News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Shortest highways

Started by Voyager, April 19, 2009, 06:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on September 08, 2018, 05:22:13 PM
Quote from: bing101 on July 29, 2018, 02:29:54 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 06, 2009, 08:24:26 PM
I think there is some highway in Kentucky that is 37 feet long.  I don't know what the shortest *signed* highway is.

What What only 37 feet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_highways_in_Kentucky_shorter_than_one_mile

But Kentucky 410 is the shortest signed route in the state.

"Special route?" That must be a Wiki-made-up term because never, ever, in my life have I heard that term used. Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

I hate to reply to a comment that is almost a month old but I was curious about that myself, and as it turns out the term "special route" does appear in an AASHTO document used as one of the references on the Wikipedia article on special routes, although honestly from the looks of things the article only uses that term because "bannered route" isn't an official term either and "special route" is about as close to one as it gets.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 08, 2018, 06:37:20 PMRI 114A is the shortest route in RI and is signed on RI 114 and River Rd at intersections, but not on the road itself.  You can see the white paddle town MA town line sign from its terminus.
Further north, there's another segment of RI 114A that runs from the MA State Line at Ledge Rd. to Pawtucket Ave. (RI 1A/114) in East Providence.

Upshoot: not only is RI 114A the shortest route in RI; its total mileage (of 0.4 miles) consists of two separate segments (separated by a 3-mile stretch in MA).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.