AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Unintentional road trips  (Read 313 times)

noelbotevera

• Now at a Redbox kiosk near you!

• Last Login: Today at 04:33:59 PM
Unintentional road trips
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:15:17 PM »

For the sake of interest, we'll define unintentional as two things.

1: A simple everyday task (say, going to the store) ends up turning into a trip. You did not plan in advance. Therefore, this excludes unplanned trips; i.e. you didn't have a trip planned but wanted to travel in your car.

2: A planned trip with a planned destination that ends up with you arriving at an unintended destination. Due to circumstances, you chose not to go to your planned destination but instead spend time (not necessarily the entire trip) -- eating, lodging, sightseeing, etc. -- at the "wrong" destination. FOR CLARITY: You can/did go where you wanted, but ended up somewhere and spent time you didn't mean/want to be.

Begin!

Some of mine, although they may not be spectacular:

Went to the movies once with my brother. Went home, except that it took over 2 hours to return and we ended up in Gettysburg. Didn't feel like taking the same roads home. (Example of definition 1)

I can't recall any road trips at the moment that totally meet definition 2. The best example I can think of was a West Virginia day trip turned into a 2 day trip. Ended up spending the night in Elkins (after spending the day at Seneca Rocks) since it was way too late to drive back home.

EDIT: clarified definition 2
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:27:28 AM by noelbotevera »
Doing things that nobody wants to do since 2004.
I was THE youngest forum member from May 14th, 2015 to September 25th, 2016.

I am the second Alex, since I currently use my father's name...

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 07:03:37 PM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Unintentional road trips
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:35:39 PM »

Back in 2011 a truck carrying cows south on I-17 crashed at Sunset Point while I was working Sedona.  I took the opportunity to get in a side trip that I always wanted since I high clearance vehicle to see old AZ 69 through Cordes and Bumble Bee. 

In 2013 I was getting set to put my two weeks in notice and move to Florida since I accepted another job.  I noticed that I had about three weeks of vacation and took a week off on the fly about three weeks before I was ready to quit.  I ended up leaving from a work trip in Kingman and saw six National Parks; Great Basin, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches, and Canyonlands.  I made some detour stops at Monument Valley, Dead Horse Point, and a couple additional National Monument.  The weather the first couple days was brutal  weather with the Great Basin day getting down to -14F at one point.  I had never been so glad I hung onto my snow shoes, I ended up having an absolute blast.

Last year for my Wife's birthday we were going to do something in downtown Portland but it ended up being sold out...don't exactly remember what it was.  Instead we used what daylight we had left to drive the Historic Columbia River Highway (Old US 30) and do a couple hikes. 

Roadrunner75

• Last Login: Today at 04:52:48 PM
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 11:36:39 PM »

#1 used to be an occasional occurrence for me.  I would intend to run some errands and end up somewhere (relatively) far away.  Around 20 years ago I got up one Saturday morning (Jersey shore area) and went out with the intention of going to the store or something and by late afternoon I found myself sitting on the beach in Narragansett, Rhode Island.  Then I simply turned around and headed home.  I spent a good amount of time on US 1 on the way up too.  Even stumbled upon what I'm sure is an old alignment of 1 in RI, now part of 1A:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3719318,-71.6699589,3a,80.1y,41.78h,91.84t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTKuWTT-HptJPctJM9adqzg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DTKuWTT-HptJPctJM9adqzg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D228.05225%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 06:40:27 PM
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 07:35:50 AM »

Iíve probably mentioned this somewhere. Back in 1990, my parents, brother, and I were on our way to New Hampshire for a family vacation in the White Mountains area. Dad got tired of driving and asked me to drive somewhere in Connecticut or Massachusetts; he and my mom dozed off. While they were asleep, my brother and I decided to take a side trip to Freeport to go to LL Bean (for you youngsters out there, back then there was only that one LL Bean store, and if you couldnít visit the store, you ordered from the catalog by phone or mail because there was no World Wide Web either). My father was surprised when he saw where we were when he woke up at the New Hampshire Turnpike toll plaza when I stopped to pay the toll (no E-ZPass then, either), but he didnít mind too much because he loved stopping at LL Bean.

We did head to the White Mountains afterwards.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
óOlaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"óKolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

• Last Login: Today at 06:02:15 PM
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 09:36:14 AM »

Iíve probably mentioned this somewhere.

Indeed, as recently as September, as revealed by a quick search for "LL Bean New Hampshire". :)
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 06:24:31 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »

A few years ago, I took off for what I planned to be only a day trip to Bluefield, Va., with the intention of finally getting photos of all the old and weird signs there. Late in the afternoon, it came a pounding rainstorm that messed up my plans. So I decided to spend the night, which I did in Wytheville, Va. I used the second day of the trip to do some exploring in southwestern Virginia.

doorknob60

• Last Login: Today at 03:26:31 PM
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 06:16:29 PM »

Didn't actually happen, but yesterday I had to return some cat food I got at Costco because my cat is a picky eater and wouldn't touch it, and was starving himself. Costco was out of the kind I usually buy when I went before which is why I picked up the other type. Costco did end up having the food I normally buy so it was a routine trip to the store, but if they were out, I would have called the Nampa store, and if they didn't have it, I was seriously considering that a trip to Twin Falls, Pocatello, Ogden, Bend, Clarkston, etc. were in the cards if necessary. It's Kirkland brand so other stores won't have it, and there's only 2 Costcos in the area (Boise and Nampa, soon to be a 3rd in Meridian).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.