News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Counties between States

Started by roadman65, May 08, 2019, 08:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

And I am not talking about corner counties like Sussex in NJ that is bordered on the north and east by New York and the west and north by Pennsylvania.  I am talking about a county like Worcester in Maryland that has Virginia on the south side and Delaware on the north.

Yes the states the counties border on cannot touch either So the other side of MD at Hancock where WV and PA are on opposite sides of Washington County as both do touch each other.

What can anyone come up with?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Oklahoma panhandle.

Berkshire County, MA and Worcester County, MA.

Mohave County, AZ.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

7/8

Coos County, NH borders VT and ME. Westchester County, NY borders NJ and CT. New Castle County, NJ borders MD and NJ. Cimarron County, OK borders TX, NM, CO, and KS. Mohave County, AZ borders CA and UT. Boundary and Bounty Counties, ID border WA and MT. Erie County, PA borders OH and NY. Berkshire County, MA borders CT and VT. Rockingham County, NH borders MA and ME.

Edit: 1 beat me to a few of these :)

US 89

Idaho has three: Bonner and Boundary County (Washington-Montana) and Idaho County (Oregon-Montana).

signalman

Quote from: 7/8 on May 08, 2019, 08:08:39 PM
New Castle County, NJ borders MD and NJ.
I think you meant New Castle County, DE.  It also borders PA, but considering it borders both MD and NJ you may have omitted it on purpose.

TheHighwayMan3561

MN has St. Louis (Wisconsin/Ontario), although you cannot transit between the two by road within the county. Lake County qualifies if maritime boundaries are included.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 08, 2019, 09:17:01 PM
MN has St. Louis (Wisconsin/Ontario), although you cannot transit between the two by road within the county.
Why is St Louis county so big? I would divide it into two counties, with Duluth the seat of one and Hibbing or Virginia the seat of the other.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on May 08, 2019, 09:21:45 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 08, 2019, 09:17:01 PM
MN has St. Louis (Wisconsin/Ontario), although you cannot transit between the two by road within the county.
Why is St Louis county so big? I would divide it into two counties, with Duluth the seat of one and Hibbing or Virginia the seat of the other.

That has actually been discussed within recent years, with Duluth opposing a split and the Range cities being more in favor. (Dollars to donuts says the new county containing the Range cities would be called Iron or Taconite County)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on May 08, 2019, 08:05:28 PM
Oklahoma panhandle.

Which is three counties that fit the bill: Cimarron, Texas, and Beaver.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: thspfc on May 08, 2019, 09:21:45 PMWhy is St Louis county so big? I would divide it into two counties, with Duluth the seat of one and Hibbing or Virginia the seat of the other.

St. Louis County has been in its present shape since 1857.  Splits (generally Duluth in one of the new counties and the Iron Range communities in the other) have been considered, notably in 2007, but have not progressed owing to inertia and a reluctance to spend money duplicating administrative machinery in a new county.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wxfree

Hudspeth County, Texas is between Chihuahua and New Mexico.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

oscar

Quote from: wxfree on May 08, 2019, 10:09:46 PM

But Chihuahua and New Mexico are adjacent estados/states, sharing the international border west of Ciudad Juarez/El Paso.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

wxfree

Quote from: oscar on May 08, 2019, 10:17:42 PM
Quote from: wxfree on May 08, 2019, 10:09:46 PM

But Chichuahua and New Mexico are adjacent estados/states, sharing the international border west of Ciudad Juarez/El Paso.

I saw that, but somehow when examining the criteria one of the wires got crossed.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

1995hoo

Quote from: signalman on May 08, 2019, 10:22:27 PM
All 4 WV northern panhandle counties touch PA and OH.  The four easternmost eastern panhandle counties touch VA and MD.

If I'm not mistaken, a specified criterion was that the bordering states may not touch at all.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Frederick County, MD does qualify, as it touches both VA and PA, which do not border (US 15 follows the connection)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

signalman

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 08, 2019, 10:33:26 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a specified criterion was that the bordering states may not touch at all.
Heh.  So it does.  That's what I get for jumping the gun with what I thought were glaring examples.  Post deleted.

Road Hog

Pemiscot County, MO in the Bootheel touches Arkansas and Kentucky.

US 89

Hidalgo County, NM borders Arizona and Chihuahua, which do not otherwise touch. Yuma County, AZ does the same thing with California and Sonora.

golden eagle

Erie County, PA, touches Ohio to the west and New York to the east. Ohio and New York do not border each other.

Flint1979

Nothing with that small of a gap in Michigan.

csw

Quote from: Road Hog on May 24, 2019, 11:37:11 PM
Pemiscot County, MO in the Bootheel touches Arkansas and Kentucky.
Check that again, it's close, but doesn't quite make it to KY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.