News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Driving Time Dilation

Started by SafeSpeeder, August 28, 2021, 12:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SafeSpeeder

People who frequently drive fast, are actually experiencing time slower than those who are hogging lanes on the highway. This means the faster speeds one drives at, the further into the future they experience compared to a normal time frame (Time Dilation).

hotdogPi

Airplanes do much more for this than cars do.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

Try getting near the Event Horizon of a Black Hole (assuming you can withstand the heat) and find out what happens regarding time dilation.

jeffandnicole

If you want to see a millenia of picoseconds of time duration, see what happens when you try taking one of my McDonald's french fries.

CoreySamson

Ah, this is a perfect thread to bring up one of the laws instituted during the Figueroa administration dictating the regulations on driving time dilation.

Ordinance 75.56, Section 2.
Whilst driving a car commences, driving time dilation is not to exceed 34.4 picoseconds, unless the driving time dilation is 500.3 picoseconds exactly, by which penalties shall not be brought upon onto the defendant. Under the 2002.5 Alanland Environmental Agency Executive Periodical Organization Development Board, if the dilation exceeds 23.2 picoseconds, then the operator must fill out an I-69 form of exitation, and bring it to the Pfangle on 42nd street in Large Oblast for documentation.

Section 3.
If the operator of the car is not in fact operating a car, but instead operating a quadricyclian moped, then the driving time dilation is not to exceed 1.2319 firsts. Operators will be punished if they fill out an I-69 form of exitation.

Section 4. Penalties.

First offense of Section 2 will result in the car's oil being siphoned off by Thealan69321, and a fine of 350 Numberwang. Second and third offenses require the guilty party to sing "To Hell With Alan Colfax" whilst wearing a fish hat upside down over their left kneecap. Section 3 has no associated penalties. First offense of Section 4 will result in exportation to Nimbya, as well as the compulsory fine of 350 Numberwang.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

So is there any "punishment" for having to stand (or sit) in place?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

formulanone

CtrlAltDel

Driving for an hour at one ten-millionth of the speed of light, about 67.06 mph, gives a total time dilation of almost exactly 180 microseconds.

Unless I messed up the math, which I may have.

ETA: Which I did, it works out to 18 picoseconds.

Now you know.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

renegade

So what do you plan to do with all this extra time?

CoreySamson

Quote from: renegade on August 29, 2021, 05:01:57 PM
I intend to use it documenting obscure laws from Alanland, thank you very much.

My Route Log
My Clinches

renegade

Quote from: CoreySamson on August 29, 2021, 05:25:46 PM
Oh.  OK.  Goodbye then.   :wave:

Brandon

Which is and is not allowed under Law 8675309.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2021, 08:55:27 PM

Which is and is not allowed under Law 8675309.

Do the normal laws of physics apply in Alanland?

kurumi

There's also the issue of relativistic mass increase: your mass increases as your speed does. It might be neither sick gainz nor just "flahb" but Lorentz contraction. Will it make you look 0.000000001% more jacked?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

I-55

Quote from: SafeSpeeder on August 28, 2021, 01:33:09 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 28, 2021, 12:45:43 PM

But do people fly everyday?

You'd be surprised to know that captains, pilots, copilots, air marshals, and the rest of airplane staff do indeed fly almost every day.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Rothman

Quote from: I-55 on August 30, 2021, 09:59:52 PM

You'd be surprised to know that captains, pilots, copilots, air marshals, and the rest of airplane staff do indeed fly almost every day.

Actually, no.  Pilots have mandated time off.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on August 30, 2021, 10:09:13 PM

Quote from: I-55 on August 30, 2021, 09:59:52 PM

Actually, no.  Pilots have mandated time off.

Sure, but that doesn't mean they aren't sometimes a passenger on those days off. I seem to remember reading it's kind of commonplace for a pilot or flight attendant's week to end with them in a totally different city than where they started, but the airline will fly them as a passenger back to wherever home is after their last shift ends.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

So is that why time seems to fly faster as I age?  Because I've traveled more miles?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 29, 2021, 11:14:17 PM

Those are the only laws of physics that do apply in Alanland.  The weird ones don't apply, as stipulated in the Brunsweld Edict.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

Quote from: kphoger on August 31, 2021, 01:57:58 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 29, 2021, 11:14:17 PM

Those are the only laws of physics that do apply in Alanland.  The weird ones don't apply, as stipulated in the Brunsweld Edict.
As a result of this, it is very difficult (some would say impossible) to get into Alanland State University, because the university is too busy reviewing the laws' applications to get in that it neglects those of goats and Alans. The weird ones go to night school instead (trust me, you do not want to go to night school in Alanland).

My Route Log
My Clinches

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.