AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Faster routes that bypass the freeway  (Read 1588 times)

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: Today at 11:17:21 AM
Re: Faster routes that bypass the freeway
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 08:01:07 PM »

In after US 212/I-90.
Florida route log | pre-1945
I will do my best to not make America hate again.
Global warming denial is barely worse than white privilege denial.

Road Hog

• Last Login: October 19, 2019, 05:57:06 PM
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 04:33:25 AM »

In North Dallas I take Preston Road instead of the Tollway to get to LBJ. One, itís free, but the better thing is itís not usually bumper to bumper and moves a little faster than the posted speed (45). You might get a little hung up on the lights in Plano but once you get south of the Bush the lights are synced green almost all the way to LBJ.

tradephoric

• Last Login: October 18, 2019, 02:00:10 PM
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 07:55:35 AM »

A lot of it has to do with the design of the traffic flow.  Compared to most states the control of surface traffic is pretty top notch, especially on MDOT roadways in Metro Detroit.  I really wish other states would adopt the Michigan Left since it can make a huge difference at major junctions. 

Detroit is near the bottom of the list for freeway lane miles per capita.    I have always felt that its low on this list because of the expansive boulevards running throughout the metro region.  They were originally known as "super-highways" and when constructed in the 1920s these massive 8-lane boulevards cut through corn fields 15 miles out from the city center.  At the time they really did look like roads to nowhere. 

thspfc

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:13 PM
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 08:25:10 AM »

In North Dallas I take Preston Road instead of the Tollway to get to LBJ. One, itís free, but the better thing is itís not usually bumper to bumper and moves a little faster than the posted speed (45). You might get a little hung up on the lights in Plano but once you get south of the Bush the lights are synced green almost all the way to LBJ.
I've never had any problems with the N Dallas Tollway, but maybe just because I hit it at the right time.

plain

• Last Login: October 19, 2019, 09:04:22 PM
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 11:42:51 AM »

A lot of it has to do with the design of the traffic flow.  Compared to most states the control of surface traffic is pretty top notch, especially on MDOT roadways in Metro Detroit.  I really wish other states would adopt the Michigan Left since it can make a huge difference at major junctions. 

Detroit is near the bottom of the list for freeway lane miles per capita.    I have always felt that its low on this list because of the expansive boulevards running throughout the metro region.  They were originally known as "super-highways" and when constructed in the 1920s these massive 8-lane boulevards cut through corn fields 15 miles out from the city center.  At the time they really did look like roads to nowhere. 

That's a very interesting list. Do they have a more recent one?
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman65

• Last Login: October 19, 2019, 10:29:53 PM
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 12:17:48 PM »

It probably was mentioned before, but US 46 and NJ 3 both bring traffic to Midtown New York faster than using I-80 to either I-95 S Bound or I-95 N Bound to NY 9A S Bound.

In Wayne, NJ the signage at Exit 53 states that US 46 to NJ 3 is  only for Clifton and the Lincoln Tunnel, but I-80 East to the GW Bridge is signed for NYC as if it is the suggested route to all of NYC.

One can argue NYC is way to ambiguous as its hard to pick a point where to send people, so being I-80 defaults into I-95 which does enter New York City after crossing the GWB, its probably that NJDOT said to keep all signs on the freeway.  Yet again, US 46 and NJ 3 together for the trip to the tunnel is freeway like as it has no stoplights and major intersections at grade as well.

Still not full freeway and the trip to Midtown is still faster via the non interstate here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrhappy1261

• Last Login: October 19, 2019, 12:35:39 PM
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2019, 10:59:12 PM »

In Northern Virginia US301 over I-95 if there's too much traffic on I-95.

roadman65

• Last Login: October 19, 2019, 10:29:53 PM
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2019, 10:35:11 PM »

What about US 19 north of Beckley, WV?  It is faster than staying on the interstate to reach I-79?  Just watch your speed in Summerville and you will be fine, but it is an expressway and WV usually builds them to near interstate grade so it is not only shorter but a good bypass to Charleston and the tolls.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 03:11:12 PM
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2019, 11:43:24 PM »

It would take a catastrophic incident on I-95.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

Road Hog

• Last Login: October 19, 2019, 05:57:06 PM
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 08:41:59 PM »

That explains why itís so easy to get around San Antonio. Driving there is no problem at all. (As long as you donít go too far north on 281; thatís a little bit of a choke point.)

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 05:47:12 PM
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »

For someone not using the HO/T lanes, it could easily be faster.

A better example could be US-50 / US-301 / DE-1 over I-95. Bypasses Baltimore, cheaper, and only slightly slower and if there's congestion on I-95, it ends up being faster without question. Only unreliable when congestion is existent near the Bay Bridge.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 03:11:12 PM
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »

For someone not using the HO/T lanes, it could easily be faster.

US-301 in Southern Maryland has its own serious traffic problems, and has at least 50 signals between the Potomac River and US-50, and has a $6.00 southbound toll at the Nice Bridge.

I tried it one Friday afternoon recently, in lieu of I-95 and the HOT lanes, and in lieu of dealing with the Capital Beltway, and it was horrendous, with at least eight 1/2 to 1 mile long or more "move an inch" backups mainly on the section between US-50 and La Plata, and based on the advancing ETA on my nav system, I experienced at least 60 minutes of delay, and there were no incidents or former incidents on the route, just peak period traffic.  The bridge itself wasn't a problem, nor was VA US-301 and VA-207 any real problem.

From E-ZPass log to give time of travel --
4/12/2019 6:31:55 PM   MdTA Potomac Bridge  -6.00

I'm not going to do that again outside of a reported catastrophe on I-95.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

mb2001

• Last Login: August 24, 2019, 07:23:23 PM
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »

Sometimes taking US 20 instead of the Pike in Western Mass is much faster. The Pike backs up relatively frequently, and 20 has speed limits of 50 mph (80 km/h) for large portions of its length.

Finrod

• Last Login: October 19, 2019, 01:24:22 AM
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2019, 01:03:28 AM »

When going from Lafayette, Indiana to Indianapolis, people often take US 52 down to Lebanon and pick up I-65 there rather than going out to I-65, the road built to bypass it.  I haven't timed it but US 52 is much straighter, is 4-lane divided, and has less traffic.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Revive 755

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:20 PM
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2019, 12:22:35 PM »

When going from Lafayette, Indiana to Indianapolis, people often take US 52 down to Lebanon and pick up I-65 there rather than going out to I-65, the road built to bypass it.  I haven't timed it but US 52 is much straighter, is 4-lane divided, and has less traffic.

Even if it's slower than I-65, US 52 is a much more pleasant drive until the Lafayette area.  The Lafayette area, with its numerous poorly, if not anti-coordinated stoplights, wipes out any time savings.

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 03:51:23 PM
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2019, 09:33:25 PM »

From Waterbury, CT to Albany, NY, it is easier to either take CT/MA 8 to US 20 or CT 8/CT 254/CT 118/US 202/CT 63/US 7/MA 41/MA 102/NYSRR 980D/NY 22 to get to I-90 than it is to backtrack on I-84 to Hartford, and take I-91 to West Springfield to catch it.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.