News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: mrsman on September 02, 2020, 12:36:02 AM
I don't like using Trenton either.  My earlier comment recommends signing Newark as the SB control within the Bronx.  From the Bronx, Newark should be the prime control and Paterson as the second control.  This should be the case until 80/95 split.  At that point, Newark/Philadelphia would be Ok.
I just quickly scanned GSV along I-95 southbound along the CBE and found that the only listed control city, along with the GW Bridge listing, on those signs is Newark.  Whereabouts (and I know such is way OT w/respect to this thread region) are these signs along I-95 in NY that list Trenton?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Steve D

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 03, 2020, 09:51:24 PM
I don't like using Trenton either.  My earlier comment recommends signing Newark as the SB control within the Bronx.  From the Bronx, Newark should be the prime control and Paterson as the second control.  This should be the case until 80/95 split.  At that point, Newark/Philadelphia would be Ok.
I just quickly scanned GSV along I-95 southbound along the CBE and found that the only listed control city, along with the GW Bridge listing, on those signs is Newark.  Whereabouts (and I know such is way OT w/respect to this thread region) are these signs along I-95 in NY that list Trenton?

On the I-87 ramps that lead to I-95/CBE/GWB.  They don't appear in the latest GSV due to construction but are in some previous views from a couple of years ago.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Steve D on September 04, 2020, 09:07:03 AM

On the I-87 ramps that lead to I-95/CBE/GWB.  They don't appear in the latest GSV due to construction but are in some previous views from a couple of years ago.

FWIW, it looks like Trenton is also used on NY 895/Sheridan Blvd.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

mrsman

Quote from: jmacswimmer on September 04, 2020, 09:33:25 AM

Right.  The problem is the lack of consistency.  Any sign with room for a control city on I-95 SB in Manhattan or Bronx should put Newark, NJ as the control instead of Trenton.  If Newark is already there (as does exist on some signs in the East Bronx) then great.

The real problem is what happens as you cross the bridge.  That whole stretch from the GWB to 95/80 has few controls and the controls that are listed are the controls for 80 (Hackensack and Paterson).  Newark should be the primary control here and Hackensack should only be used on local lanes that push traffic to 80.  If there is room for two controls use both Newark and Paterson until the 95/80 split.

Then and only then can one begin to think about signing Philadelphia.  (which I agree should be on as many signs as possible from the 95/80 split to Exit 6).  At the 95/80 split there is enough room to replace the control as "Newark/Phila."

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8682709,-74.0037807,3a,75y,212.88h,92.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFRL0gCMhtByXI6f6Kzbocw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

bluecountry

Quote from: mrsman on September 04, 2020, 04:04:21 PM

Right.  The problem is the lack of consistency.  Any sign with room for a control city on I-95 SB in Manhattan or Bronx should put Newark, NJ as the control instead of Trenton.  If Newark is already there (as does exist on some signs in the East Bronx) then great.

The real problem is what happens as you cross the bridge.  That whole stretch from the GWB to 95/80 has few controls and the controls that are listed are the controls for 80 (Hackensack and Paterson).  Newark should be the primary control here and Hackensack should only be used on local lanes that push traffic to 80.  If there is room for two controls use both Newark and Paterson until the 95/80 split.

Then and only then can one begin to think about signing Philadelphia.  (which I agree should be on as many signs as possible from the 95/80 split to Exit 6).  At the 95/80 split there is enough room to replace the control as "Newark/Phila."

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8682709,-74.0037807,3a,75y,212.88h,92.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFRL0gCMhtByXI6f6Kzbocw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
You know what?
Just do Philly on 95 from the GWB.
They already do Albany skipping over Yonkers and White Plains; and New Haven also skipping over Yonkers/Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport.

famartin

Quote from: bluecountry on September 08, 2020, 12:14:27 PM
Quote from: mrsman on September 04, 2020, 04:04:21 PM

You know what?
Just do Philly on 95 from the GWB.
They already do Albany skipping over Yonkers and White Plains; and New Haven also skipping over Yonkers/Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport.

I mean, why wouldn't you? 95 NB is signed for NYC in Philly now... the reverse should be true. Newark is part of the NYC metro, it can be signed in addition to Philly (as NJDOT routinely signs another more local destination in concert with NYC on 80 EB).

MDOT SHA signs two cities on 95 pull thrus in Howard County... Washington/Richmond SB, Baltimore/New York NB. So plenty of precedent for multiples. Just need to use the right ones (Philly first before NYC, after Baltimore). Wilmington... eh, it's really part of Philly metro. It could be included north of Baltimore in addition to Philly.

cpzilliacus

WUSA-TV 9 (CBS): 36 truck crashes on Beltway's 'Big Curve' and crews can't figure out how to make it stop
Signs, citations, and warnings have failed to get truckers to slow down at the merge of the Beltway and the I-270 spur.

Most of the crashes have been on the Outer Loop of I-495 approaching the sharp left turn to merge with I-270Y (I-270 Spur) - Google Maps here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

famartin

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 15, 2020, 10:18:42 PM
WDVM-TV 9 (CBS): 36 truck crashes on Beltway's 'Big Curve' and crews can't figure out how to make it stop
Signs, citations, and warnings have failed to get truckers to slow down at the merge of the Beltway and the I-270 spur.

Most of the crashes have been on the Outer Loop of I-495 approaching the sharp left turn to merge with I-270Y (I-270 Spur) - Google Maps here.

While I realize why it is the way it is, I honestly wish we could completely redesign the entire Montgomery County segment. It's easily the most dangerous portion, and not just the big curve. All of it is far from ideal.

froggie

I don't recall this being as big of an issue in the past.  What changed?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: froggie on September 16, 2020, 08:40:24 AM

I believe it's the drop in traffic volume caused by COVID (which meant that traffic speeds increased).

Quote from: famartin on September 15, 2020, 11:11:49 PM
WDVM-TV 9 (CBS): 36 truck crashes on Beltway's 'Big Curve' and crews can't figure out how to make it stop

While I realize why it is the way it is, I honestly wish we could completely redesign the entire Montgomery County segment. It's easily the most dangerous portion, and not just the big curve. All of it is far from ideal.

Couldn't agree more - I've posted about this elsewhere, but it's amazing how different the Montgomery and PG County segments of the beltway are from each other. Feels like 2 entirely different highways.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

cpzilliacus

Highly unlikely to ever happen. 

I-495 between MD-97 (Exit 31, Georgia Avenue) and MD-355/I-270 (Exits 34 and 35) was mostly built on lands originally purchased as parkland under the federal Capper-Cramton Act and now owned by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (a state of Maryland agency, the bicounty park agency for Montgomery County and Prince George's County). This part of I-495 was planned and engineered before the USDOT Act was passed and signed into law, including in particular Section 4(f), which greatly restricts federal-aid transportation projects that use federal funding from being built on parkland.   

Note that while there was some parkland taken in vicinity of the junction of I-495 and I-270Y, it was not as much as it was with the section I mention above.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

famartin

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 16, 2020, 09:16:35 AM

I-495 between MD-97 (Exit 31, Georgia Avenue) and MD-355/I-270 (Exits 34 and 35) was mostly built on lands originally purchased as parkland under the federal Capper-Cramton Act and now owned by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (a state of Maryland agency, the bicounty park agency for Montgomery County and Prince George's County). This part of I-495 was planned and engineered before the USDOT Act was passed and signed into law, including in particular Section 4(f), which greatly restricts federal-aid transportation projects that use federal funding from being built on parkland.   

Note that while there was some parkland taken in vicinity of the junction of I-495 and I-270Y, it was not as much as it was with the section I mention above.

I think I implied it in my post, but you are telling me zero information I don't already know.

mrsman

Quote from: famartin on September 16, 2020, 09:32:35 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 16, 2020, 09:16:35 AM

I think I implied it in my post, but you are telling me zero information I don't already know.

Would section 4(f) prevent improvements to the existing highway?  It would be nice if the impacts from the curves on the portion west of Georgia could be dealt with.  I always hate traveling that section, especially coming from 270, as I have to make two right hand lane changes through all those curves in order to exit at Georgia, which is the closest exit to my house.

Perhaps these improvements can be made within the scope of the Express Lane project.

[If I am in North Bethesda, I often go past the direct ramps to 270 or 495 from Old Georgetown and Rockville Pike to take the OG ramps to 495 or make the u-turn at Alta Vista on Wisconsin Ave in order to enter the Beltway from the right side, but if I'm coming from further, I just grin and bear it with regard to the lane changes.]

1995hoo

WDVM-TV 9 (CBS) ....

Now those are call letters I had not seen nor heard nor thought of for many, many years.

I agree with you, it seems to be a bigger problem lately. I suspect that as to 2020 in particular it's a combination of a year with considerably more wet weather than usual (as of the end of August, Reagan Airport had received 35.85" of precipitation this year, compared to the average 26.4" through that point in the year), a lot less traffic than usual, and people driving a lot faster.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

^

Perhaps the only segment of the Beltway that truly warrants a 55 mph speed limit, no excuse anywhere else.

famartin

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 16, 2020, 12:44:13 PM
WDVM-TV 9 (CBS) ....

Now those are call letters I had not seen nor heard nor thought of for many, many years.

I agree with you, it seems to be a bigger problem lately. I suspect that as to 2020 in particular it's a combination of a year with considerably more wet weather than usual (as of the end of August, Reagan Airport had received 35.85" of precipitation this year, compared to the average 26.4" through that point in the year), a lot less traffic than usual, and people driving a lot faster.

As another posted, the decrease in traffic due to COVID is the likely cause, resulting in higher average speeds overall. Most fed offices remain on TW so a lot of people are still staying home when they're working.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mrsman on September 16, 2020, 10:08:59 AM
Would section 4(f) prevent improvements to the existing highway?  It would be nice if the impacts from the curves on the portion west of Georgia could be dealt with.  I always hate traveling that section, especially coming from 270, as I have to make two right hand lane changes through all those curves in order to exit at Georgia, which is the closest exit to my house.

The deal that Maryland committed to with the federal government when it widened I-495 from MD-97 to the American Legion Bridge to make it 8 lanes total in the 1980's was that it would not be further widened.  I am not sure that they took any land for that - it was widened mostly by removing the median.  If it was to be widened further (outward), then Section 4(f) (and the Capper-Cramton Act) would apply.

Perhaps these improvements can be made within the scope of the Express Lane project.

The current P3 project has dropped the section between MD-355 and I-95 due to objections from NIMBYs and the federal government.

[If I am in North Bethesda, I often go past the direct ramps to 270 or 495 from Old Georgetown and Rockville Pike to take the OG ramps to 495 or make the u-turn at Alta Vista on Wisconsin Ave in order to enter the Beltway from the right side, but if I'm coming from further, I just grin and bear it with regard to the lane changes.]

It can be hard to get over to the right there - years ago I lived off of U.S. 29 (one exit east beyond MD-97), and it was sometimes difficult to get to the right lane.

jeffandnicole

It would be important to know when the crashes are happening. If they're rolling over at 8am, working from home is an excuse.  At 2am, it's not.

I happened to be passing by one of these crashes one rainy night, and rainy weather this year is suspicion for many of these crashes.

A good analysis by someone who actually cares can help reveal the times and the weather that was occurring at the time.

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 16, 2020, 06:51:11 PM
It would be important to know when the crashes are happening. If they're rolling over at 8am, working from home is an excuse.  At 2am, it's not.

I happened to be passing by one of these crashes one rainy night, and rainy weather this year is suspicion for many of these crashes.

A good analysis by someone who actually cares can help reveal the times and the weather that was occurring at the time.

It's hard to buy the rain excuse when 2018 was far wetter.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 16, 2020, 12:44:13 PM
WDVM-TV 9 (CBS) ....

I suppose I could have written WTOP-TV 9 instead!

Corrected. 

epzik8

Back in June, the State Highway Administration removed the sign for MD 132 and US 40 on APG Road at the turn just before the traffic signal. On Sunday of last week, I was walking toward the pedestrian bridge over the Northeast Region and saw it lying on the ground behind the bus shelter:
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

famartin

Quote from: epzik8 on September 29, 2020, 08:42:26 PM
Back in June, the State Highway Administration removed the sign for MD 132 and US 40 on APG Road at the turn just before the traffic signal. On Sunday of last week, I was walking toward the pedestrian bridge over the Northeast Region and saw it lying on the ground behind the bus shelter:

Did they remove it, or was it knocked down accidentally?

Alps

Back in June, the State Highway Administration removed the sign for MD 132 and US 40 on APG Road at the turn just before the traffic signal. On Sunday of last week, I was walking toward the pedestrian bridge over the Northeast Region and saw it lying on the ground behind the bus shelter and now it is on my wall

dlsterner

So is it now yours?   :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.