News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 07, 2022, 03:36:55 PM
(For PA 420)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Route 420 South (Wanamaker Avenue) Bridge over Darby Creek to Close Indefinitely in Prospect Park Borough, Tinicum Township

This bridge currently has a weight limit with an ALT TRUCK Route.

Found that out via a rush hour report on KYW News Radio during my homeward commute tonight, on the 5:22 update.

Quote(For PA 611)  PennDOT - District 5 News: Monroe County: PA 611 Closed in Delaware Water Gap

From the linked statement: 
QuotePA 611 was closed last night due to a rock slide caused by recent heavy rain. Traffic is being detoured on PA 512, PA 33, US 209, Interstate 80, and Business Route 209.

This section of PA 611 will remain closed until further notice.
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

PHLBOS

(For PA 420)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Route 420 South (Wanamaker Avenue) Bridge over Darby Creek to Close Indefinitely in Prospect Park Borough, Tinicum Township

This bridge is about a mile from where I live and will impact access to I-95 (especially northbound) & PHL big time.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 07, 2022, 07:08:55 PM

This bridge is about a mile from where I live and will impact access to I-95 (especially northbound) & PHL big time.

These bridges get inspected once a year.  How did it manage to deteriorate so badly in a year's span that it required a closure? That simply isn't normal.

ixnay

Yep, another bridgemageddon (this one of the half variety, and I'm looking at you, L.A.).  Memphis had a full one last year with I-40.  North Jersey had its half one with the Pulaski Skyway.  The Newark, DE area is currently having a full one where Otts Chapel Rd. crosses I-95.

Philly's biggest bridgemageddon may have been 40 years ago when the Platt Bridge (PA 291) was closed for three years for redecking.  It reopened at the same time the missing link of I-95 opened.
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

famartin

Quote from: ixnay on December 08, 2022, 08:14:00 AM

Yep, another bridgemageddon (this one of the half variety, and I'm looking at you, L.A.).  Memphis had a full one last year with I-40.  North Jersey had its half one with the Pulaski Skyway.  The Newark, DE area is currently having a full one where Otts Chapel Rd. crosses I-95.

Philly's biggest bridgemageddon may have been 40 years ago when the Platt Bridge was closed for three years for redecking.

I'm mildly surprised they haven't considered restriping the northbound bridge to one-lane each direction for the short-term. Maybe they'll do that in the coming days. Or maybe they're afraid traffic will back up onto I-95, though I didn't get the impression traffic was that heavy to cause such a problem.

ixnay

Quote from: famartin on December 08, 2022, 09:38:37 AM
Quote from: ixnay on December 08, 2022, 08:14:00 AM

Philly's biggest bridgemageddon may have been 40 years ago when the Platt Bridge was closed for three years for redecking.

I'm mildly surprised they haven't considered restriping the northbound bridge to one-lane each direction for the short-term. Maybe they'll do that in the coming days. Or maybe they're afraid traffic will back up onto I-95, though I didn't get the impression traffic was that heavy to cause such a problem.

It's in the same part of Delco as the Ward Ave. bridge closure in downtown Ridley Park.

74/171FAN

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/5Rpff2w9M4AV6Ryd9
This is odd. US 30 mainline drops to one lane while the unnumbered route into the city gets two lanes.

This always got me with PennDOT with freeway bypasses at the ends. In some places the freeway starts from a default where the main route becomes the freeway and the old alignment is from an exit, then in others the existing alignment is the main body and the the through route must exit.

Plus the lack of a Business US 30 designated is another issue. As US 220 has a business route through the same city. Why designate one and not both.

https://goo.gl/maps/K2bchyeUpokfbbha8
Then the unusual white faced Turnpike shields, which I like, seem common in some areas over others.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

^Actually, US 30 does have a business route here.  It is not fully posted though.

roadman65

Still US 220 gets better attention despite the PA 56 interchange on I-99 which is supposed to be its northern terminus.

https://goo.gl/maps/kpCjEznPtHKp4Fg7A
Also what is the route number for the freeway connector between I-99 Exit 28 and US 22 here?
https://goo.gl/maps/UaPuzejsEvKQfdU67 https://goo.gl/maps/UaPuzejsEvKQfdU67
US 22 exits the freeway at PA 764 so that freeway is unnumbered and acts as a glorified ramp between the two.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quick clicks on the VideoLog show the ramps here as SR 8004 (usually ramps have a SR 8XXX number).

roadman65

I take someday they plan to extend the US 22 freeway to the east and bypass Holidaysburg?

https://goo.gl/maps/kNXanZPV2TNgKC796
Also I saw this unusual mileage sign on a local road in Breezewood for points along I-70.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2022, 09:31:38 AM
I take someday they plan to extend the US 22 freeway to the east and bypass Holidaysburg?

I am unsure that is even necessary.  Taking I-99 NB to Frankstown Rd or PA 453 is what I see on GPS units to do to get around US 22.

Also I saw this unusual mileage sign on a local road in Breezewood for points along I-70.

That road connects to an interchange on I-70 to the south as an alternate into and out of Breezewood for those coming to/from US 30 to the west.

roadman65

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 12, 2022, 10:02:08 AM

I am unsure that is even necessary.  Taking I-99 NB to Frankstown Rd or PA 453 is what I see on GPS units to do to get around US 22.

That road connects to an interchange on I-70 to the south as an alternate into and out of Breezewood for those coming to/from US 30 to the west.

Well the trumpet for Exit 28 leaves room for extension. Plus EB to NB crosses under I-99 with NB to WB above it.  So I'm sure they've examined that aspect during design.

Sheryl Crowe

Bitmapped

Quote from: roadman65 on December 11, 2022, 04:15:32 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/5Rpff2w9M4AV6Ryd9
This is odd. US 30 mainline drops to one lane while the unnumbered route into the city gets two lanes.

This always got me with PennDOT with freeway bypasses at the ends. In some places the freeway starts from a default where the main route becomes the freeway and the old alignment is from an exit, then in others the existing alignment is the main body and the the through route must exit.

My assumption about the left exit configuration here is that it minimized impacts from earthmoving on Raystown Branch Juniata River. As for why the lanes are striped like that with US 30 existing off itself, I don't know.

roadman65

On the west end of that bypass, they do give US 30 the advantage though with an at grade.

I do know the US 30 exiting itself at Lancaster and Coatesville has to do with planned freeways between the two that never got built due to NIMBYs in both Lancaster and Chester Counties.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 9 News: Road Closure on Route 3003 (Draketown Road) Bridge in Somerset County

QuoteHollidaysburg, PA — The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) is implementing a bridge closure on Route 3003 (Draketown Road) at the intersection with T-393 (Conn Road) in Lower Turkeyfoot Township due to undermining of the stone abutment.

This restriction is being implemented in the interest of safety and will be effective immediately. At this time, a date to be able to make repairs has not been determined, however, repairs will likely not be able to be completed until spring due to high water and the winter season.

Traffic will be detoured using Route 3003 (Draketown Road) and Route 281.

Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

Subscribe to Penndot news in Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Fulton, Huntingdon and Somerset Counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District9.

Follow local PennDOT information on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAAltoona.

Media contact: Tara M Callahan-Henry, 814-696-7101   

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 12, 2022, 10:02:08 AM

All that needs to be done honestly, is just connect it directly to US-220 Business there (Plank Road).  That's it.  That way, they can bypass Duncansville, which is the major problem there.

roadman65

What's really odd is the turnpike like trumpet to trumpet interchange in Duncansville at US 22 and PA 764. Usually they're created for closed ticket tolling.

One of the rare non tolled freeway use of such an interchange.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.