AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald  (Read 240 times)

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 08:40:21 PM
The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
« on: November 10, 2018, 07:13:40 PM »

I just got it into my head that it is 43 years to the minute that the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in 530 feet of water in Lake Superior. As I heard Gordon Lightfoot's tribute to this ship I had studied this shipwreck in school. RIP to the 29 men on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: Today at 06:32:40 PM
Re: The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 07:23:02 AM »

Did Burton Cummings of the Guess Who do his impression of Gordon singing this song? Regardless, his impression of Gordon singing Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" is spot-on perfect! :D

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: Today at 09:28:37 AM
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »

I think it's still the last sinking of a commercial ship in the Great Lakes.

Three cheers for GPS and better weather forecasting.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

PHLBOS

• Last Login: Today at 04:44:54 PM
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 06:23:30 PM »

Many years ago, from WROR-Boston's Loren & Wally show.
Note: the song is parodying Gordon Lightfoot; not the 29 crew members.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

index

• Resident loathsome one

• Last Login: Today at 09:22:04 PM
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:09:21 PM »

Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Favorite lyrics from Gordon Lightfoot's famous song.

By the way, is it a common thing for people around the region to learn about the shipwreck or something? I've heard it before from two people that they've learned of it in school.
North Carolinian born in Fairfax County, VA. Advocate for slapping an interstate shield over every single freeway and U.S. route corridor in NC.

abefroman329

• Old fat fucks ruin everything.

• Last Login: Today at 09:37:17 PM
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:46:00 PM »

By the way, is it a common thing for people around the region to learn about the shipwreck or something? I've heard it before from two people that they've learned of it in school.
It didn't make it into my school's curriculum in suburban Chicago, but I can see how it would have in cities and towns affected by the shipwreck, similar to how my school seemed to devote a lot of time to the Great Chicago Fire.

roadman

• Last Login: Today at 04:14:23 PM
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:59:37 PM »

Did Burton Cummings of the Guess Who do his impression of Gordon singing this song? Regardless, his impression of Gordon singing Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" is spot-on perfect! :D

Doing an impression of Gordon Lightfoot signing a Gordon Lightfoot song?  Kind of defeats the purpose, if you ask me.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 08:40:21 PM
« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:59:28 PM »

Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Favorite lyrics from Gordon Lightfoot's famous song.

This ship is the largest to go down in the Great Lakes and if you are learning about shipwrecks this one gets mentioned. One reason for it's sinking is that the Edmund Fitzgerald sat low in the water which allowed more water in to flood the deck weighing it down causing it to take on more water. It also hit a shoal as it was passing Caribou Island.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.