AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The next forum trivia night will take place on OCTOBER 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Eastern.

Author Topic: Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel  (Read 12920 times)

tolbs17

• Last Login: November 16, 2019, 07:39:59 PM
Re: Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2019, 01:25:27 AM »

IMO, the speed limit could easily be 60 mph for most of the stretch, a lot of parts even 65 mph. That would help a lot.

I'm fine with southbound since the bridge is bigger. But northbound, is more scary IMO. i wish it was widened.
I was referring to the surface sections of US-13 and US-113, not the bridge-tunnel.

I see now.

The bridge-tunnel southbound span could reasonably have 60 mph, but there's no way they would change it in regards to safety reasons. 55 mph is appropriate on the northbound span until they widen the shoulders.

Yeah I thought so.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 08:53:35 AM
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2019, 09:04:13 AM »

I moved sprjus4's posts and the ones below it to Fictional Highways.   -Mark

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=25420.0
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tolbs17

« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2019, 10:29:06 PM »

That's a terrible stretch in my opinion. One time I think there was a speeding truck driver that knocked over a car when driving on the bridge. I don't know when it was though. That's also another reason why I'm afraid of driving on that bridge.

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 08:53:35 AM
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2019, 07:10:34 AM »

That's a terrible stretch in my opinion. One time I think there was a speeding truck driver that knocked over a car when driving on the bridge. I don't know when it was though. That's also another reason why I'm afraid of driving on that bridge.

Is this the incident you are referring to?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tolbs17

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »

Yeah that. That's why this bridge needs a second bridge and tunnel badly.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 10:03:19 AM
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »

It already has 2 bridges... 2 lanes northbound and 2 lanes southbound. The tunnels are the only part thatís 2-lanes (one each way) and one of the tunnels is currently under construction to get another tube. Thereís only one tunnel remaining after this that will still only be one tube.

tolbs17

« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2019, 07:17:15 PM »

It already has 2 bridges... 2 lanes northbound and 2 lanes southbound. The tunnels are the only part thatís 2-lanes (one each way) and one of the tunnels is currently under construction to get another tube. Thereís only one tunnel remaining after this that will still only be one tube.

I didn't know that they were under construction already. Interesting. I guess they will demolish the bridges that shift to one tunnel.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.