AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: West Virginia  (Read 5410 times)

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 10:03:19 AM
Re: West Virginia
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2019, 10:54:49 PM »

What I said is that you introduce additional safety issues by instituting different speed limits for cars and trucks.
You should check out the thread regarding the proposed 65 mph truck speed limit. Someone there actually supports it.

froggie

• Last Login: November 15, 2019, 10:58:05 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2019, 11:00:05 PM »

I'm aware the American Truckers Association has been pushing a uniform 65 MPH truck limit heavily.  I also know there are other trucking associations opposed to it.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 09:21:00 AM
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2019, 08:27:48 AM »

I'm aware the American Truckers Association has been pushing a uniform 65 MPH truck limit heavily.  I also know there are other trucking associations opposed to it.

That would be the bane of travel on 70 mph Interstate highways that are common in the eastern part of the country.  Micro passing trucks that can't keep up with 70 mph are already a major hindrance on those highways.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

sprjus4

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2019, 11:04:28 AM »

That would be the bane of travel on 70 mph Interstate highways that are common in the eastern part of the country.  Micro passing trucks that can't keep up with 70 mph are already a major hindrance on those highways.
Itís even worse as you go out west with 75, 80, and 85 mph speed limits and you have trucks doing 60 - 65 mph passing for miles.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2019, 01:13:11 PM »

Itís even worse as you go out west with 75, 80, and 85 mph speed limits and you have trucks doing 60 - 65 mph passing for miles.

I experienced that on my trip last weekend to NW Indiana, where I-70 and I-65 are very busy rural Interstate highways, with a 70 mph limit for all vehicles.  Sometimes 5 miles or more where the trucks would not get out of the left lane or complete a pass, even though drivers in cars where flashing high beams at them.
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

sprjus4

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »

I experienced that on my trip last weekend to NW Indiana, where I-70 and I-65 are very busy rural Interstate highways, with a 70 mph limit for all vehicles.  Sometimes 5 miles or more where the trucks would not get out of the left lane or complete a pass, even though drivers in cars where flashing high beams at them.
I agree. A more local example, I-64 is a huge problem as well for slow traffic, trucks passing for miles, etc. between Richmond and Williamsburg. Thankfully it's getting smaller and smaller each widening project at a time.

I got stuck behind 2 trucks passing for over 10 miles a few weeks ago, both trucks doing about 64-65 mph in both lanes in a 70 mph zone. Very frustrating, especially when drivers behind the truck get reckless, accelerating quickly, slamming brakes, tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes, etc.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2019, 02:25:57 PM »

I agree. A more local example, I-64 is a huge problem as well for slow traffic, trucks passing for miles, etc. between Richmond and Williamsburg. Thankfully it's getting smaller and smaller each widening project at a time.
I got stuck behind 2 trucks passing for over 10 miles a few weeks ago, both trucks doing about 64-65 mph in both lanes in a 70 mph zone. Very frustrating, especially when drivers behind the truck get reckless, accelerating quickly, slamming brakes, tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes, etc.

Interesting, I hardly ever have that problem on I-64, and I was about to pull my hair out over the trucks on I-70 and I-64 between Dayton and NW Indiana.  Big difference in truck percentages for one thing, much higher on those sections of I-70 and I-65.  I got behind several of those clusters and gave them a continuous halogen high beam until they moved over (BTW daytime and when no other vehicles were affected by the high beams).

That is a misuse of headlights but I had had it by that point.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:28:34 PM by Beltway »

sprjus4

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2019, 02:33:04 PM »

Interesting, I hardly ever have that problem on I-64, and I was about to pull my hair out over the trucks on I-70 and I-64 between Dayton and NW Indiana.  Big difference in truck percentages for one thing, much higher on those sections of I-70 and I-65.
Must have been just a bad day then. I-64 is a major truck route especially for port-bound traffic (given Port of Virginia is the 3rd largest port on the East Coast and 4 major ports exist in Hampton Roads) but something like I-70 and I-64 would have long-distance truck traffic, and that can be especially heavy on routes like those.

I got behind several of those clusters and gave them a continuous halogen high beam until they moved over (BTW daytime and when no other vehicles were affected by the high beams).

To be fair, how much can they really see it? Also, was it a truck simply hogging the left lane, or riding alongside another a truck in the right lane? If it was just hogging the left lane for miles, I would've just said screw it and pass it on the right. I'm not fond of passing on the right, but I will do it if someone is blocking the left lane and the right lane is clear (IF the right lane is clear for a good distance, I'm not one of those drivers who will attempt to pass on the right then get stuck and expect to be let back in)

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »

Interesting, I hardly ever have that problem on I-64, and I was about to pull my hair out over the trucks on I-70 and I-64 between Dayton and NW Indiana.  Big difference in truck percentages for one thing, much higher on those sections of I-70 and I-65.
Must have been just a bad day then. I-64 is a major truck route especially for port-bound traffic (given Port of Virginia is the 3rd largest port on the East Coast and 4 major ports exist in Hampton Roads) but something like I-70 and I-64 would have long-distance truck traffic, and that can be especially heavy on routes like those.

Generally true but I-64 has rather light truck traffic compared to some of those Midwestern Interstate highways.  A lot of the port freight moves by railroad.

I got behind several of those clusters and gave them a continuous halogen high beam until they moved over (BTW daytime and when no other vehicles were affected by the high beams).
To be fair, how much can they really see it?

I positioned myself so that the light was directly into their mirrors, and I have the brightest high beams that are manufactured.

Also, was it a truck simply hogging the left lane, or riding alongside another a truck in the right lane? If it was just hogging the left lane for miles, I would've just said screw it and pass it on the right. I'm not fond of passing on the right, but I will do it if someone is blocking the left lane and the right lane is clear (IF the right lane is clear for a good distance, I'm not one of those drivers who will attempt to pass on the right then get stuck and expect to be let back in)

Trucks were traveling in both lanes and there was no way to pass between them, they were too close together.  I don't mind passing on the right if that lane is open.

sprjus4

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2019, 10:20:42 PM »

Generally true but I-64 has rather light truck traffic compared to some of those Midwestern Interstate highways.  A lot of the port freight moves by railroad.
Actually looking now, I-64 only has 6-8% heavy truck traffic. Never realized it was that low. Was expecting at least 15%.

One example that comes to mind is I-40 west of Memphis. Truck traffic is 58% of the total traffic. That stretch of I-40 is a very busy freight corridor.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2019, 10:33:18 PM »

Actually looking now, I-64 only has 6-8% heavy truck traffic. Never realized it was that low. Was expecting at least 15%.
One example that comes to mind is I-40 west of Memphis. Truck traffic is 58% of the total traffic. That stretch of I-40 is a very busy freight corridor.

Those highways I mentioned probably at least 30%. 

One monstrously busy truck route is I-80/94 in NW Indiana, 8 lanes but probably 120,000 AADT total and about 40,000 large trucks.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:18:52 AM by Beltway »

froggie

• Last Login: November 15, 2019, 10:58:05 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2019, 08:51:25 AM »

^ I think you mean I-80/94 along the Borman.  West of I-65 its AADT ranges from 160K-200K with large trucks ranging from 35K-45K.  Between I-65 and I-90/ITR it's around 100K AADT with 20K large trucks.  (2017 traffic data)

So overall call it a 20-25% truck percentage.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2019, 09:24:55 AM »

I think you mean I-80/94 along the Borman. 
Fixed it...

West of I-65 its AADT ranges from 160K-200K with large trucks ranging from 35K-45K.  Between I-65 and I-90/ITR it's around 100K AADT with 20K large trucks.  (2017 traffic data)
So overall call it a 20-25% truck percentage.
I go to Highland, which is near IN-912 Cline Avenue, and I am aware of the traffic differential at I-65.

I recalled that 40,000 figure from a past article.  Since a large truck is the size it is, that volume provides a very impressive almost continuous steam of trucks especially during daytime.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.