AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Pennsylvania  (Read 223651 times)

Tonytone

• Last Login: Today at 06:38:13 AM
    • LawnCare Website
Re: Pennsylvania
« Reply #1400 on: March 08, 2019, 04:11:59 PM »

Sorry PHLBOS, I saw those new fixtures, I meant the ones right under the BGS, the old LEDs probably originally from the 1960’s in person they look like down arrows.
If you're referring to those over each lane, such are indeed lane-arrows; I've never seen them lit either... but I've only lived in the Delaware Valley since mid-1990.  Those lights date back to the 1970s when that stretch of I-95 was built.
1990, thats over 30 years now, have said roads improved? Or still the same, Ive seen some roads in PA where potholes look like they have been there since the 90’s. As far as those lights under the sign, I wonder what they look like lit up & J&N why would they not work? You would be able to clearly see them lit up.

A city without a highway? Thats like rural areas without farms. Luckily we have them, but it makes me wonder, will we ever see a day where roads dont get jampacked during rush hour or is that really not possible due to people complaining & “money” not being enough.
You're mostly preaching to the choir in this forum on that subject.  Many of those that complain about highways overlook their benefits and, in many instances are flat-out hypocrites IMHO.

Case-and-point: I wonder how many of those the whined in protest about the Blue Route (I-476) in the Swarthmore area prior to it being built not only use that road to get to/from points north but complain about its traffic.  It was their complaints that triggered the narrowing to 4-lanes south of PA 3 (Exit 9) despite the unrestrained development that was taking place along its feeder roads (MacDade Blvd., Baltimore Pike, West Chester Pike (PA 3)).  Such was the reason why the vehicles counts soared up to it 20-year projections within its first year open.
[/quote] But, you would think people would learn from past mistakes, if their parents said no to the highway & it caused issues, wouldn’t the children to them now adults say yes to the improvements to fix these roads?! No we have problems on top of problems in infrastructure because people dont wanna give up 2 feet of land for 20 years of improvements.

iPhone
Working on Civil Engineer Degree/Creator of Valuez Lawn-Care

Tonytone

• LawnCare Website
« Reply #1401 on: March 08, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »

double decker instead of 2 bridges, that saved PA some money.

Not necessarily.  A single bridge holding 8 lanes of traffic (as originally designed) needs to be significantly stronger than a bridge holding 4 lanes of traffic.  Double decking also means approach roadways have to be configured and bridged as well.  And building roads isn't always about the cheapest design.  The cheapest may not always be the best for the community, surrounding areas, or as PHLBOS mentioned, other nearby issues.

That all said, I wished 95 North was on top.  That would have made for a beautiful view of the South Philly Navy Yard, Sports Complex, and Center City off in the distance.  Instead, you see a bunch of bridge beams.
That explains why the bridge bows to the right & then the left like that! I agree if NB was on the top it would make a already kinda good view 100x better, Atleast at night you can see the PHL International, the Barry Bridge,NJ & alot of over things, I know many of you have seen alll the lights at night its really beautiful.

Sorry PHLBOS, I saw those new fixtures, I meant the ones right under the BGS, the old LEDs probably originally from the 1960’s in person they look like down arrows.

I never recall a time when they were lit.  They would essentially be useless for such a short distance without any other warnings.[/Quote] why would they not work, you would be able to see them clearly if they were lit up.

I’ll take a picture for the people, It was my first time on that road & it was very very curvy, dangerous if you’re not looking lmao.

Going North, the road is laser straight.  Going South, there's a slight incline/decline, and maybe a slight shift due to the ramps, but otherwise no curve.

I'll grant you it's a dangerous area though, with people trying to find their proper lanes for upcoming exits and speed differences of 30+ mph between the slowest and fastest drivers!
[/quote]
The road with the barrier is very curvy J&N look at the GSV from above. I think you’re talking about the part when it goes by I-76.

iPhone

PHLBOS

• Last Login: March 25, 2019, 05:52:35 PM
« Reply #1402 on: March 08, 2019, 05:53:07 PM »

If you're referring to those over each lane, such are indeed lane-arrows; I've never seen them lit either... but I've only lived in the Delaware Valley since mid-1990.  Those lights date back to the 1970s when that stretch of I-95 was built.
1990, thats over 30 years now, have said roads improved? Or still the same, Ive seen some roads in PA where potholes look like they have been there since the 90’s. As far as those lights under the sign, I wonder what they look like lit up & J&N why would they not work? You would be able to clearly see them lit up.
29 years, 2020 is next year.  I-95 from I-676 southward really hasn't really changed too much since the early 1990s.  When I first moved here: the I-95/676 connection ramps weren't yet open (such opened when the Vine Expressway was fully completed), two of the I-95 South entrance ramps (one at Market St. the other at Morris St.) and the Penns Landing interchange (Exit 21) ramps weren't open yet either.  At that time, those along I-95 northbound heading towards Penns Landing exited off a ramp that dumped traffic onto Morris St. (that ramp was replaced with the current Exit 21 ramp).  Those along I-95 southbound had used Exit 22 but such only connected to Callowhill St. back then.

The 1991 opening of the eastern portion of I-676 and those ramps along the Penns Landing stretch of I-95 were a big deal back then.

Side bar: the steel truss arch for Girard Point Bridge has only been painted blue for about a decade.  Prior to that, it was painted standard DOT green.

A city without a highway? 
Case-and-point: I wonder how many of those the whined in protest about the Blue Route (I-476) in the Swarthmore area prior to it being built not only use that road to get to/from points north but complain about its traffic.  It was their complaints that triggered the narrowing to 4-lanes south of PA 3 (Exit 9) despite the unrestrained development that was taking place along its feeder roads (MacDade Blvd., Baltimore Pike, West Chester Pike (PA 3)).  Such was the reason why the vehicles counts soared up to it 20-year projections within its first year open.
But, you would think people would learn from past mistakes, if their parents said no to the highway & it caused issues, wouldn’t the children to them now adults say yes to the improvements to fix these roads?! No we have problems on top of problems in infrastructure because people dont wanna give up 2 feet of land for 20 years of improvements.
Sadly, a lot of people don't learn from their history, and as a result similar mistakes are repeated again later on.  I've been around long enough to witness manifestations of such and I'm not just referring to roads & transportation-related subjects.

There's an old saying that's been quoted by many people over the years but Sir Winston Churchill's variation of the quote I like best and is spot on IMHO, "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:55:11 PM by PHLBOS »
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

• LawnCare Website
« Reply #1403 on: March 08, 2019, 08:32:44 PM »

29 years, 2020 is next year.  I-95 from I-676 southward really hasn't really changed too much since the early 1990s.  When I first moved here: the I-95/676 connection ramps weren't yet open (such opened when the Vine Expressway was fully completed), two of the I-95 South entrance ramps (one at Market St. the other at Morris St.) and the Penns Landing interchange (Exit 21) ramps weren't open yet either.  At that time, those along I-95 northbound heading towards Penns Landing exited off a ramp that dumped traffic onto Morris St. (that ramp was replaced with the current Exit 21 ramp).  Those along I-95 southbound had used Exit 22 but such only connected to Callowhill St. back then.

The 1991 opening of the eastern portion of I-676 and those ramps along the Penns Landing stretch of I-95 were a big deal back then.

Side bar: the steel truss arch for Girard Point Bridge has only been painted blue for about a decade.  Prior to that, it was painted standard DOT green.

A city without a highway? 
But, you would think people would learn from past mistakes, if their parents said no to the highway & it caused issues, wouldn’t the children to them now adults say yes to the improvements to fix these roads?! No we have problems on top of problems in infrastructure because people dont wanna give up 2 feet of land for 20 years of improvements.
Sadly, a lot of people don't learn from their history, and as a result similar mistakes are repeated again later on.  I've been around long enough to witness manifestations of such and I'm not just referring to roads & transportation-related subjects.

There's an old saying that's been quoted by many people over the years but Sir Winston Churchill's variation of the quote I like best and is spot on IMHO, "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."
I like that quote, its a good one & I will now store it in my memory for generations to come.

I assume every road in PA will have to be revamped in the coming years, From Chester part of I-95 to I-295 there are problems, they are fixing them but sheesh, when you start looking at all of them the list adds on. & now im just now realizing that I-676 has only been open for 30 years, they wont redo that part for another 50!!  I also remember when the bridge was green, didnt they just repaint it a couple years ago?

iPhone

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 06:15:56 AM
« Reply #1404 on: March 08, 2019, 11:15:30 PM »

I never recall a time when they were lit.  They would essentially be useless for such a short distance without any other warnings.
why would they not work, you would be able to see them clearly if they were lit up.

Where did I say they don't work?  I simply said I've never seen them lit.  Usually with lane arrows, you need more notice than just a single arrow or X.

And they are vastly undersized, especially with today's standards.  Here's a view of them here:  https://goo.gl/maps/fCb8jEWXhet .  Here's a view of the lane status displays on the Walt Whitman Bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/YWGH9DpdS2Q2 .  You can see how much larger modern signals are.

I’ll take a picture for the people, It was my first time on that road & it was very very curvy, dangerous if you’re not looking lmao.

Going North, the road is laser straight.  Going South, there's a slight incline/decline, and maybe a slight shift due to the ramps, but otherwise no curve.

I'll grant you it's a dangerous area though, with people trying to find their proper lanes for upcoming exits and speed differences of 30+ mph between the slowest and fastest drivers!

The road with the barrier is very curvy J&N look at the GSV from above. I think you’re talking about the part when it goes by I-76.

Are we still talking about I-95 or another highway?  Here's a shot, zoomed in, of the unused lane arrows.  Where is there a curve?  Feel free to zoom out and go further back from these cut-and-cover tunnel decks to try to find any hint of a curve.

95 North:  https://goo.gl/maps/Em748vnDmkF2

95 South: https://goo.gl/maps/NgGm228fKou

Tonytone

• LawnCare Website
« Reply #1405 on: March 08, 2019, 11:23:36 PM »

I never recall a time when they were lit.  They would essentially be useless for such a short distance without any other warnings.
why would they not work, you would be able to see them clearly if they were lit up.

Where did I say they don't work?  I simply said I've never seen them lit.  Usually with lane arrows, you need more notice than just a single arrow or X.

And they are vastly undersized, especially with today's standards.  Here's a view of them here:  https://goo.gl/maps/fCb8jEWXhet .  Here's a view of the lane status displays on the Walt Whitman Bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/YWGH9DpdS2Q2 .  You can see how much larger modern signals are.

Are we still talking about I-95 or another highway?  Here's a shot, zoomed in, of the unused lane arrows.  Where is there a curve?  Feel free to zoom out and go further back from these cut-and-cover tunnel decks to try to find any hint of a curve.

95 North:  https://goo.gl/maps/Em748vnDmkF2

95 South: https://goo.gl/maps/NgGm228fKou
I was talking about Lincoln drive with the granite Jersey barrier.

Also yea those arrows are small, but I figure kit up green or red they will catch eyes, Im sure in there time of use they were bright dull. If you know what I mean by that.

iPhone

Roadsguy

• Last Login: Today at 01:55:53 AM
« Reply #1406 on: March 11, 2019, 05:05:13 PM »

Recently, PennDOT built a new left turn lane here on the eastbound US 30 frontage road (Chester Road) approaching PA 272/Oregon Pike. For the signage, though, all they initially did was take the existing signs and cover up the left and middle signs' arrows and put two arrows in the corners of the middle sign, not even shifting the signs' positions. Since then, though, they've replaced all three of the signs here, and they look quite good. They even replaced the one on the right for some reason, judging by the minor differences you can spot between this photo and the Street View.

[thing you don't like] is better than [thing you like]

jeffandnicole

« Reply #1407 on: March 12, 2019, 07:54:59 AM »

Recently, PennDOT built a new left turn lane here on the eastbound US 30 frontage road (Chester Road) approaching PA 272/Oregon Pike. For the signage, though, all they initially did was take the existing signs and cover up the left and middle signs' arrows and put two arrows in the corners of the middle sign, not even shifting the signs' positions. Since then, though, they've replaced all three of the signs here, and they look quite good. They even replaced the one on the right for some reason, judging by the minor differences you can spot between this photo and the Street View.

I want to hear the planner for the left-most sign:

"While I hear you in a left arrow will be fine, I'm just afraid someone will turn left immediately, drive up the embankment and crash into the guardrail.  I think we need to be specific where they should turn left".
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:15:42 AM by jeffandnicole »

PHLBOS

« Reply #1408 on: March 12, 2019, 08:58:51 AM »

Is it me or does the mixed-case lettering on the new signs appear thicker-stroked than those on the old signs?  I thought the mixed-case lettering on the old BGS' were Series E(M).  Was such actually an experimental case of Enhanced E(M) (Series E w/E(M) spacing).

Either way, the text on the older BGS' were actually more readable from a distance than those on the newer BGS' IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: March 25, 2019, 03:55:01 PM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1409 on: March 12, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »

Is it me or does the mixed-case lettering on the new signs appear thicker-stroked than those on the old signs?  I thought the mixed-case lettering on the old BGS' were Series E(M).  Was such actually an experimental case of Enhanced E(M) (Series E w/E(M) spacing).

Either way, the text on the older BGS' were actually more readable from a distance than those on the newer BGS' IMHO.
Is it just me or do those shields look slightly too big?  Or is the text slightly too small?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Why I don't use GPS

billpa

• Last Login: March 25, 2019, 04:53:25 AM
« Reply #1410 on: March 12, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »

Is it just me or do those shields look slightly too big?  Or is the text slightly too small?
On gsv the two '2s' in 272 - on the right sign - come right up against the edge of the keystone. On the new sign there's a lot more white space.

Pixel 2

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:44:05 AM by billpa »

billpa

• Last Login: March 25, 2019, 04:53:25 AM
« Reply #1411 on: March 12, 2019, 10:48:13 AM »

I also just noticed on the left side of the road they failed to use updated arrow lane assignment signs and instead used a 'Left Lane MUST Turn Left' sign, which I find annoying.

PHLBOS

« Reply #1412 on: March 12, 2019, 10:48:30 AM »

No, the shields are the same size as the old ones and are properly sized IMHO.  See examples in the MUTCD for confirmation.

Oversized control city text and/or undersized route shields has been one of the unintended consequences of many state agencies (including DelDOT, since you're from that state) adopting the Clearview font.  The intended use of that font was to be done instead of using larger text not in addition to such.

Although DelDOT has since switched back to FHWA; many of their newer installs still feature unnecessarily large sign panels (see I-95 just south of I-495 for examples) due to the use of larger text for the control cities.

That said & again, the heights of the shields & text in the above US 30/222/PA 272 examples in Lancaster are indeed correct.

On gsv the two '2s' in 272 come right up against the edge of the keystone. On these new signs there's a lot more white space.
Actually, the numerals on the 272 Keystone shield on the new BGS' as well as the old northbound 272 BGS are Series C.  The numerals (all of them not just the 2s) on the old 272 southbound are the wider Series D. 

Since both shields & numerals are of the same size/height; the result of using the Series D numerals meant that such numerals were scrunched in and why, IMHO, such should only be used on 3-digit route signs where the route number has at least a 1 in it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:51:24 AM by PHLBOS »
GPS does NOT equal GOD

akotchi

• Last Login: March 25, 2019, 10:29:33 PM
« Reply #1413 on: March 12, 2019, 11:30:13 AM »

It is possible that the text size was reduced on the panels, from 16" upper case to 13.3" upper case.  That may be why the shields look larger, because actually the text may be smaller.
Overhead Guide Signs:  The Traffic Engineer's Only True Canvas.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 25, 2019, 08:55:04 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #1414 on: March 15, 2019, 07:41:54 AM »

Guess what I found? State named I-78 shields! They're on overhead guide signs on US 22 west at PA 33.

PHLBOS

« Reply #1415 on: March 15, 2019, 09:03:46 AM »

Guess what I found? State named I-78 shields! They're on overhead guide signs on US 22 west at PA 33.
FYI, such was mentioned about two-and-a-half years ago in Reply #327 of the State-named interstate shields thread.  Every BGS that has an I-78 shield on it for that cloverleaf is a state-named I-shield.  I believe those BGS' date back to when I-78 and the PA 33 extension to such was built.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:33:01 PM by PHLBOS »
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadsguy

• Last Login: Today at 01:55:53 AM
« Reply #1416 on: March 15, 2019, 11:06:04 AM »

FYI, such was mentioned about two-and-a-half years ago in Reply #327 of the State-named interstate shields thread.  Every BGS that has an I-78 shield on it for that cloverleaf is a state-named I-shield.  I believe those BGS' date back to when I-78 and the PA 33 extension to such was built.

The PA 33 extension was built in the early 2000s (opening 2002), just over a decade later than the southerly I-78 bypass. You can tell because the original signage on I-78 was button copy (I think there are some surviving examples, but they're disappearing), but the PA 33 signage is modern retroreflective signage. Presumably all the signage at the US 22/PA 33 cloverleaf was replaced when the PA 33 extension was built, so these state-name shields are relatively new.
[thing you don't like] is better than [thing you like]

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 25, 2019, 08:55:04 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #1417 on: March 15, 2019, 03:28:09 PM »

So you're saying I just never noticed them... or more likely am getting senile.

PHLBOS

« Reply #1418 on: March 18, 2019, 09:14:14 AM »

or more likely am getting senile.
Welcome to the... club.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 12:01:55 AM
« Reply #1419 on: March 18, 2019, 09:27:21 AM »

The PA 33 extension was built in the early 2000s (opening 2002), just over a decade later than the southerly I-78 bypass. You can tell because the original signage on I-78 was button copy (I think there are some surviving examples, but they're disappearing), but the PA 33 signage is modern retroreflective signage. Presumably all the signage at the US 22/PA 33 cloverleaf was replaced when the PA 33 extension was built, so these state-name shields are relatively new.
  The original signs on the Lehigh Valley Thruway were ground mount using 2 x6 wooden posts.  Only the PA 309 and Airport Road interchanges had modern freeway signs there only because both clover leafs were redone in the late 70's.  However, the signs that were there in 1990 were carbon copies as originally the signs used texts for the PA routes and in the 80's were made to typical shields.  Although, when PennDOT did truncate both PA 191 and PA 512, they did so before the later signs and again carbon copies showing no direction of north for either two even with the later shield signs.

Even the clover leaf at MacArthur in Fullerton was ground mounted and further west at Hamburg PA 61 had no overheads there and used substandard signs on the ground.  So yeah for sure those at PA 33 if they are modern for all ramps they had to be contracted into the PA 33 extension construction my best guess is.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

« Reply #1420 on: March 18, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »

The original signs on the Lehigh Valley Thruway were ground mount using 2 x6 wooden posts.  Only the PA 309 and Airport Road interchanges had modern freeway signs there only because both clover leafs were redone in the late 70's.  However, the signs that were there in 1990 were carbon copies as originally the signs used texts for the PA routes and in the 80's were made to typical shields.
Are you telling me that these BGS' are 1990s vintage? I don't think so.  IIRC, PennDOT stopped using green-porcelain sign boards after the late 70s (maybe very early 80s). 
This GSV is from July 2015 and the signs were replaced with the current ones roughly a year later.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

• Last Login: March 25, 2019, 08:23:48 PM
« Reply #1421 on: March 18, 2019, 06:15:57 PM »

Was on the western part of the Schuylkill Expwy this weekend, west of the Conshohocken curve and near the Blue Route, and noticed that PennDOT is installing variable speed limit signs there. Actually saw a work crew out there doing an install near the Blue Route interchange. Are these being put in for the entire length of the road, or just by the Curve and into the Valley Forge interchange? I know that whole area of the "Surekill" is generally a parking lot, and was wondering what the plan was there.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: March 25, 2019, 08:50:25 PM
« Reply #1422 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:23 PM »

Was on the western part of the Schuylkill Expwy this weekend, west of the Conshohocken curve and near the Blue Route, and noticed that PennDOT is installing variable speed limit signs there. Actually saw a work crew out there doing an install near the Blue Route interchange. Are these being put in for the entire length of the road, or just by the Curve and into the Valley Forge interchange? I know that whole area of the "Surekill" is generally a parking lot, and was wondering what the plan was there.

The signs are going up from the Turnpike to Roosevelt Blvd.  They are also installing warning signs around the Curve to alert motorists of stopped traffic, and might be adding ramp meters and lane control signals to permit easier merging around 202 and 476.

http://transform76.com/

Tonytone

• LawnCare Website
Pennsylvania
« Reply #1423 on: March 19, 2019, 02:34:58 PM »

The signs are going up from the Turnpike to Roosevelt Blvd.  They are also installing warning signs around the Curve to alert motorists of stopped traffic, and might be adding ramp meters and lane control signals to permit easier merging around 202 and 476.

Yayyyyy, more ramp meters. We all know how excellent they work on I-476!!! Now this road will be flowing nicely. Great job Penndot. They should put ramp meters on all the philly streets aswell, Red or green, traffic is promised to flow better at Broad & Walnut if they do that!

iPhone

jeffandnicole

« Reply #1424 on: March 19, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »

Yayyyyy, more ramp meters. We all know how excellent they work on I-476!!! Now this road will be flowing nicely. Great job Penndot. They should put ramp meters on all the philly streets aswell, Red or green, traffic is promised to flow better at Broad & Walnut if they do that!

iPhone

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there?   LOL

For the amount of traffic already on the highway, I do agree though.  Ramp meters can bottleneck up traffic prior to it getting on the highway allowing for the highway to keep moving, but for the amount of traffic already on 76 coming from Center City or King of Prussia and the miles of congestion that already exists, the ramp meters aren't going to have much effect on reducing congestion.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.