AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Maryland  (Read 62746 times)

mrsman

• Last Login: April 13, 2021, 10:14:17 AM
Re: Maryland
« Reply #2025 on: March 30, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »

For those who take an interest in the realignment of intersections, this may be interesting.

Here is a map of the North Bethesda / South Rockville area, centered around Old Georgetown and Executive. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0505459,-77.118678,15.94z

In the old days, Old Georgetown (OG) was one street, the yellow street leading to the southwest went into a straight line to meet Rockville Pike just north of Montrose.  Over time, Old Georgetown was rerouted to the due east to meet Rockville Pike and the old continuation was truncated from the rest.  This was at one-time known as old Old Georgetown, then Hoya Drive (named after Georgetown University's sports team nickname), then Towne road.   At the same time, the main OG, despite its curve, intersected with another curvy street, Executive Blvd, at a near 90 degree angle.

As some of the nearby shopping centers are getting redeveloped, a street grid is being formed.  One very interesting project in the works right now is to reconnect OG with Towne, and connecting the western part of Executive with the eastern section of OG.  The intersection will be closing for a few months while all of this is being worked out. 

here is a tweet from Montgomery County DOT about it.  I find the planned reorientation of the grid here to be quite interesting and will probably be helpful to some of the areas' traffic.

ixnay

• Last Login: April 13, 2021, 08:11:56 PM
« Reply #2026 on: March 30, 2021, 09:31:28 PM »

(Nice Bridge was/is already planned to be converted to AET as part of the replacement project.)

Speaking of the Nice Bridge, how close is it to being shovel ready?

ixnay

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: Today at 07:59:55 AM
« Reply #2027 on: March 30, 2021, 10:50:13 PM »

I worked on Exective from 1985-1991, in the office condos on the inside of the bend where executive became East Jefferson

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: April 13, 2021, 11:37:06 AM
« Reply #2028 on: March 31, 2021, 02:06:34 AM »

(Nice Bridge was/is already planned to be converted to AET as part of the replacement project.)

Speaking of the Nice Bridge, how close is it to being shovel ready?

ixnay

The replacement span is under construction.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mrsman

• Last Login: April 13, 2021, 10:14:17 AM
« Reply #2029 on: March 31, 2021, 12:51:01 PM »

Here is some more on North Bethesda, referring to my post from yesterday.

Executive between OG and Marinelli will eventually be removed and a new grid will be in place.  The final plans are to look like this:

https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/whiteflint/Resources/Files/pAERIAL_WFWest%20(reduced).pdf

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: Today at 01:20:04 AM
« Reply #2030 on: April 04, 2021, 03:21:37 PM »

Not sure if these are new developments, but I used MD 32 a week ago. Some stuff I noticed:

-There is now an exit 22 for Linden Church Road. I believe this replaces an intersection that only used flashers.
-There is an interchange for Burntwoods Road, but it lacks an exit number. This is the next interchange northward, but 4-laning/limited access control hasn't reached this far north yet.
-Lots of earth being moved between MD 144 and Burntwoods Road. No pavement, but I think a significant amount of landscaping is done.

I also wonder if there's plans to fix the I-95 interchange, given there's a left exit and left merge onto I-95 NB.
Doing things that nobody wants to do since 2004.
I was THE youngest forum member from May 14th, 2015 to September 25th, 2016.

I am the second Alex, since I currently use my father's name...

froggie

• Last Login: April 13, 2021, 10:44:35 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #2031 on: April 04, 2021, 05:55:08 PM »

The interchange at Burntwoods has existed for several years.

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: Today at 01:20:04 AM
« Reply #2032 on: April 04, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »

The interchange at Burntwoods has existed for several years.
Huh, then that raises even more questions, such as "why is it there?". It wouldn't be too hard to tie it into the 4-laning to the north (unless Maryland is actually only building one new carriageway, but the ROW seems too wide for that) but it seems premature.
Doing things that nobody wants to do since 2004.
I was THE youngest forum member from May 14th, 2015 to September 25th, 2016.

I am the second Alex, since I currently use my father's name...

froggie

• Last Login: April 13, 2021, 10:44:35 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #2033 on: April 04, 2021, 10:21:11 PM »

The "why" is because it was arguably the worst of the intersections along 32 between 108 and 70.  There has been a long-range plan for decades for improvements to 32...the Burntwoods interchange just happened to be the first one to pass financial muster...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.