Your dream road trips

Started by index, September 11, 2018, 01:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

My dream: be retired today, and money is no object. So now that I am dreaming, I would love to spend about a month in each state exploring all of the historic sites, clinch all of the counties, and just relax & enjoy life.

Well, back to reality.....
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on September 16, 2018, 10:11:39 AM
My dream: be retired today, and money is no object. So now that I am dreaming, I would love to spend about a month in each state exploring all of the historic sites, clinch all of the counties, and just relax & enjoy life.

Assuming I make enough between pension, investments, and social security I've thought it would be pretty cool to do a 1 year rental in certain states.  I definitely could hit up everything in a geographic area like; cool roads, Natiional Parks, historical points of interest, etc.  Honestly it seems way more appealing than RVing or spending time tending to a house 24/7. 

cjk374

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 16, 2018, 11:34:36 AM

Assuming I make enough between pension, investments, and social security I've thought it would be pretty cool to do a 1 year rental in certain states.  I definitely could hit up everything in a geographic area like; cool roads, Natiional Parks, historical points of interest, etc.  Honestly it seems way more appealing than RVing or spending time tending to a house 24/7. 

Some RVs are the price of a house...and maintaining either are not cheap. I would like to be able to do all of the cross-country driving in my old '83 Grand Prix (with it all fixed up of course), just to say I did the trip in a car so old.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on September 16, 2018, 11:50:38 AM

Some RVs are the price of a house...and maintaining either are not cheap. I would like to be able to do all of the cross-country driving in my old '83 Grand Prix (with it all fixed up of course), just to say I did the trip in a car so old.

Not only that you suddenly become obstruction to everyone on the road and sap away all the fun that driving can entail.  Personally I'd rather just pack a tent or throw a sleeping bag in the back of the car/SUV. 

kurumi

A trip through the South where the themes are BBQ, bourbon, and US highways. Texas, KC, St. Louis, Memphis, Kentucky, Alabama, South and North Carolina. (California's Santa Maria-style tri-tip is very good, but already closer to home.)

From the southernmost to northernmost driveable parts of Japan, starting with Route 58 in Okinawa.

Follow traces of the old Roman roads in England (a fair amount of walking)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

MantyMadTown

That probably sounds like something I would do when I retire. Basically spend all my time traveling the country, probably renting houses in places out west.
Forget the I-41 haters

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MantyMadTown on September 16, 2018, 11:40:09 PM

That probably sounds like something I would do when I retire. Basically spend all my time traveling the country, probably renting houses in places out west.

Sounds better than staying in one place.  Granted my family is spread through the entire country.  Most snowbirds generally maintain a home at their state/region of origin due to family being present. 

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 17, 2018, 12:05:25 AM

Sounds better than staying in one place.  Granted my family is spread through the entire country.  Most snowbirds generally maintain a home at their state/region of origin due to family being present.

Yeah I would probably still have a home in Wisconsin or wherever I live during that time. I still have my whole life ahead of me so I have no idea if I will stay.
Forget the I-41 haters

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MantyMadTown on September 17, 2018, 07:15:37 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 17, 2018, 12:05:25 AM

Yeah I would probably still have a home in Wisconsin or wherever I live during that time. I still have my whole life ahead of me so I have no idea if I will stay.

Heh...if anything life has taught me anything is that the above sentiment isn't exactly a certainty.  I grew up in Michigan around family but really didn't see much of a future in it.  I ended up bailing out at the age of 18 and pretty much built a career on moving from one place to the next.  I've been around family, friends, and significant others that all thought they had all the time in the world to pursue the things they wanted to do, see, or otherwise experience.  Time and time again I've seen that "I'll wait for tomorrow"  mentality turn into regret when people got too sick, passed away, or financially unable to pursue their ambitions and see things they dreamed of doing.  My advice is not to take the mindset, you really don't know when there won't be a tomorrow.  Try to see and do as much as you can when you have the opportunity. 

To that end, I don't have much attachment to pretty much any particular place.  It's hard to fathom being content staying in one place for the rest of my life now. 

Beltway

I could do that now that I am fully retired and could afford to do so, and am not married so it would my decision alone.  However after about 16 months since retirement I have ample activities around Richmond plus a few long trips per year, that I really don't do much different from when I was working, in my non-work activities.  My annual mileage was about 22,000 and now is about 27,000, so I do plenty of driving and enjoy and see a lot of interesting things in this region of the country.  It is relaxing.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.