't mean it isn't susceptible to congestion.

If KDOT gave a damn about shunpiking, they wouldn't have built I-35 east of Emporia.

I've always found it at least mildly surprising that it got built in the first place, considering you can count on one hand the number of miles it saves versus routing I-35 along the whole length of the Turnpike.  I can only imagine the suburban growth that would have likely occurred in Leavenworth and Douglas Counties but instead went to Johnson County because of the toll-free I-35 segment.
I am the traffic, and so are you.

Disclaimer:  All views I express here are my own and do not reflect those of any employer or any organization or entity with whom I have or have had any professional relationship.

mvak36

• 2016 WS champs!!!!

• Last Login: Today at 02:29:23 PM
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 09:32:33 PM »

Good. Now they have to decide whether to make it a four-lane road, a six-lane road, and/or make it a toll road.

I think they probably will have to at least make the people getting off of I-70 pay a toll so that everyone just doesn't get on K-10 to avoid paying tolls on that last stretch of 70. Although K-10 is such a cluster from near the K-7 interchange to its eastern terminus that I'd probably still take 70 to not have to deal with the traffic.

But if you take I-70 through Kansas City, you have to deal with the cluster that is the Downtown Loop.  K-10 is the western leg of Kansas City's de facto east-west bypass.  But just because it's a bypass doesn't mean it isn't susceptible to congestion.

If KDOT gave a damn about shunpiking, they wouldn't have built I-35 east of Emporia.

I actually live in Johnson county east of the 435/35/K-10 interchange. Iíve found it quicker to take 70 and 435 rather than try to deal with the congestion on K10 once I get closer to the city. Maybe itís just how the traffic was at the times I was driving through.

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

route56

• Last Login: Today at 03:09:00 PM
    • route56.com
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »

KDOT has installed a queue detection system for the K-10/27th Street intersection. Here's the press release:

Quote from: KDOT
KDOT making interim improvements on SLTís K-10 at 27th Street

On Sept. 11, the Kansas Department of Transportation implemented one of many interim improvements to address safety on the South Lawrence Trafficway (SLT) corridor while the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement study continues to progress for the future freeway improvements.

KDOT installed a queue warning system in advance of the K-10/27th Street intersection, informing travelers of the presence of slow or stopped traffic using dynamic message signs. Travelers can anticipate advanced warning messages on three eastbound signs and four westbound signs.

The signs will notify travelers to slow down to help reduce queuing-related collisions. KDOT urges all motorists to be alert and obey the warning signs when approaching and driving through this intersection.

To stay aware of all road construction projects across Kansas go to www.kandrive.org or call 5-1-1.

For more information, please contact: Garry Olson, Traffic Engineer with the Bureau of [size=78%]Transportation Safety and Technology, 785-368-7297.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 11:36:41 AM
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 02:44:05 PM »

Variable Message Signs are always good in providing travel times and other information about the roadway in question. Here in Wisconsin, they are used extensively in the Milwaukee area, and there are some in the Madison area as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.