AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Your dream road trips  (Read 639 times)

cjk374

• The road less travelled is well worn under my feet

• Last Login: November 15, 2018, 09:44:27 PM
Re: Your dream road trips
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 10:11:39 AM »

My dream: be retired today, and money is no object. So now that I am dreaming, I would love to spend about a month in each state exploring all of the historic sites, clinch all of the counties, and just relax & enjoy life.

Well, back to reality.....
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 01:48:56 AM
    • Sure, Why Not? (Highway Blog Spot)
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »

My dream: be retired today, and money is no object. So now that I am dreaming, I would love to spend about a month in each state exploring all of the historic sites, clinch all of the counties, and just relax & enjoy life.

Assuming I make enough between pension, investments, and social security Iíve thought it would be pretty cool to do a 1 year rental in certain states.  I definitely could hit up everything in a geographic area like; cool roads, Natiional Parks, historical points of interest, etc.  Honestly it seems way more appealing than RVing or spending time tending to a house 24/7. 

cjk374

• The road less travelled is well worn under my feet

• Last Login: November 15, 2018, 09:44:27 PM
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 11:50:38 AM »

Assuming I make enough between pension, investments, and social security Iíve thought it would be pretty cool to do a 1 year rental in certain states.  I definitely could hit up everything in a geographic area like; cool roads, Natiional Parks, historical points of interest, etc.  Honestly it seems way more appealing than RVing or spending time tending to a house 24/7. 

Some RVs are the price of a house...and maintaining either are not cheap. I would like to be able to do all of the cross-country driving in my old '83 Grand Prix (with it all fixed up of course), just to say I did the trip in a car so old.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »

Some RVs are the price of a house...and maintaining either are not cheap. I would like to be able to do all of the cross-country driving in my old '83 Grand Prix (with it all fixed up of course), just to say I did the trip in a car so old.

Not only that you suddenly become obstruction to everyone on the road and sap away all the fun that driving can entail.  Personally Iíd rather just pack a tent or throw a sleeping bag in the back of the car/SUV. 

kurumi

• Last Login: Today at 01:38:29 AM
    • kurumi.com
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 12:24:44 PM »

A trip through the South where the themes are BBQ, bourbon, and US highways. Texas, KC, St. Louis, Memphis, Kentucky, Alabama, South and North Carolina. (California's Santa Maria-style tri-tip is very good, but already closer to home.)

From the southernmost to northernmost driveable parts of Japan, starting with Route 58 in Okinawa.

Follow traces of the old Roman roads in England (a fair amount of walking)

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: Today at 12:53:15 AM
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 11:40:09 PM »

That probably sounds like something I would do when I retire. Basically spend all my time traveling the country, probably renting houses in places out west.
Forget the I-41 haters

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2018, 12:05:25 AM »

That probably sounds like something I would do when I retire. Basically spend all my time traveling the country, probably renting houses in places out west.

Sounds better than staying in one place.  Granted my family is spread through the entire country.  Most snowbirds generally maintain a home at their state/region of origin due to family being present. 

MantyMadTown

• UW-Madison

• Last Login: Today at 12:53:15 AM
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »

Sounds better than staying in one place.  Granted my family is spread through the entire country.  Most snowbirds generally maintain a home at their state/region of origin due to family being present.

Yeah I would probably still have a home in Wisconsin or wherever I live during that time. I still have my whole life ahead of me so I have no idea if I will stay.
Forget the I-41 haters

Max Rockatansky

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2018, 07:52:19 PM »

Yeah I would probably still have a home in Wisconsin or wherever I live during that time. I still have my whole life ahead of me so I have no idea if I will stay.

Heh...if anything life has taught me anything is that the above sentiment isnít exactly a certainty.  I grew up in Michigan around family but really didnít see much of a future in it.  I ended up bailing out at the age of 18 and pretty much built a career on moving from one place to the next.  Iíve been around family, friends, and significant others that all thought they had all the time in the world to pursue the things they wanted to do, see, or otherwise experience.  Time and time again Iíve seen that ďIíll wait for tomorrowĒ mentality turn into regret when people got too sick, passed away, or financially unable to pursue their ambitions and see things they dreamed of doing.  My advice is not to take the mindset, you really donít know when there wonít be a tomorrow.  Try to see and do as much as you can when you have the opportunity. 

To that end, I donít have much attachment to pretty much any particular place.  Itís hard to fathom being content staying in one place for the rest of my life now. 

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 12:54:28 AM
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 12:09:37 AM »

I could do that now that I am fully retired and could afford to do so, and am not married so it would my decision alone.  However after about 16 months since retirement I have ample activities around Richmond plus a few long trips per year, that I really don't do much different from when I was working, in my non-work activities.  My annual mileage was about 22,000 and now is about 27,000, so I do plenty of driving and enjoy and see a lot of interesting things in this region of the country.  It is relaxing.
Scott M. Savage
-- Borders, Language and Culture
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.