Regional Boards > Canada

BC rolls back speed limits

(1/3) > >>

Hurricane Rex:
Most of you have seen the speed kills your pocketbook video. A year after it was publushed, speed limits jumped on 1/8 of the highways. 1/2 of those have been rolled back and the speed kills crowd still doesn't seem to be satisfied. Plus the data they cite is fishy. Link: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018TRAN0187-002139#

LG-TP260

oscar:
At least the 120km/h limit on BC 5 between Hope and Kamloops stays. On one segment reduced from 120 to 110km/h, on BC 97C, 120 seemed to me a little high for a twisty mountain freeway, as much as I like high speed limits.

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote ---The top three contributing factors for segments with increased collisions are driver inattentiveness, road conditions and driving too fast for conditions.
--- End quote ---

But none of these have anything to do with speed limits.  Regardless if the speed limit is 20 or 120, you have to drive based on the conditions present.

bcroadguy:

I didn't read the study, but according to some guy on Reddit (very reliable source lol), the statistics they used to justify the decreases included two of the worst winters in decades and actual travel speeds didn't change. The NDP government is obsessed with photo radar and speed cameras so it doesn't surprise me they would do this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/9uqki3/bc_government_to_roll_back_speed_limit_hikes_by/

jakeroot:

--- Quote from: bcroadguy on November 14, 2018, 03:26:26 AM ---The NDP government is obsessed with photo radar and speed cameras so it doesn't surprise me they would do this.

--- End quote ---

Todd Stone was the best thing to happen to the MOT in years. Still apparently the only one who has any idea how speed limits work. That said, Trevena is from England, so you'd think her experience with high limits over there would reflect on her choices here.

--- Quote from: bcroadguy on November 14, 2018, 03:26:26 AM ---I didn't read the study, but according to some guy on Reddit (very reliable source lol), the statistics they used to justify the decreases included two of the worst winters in decades and actual travel speeds didn't change.

--- End quote ---

According to the press release, travel speeds did not change (or decreased) on 14 of the 33 roads.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version