News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Austin Area Projects Thread

Started by thisdj78, August 26, 2019, 12:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisdj78

I didn't see a thread on general Austin area discussions (if there is one, my apologies).

Recently Completed Projects:

SW45

Current Projects:

183/Bergstrom Express
I-35/183 new flyovers
SH130 widening and new flyovers at 290

Upcoming Projects:

Loop 360 grade separated intersections
New SH71 overpasses between SH130 and Bastrop
183 toll extension north

Future Potential Projects:

SW45 extension to I-35
I-35 expansion thru Austin

Let me know anything I missed.

dfwmapper

There are a few small projects going along I-35 in Williamson County.
Current:

• Replace Ronald Reagan Blvd bridge with two separate bridges that appear to be designed to function as frontage roads for a future overpass
  • Reverse ramps and convert frontage roads to one-way from FM 973 to CR 313
  • Replace CR 305 bridge

Upcoming:

• In Georgetown, convert Williams Dr. to a DDI, build bypasses, and build the missing NB frontage road from Williams Dr. to the N. Austin Ave. exit

Echostatic

There's plenty of smaller-scale improvements along I-35 in South Austin that have either just wrapped up or are a good ways into construction now. The Oltorf and Stassney bridges are being rebuilt, with (don't quote me) two lanes being added each way under Oltorf.

The St. Johns Ave bridge is also being rebuilt, but that's more tied into the US 183/I-35 ramp project.
Travelled in part or in full.

longhorn

What? SW45 does not connect to I-35? Thats why I did not see construction at the I35/45 interchange..........STUPID AUSTIN...........rant over.

Don't forget plans to rebuild I-35 and trench at downtown continuing rebuild  to 290 interchange. The Oltorf new bridge may be a part of this future effort.

Is the 183 north tollway being extended to 29 at Seward Junction?

As part of the Loop360 overpasses, are they going to expand it past four lanes? Never understood why the rich folks over there are content with the present Loop 360 parking lot.

Bobby5280

A somewhat short (about 3 miles) extension of the US-290 freeway on the West side of Austin, through the "Y" in Oak Hill has been in the works for a long time. The "Y" is the intersection with US-290 and TX-71. If built, the extension would run West just past the next "Y", the intersection with Circle Drive.

The intersection with US-290 and TX-71 is one of the most congested in Texas. The project would probably have already been well underway if not for the pull back on toll road efforts in Texas. Nevertheless the project is close to being fully funded and could start construction in the 2020-2022 time frame.

On US-290 East of Austin, the 30 mile section between Elgin and Giddings is going to be improved with a "gap" project. Currently that segment of US-290 is 4-lane, undivided. A new, second roadway will be built, separated by a grassy median. The first phase, an 8 mile section near McDade, is underway. Work should be finished by 2021. I think that work will pave the way for more improvements in the future, like new freeway style exits and maybe a freeway bypass around Giddings.

thisdj78

Quote from: longhorn on August 26, 2019, 09:36:04 AM
What? SW45 does not connect to I-35? Thats why I did not see construction at the I35/45 interchange..........STUPID AUSTIN...........rant over.

Don't forget plans to rebuild I-35 and trench at downtown continuing rebuild  to 290 interchange. The Oltorf new bridge may be a part of this future effort.

Is the 183 north tollway being extended to 29 at Seward Junction?

As part of the Loop360 overpasses, are they going to expand it past four lanes? Never understood why the rich folks over there are content with the present Loop 360 parking lot.

I believe "environmental reasons"  is what held back the SW Extension to 35.

And yes looks like the 183 extension will go just past 29.

Doesn't look like the 360 project will add a lane, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bridges are built to accommodate the addition of a lan later but all the renderings I've seen show it still at 4 lanes.

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 26, 2019, 10:49:32 AM

On US-290 East of Austin, the 30 mile section between Elgin and Giddings is going to be improved with a "gap" project. Currently that segment of US-290 is 4-lane, undivided. A new, second roadway will be built, separated by a grassy median. The first phase, an 8 mile section near McDade, is underway. Work should be finished by 2021. I think that work will pave the way for more improvements in the future, like new freeway style exits and maybe a freeway bypass around Giddings.

When you say gap project, does that mean they are building the road with a wide enough median "gap" to accommodate future main lanes in the middle?

Bobby5280

Quote from: thisdj78When you say gap project, does that mean they are building the road with a wide enough median "gap" to accommodate future main lanes in the middle?

Nothing I've seen about the project specifies the size of the median. Hopefully the expansion will increase the ROW width enough to make a freeway expansion possible in the future. Normally when TX DOT builds a divided road with a freeway size medium the whole ROW tends to be in the 400' width range. That's about 150' wider than the roughly 250' ROW of the existing divided sections of US-290, which features a 50' wide median. Building something to accommodate frontage roads eats a bunch more space. Not all freeways in Texas need to be built with frontage roads however.

Regarding a different road in the Austin area: I wonder if there are any grander plans for the TX-195 corridor between Georgetown and Killeen. The route is 4-lane divided expressway almost into Killeen. The road has a handful of limited access exits along the way. Visually on the map it looks like a natural Northern extension of TX-130.

thisdj78

Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 26, 2019, 03:09:26 PM
Quote from: thisdj78When you say gap project, does that mean they are building the road with a wide enough median "gap" to accommodate future main lanes in the middle?

Nothing I've seen about the project specifies the size of the median. Hopefully the expansion will increase the ROW width enough to make a freeway expansion possible in the future. Normally when TX DOT builds a divided road with a freeway size medium the whole ROW tends to be in the 400' width range. That's about 150' wider than the roughly 250' ROW of the existing divided sections of US-290, which features a 50' wide median. Building something to accommodate frontage roads eats a bunch more space. Not all freeways in Texas need to be built with frontage roads however.

Regarding a different road in the Austin area: I wonder if there are any grander plans for the TX-195 corridor between Georgetown and Killeen. The route is 4-lane divided expressway almost into Killeen. The road has a handful of limited access exits along the way. Visually on the map it looks like a natural Northern extension of TX-130.

Ah ok, so you're referring to the general median gap they are creating between east and west bound traffic.

I travel that stretch every month and noticed the clearing work being done. It's pretty dangerous at night with nothing to separate oncoming traffic...there's been several head on collision deaths in that area.

longhorn

195 needs interchanges at Shell road, Sun City, re engineer the Ronald Reagan interchange (put in real on and off ramps) and put in an interchange where they are about to put  in a light at Chaparral Road on the south side of Killeen (stop being cheap TxDot). City of Florence is about to blow up ( I feel sorry for the long time residences, they have no idea whats about to happen to them) and 195 vehicle counts will continue to rise quickly. Alot of people are realizing you can live cheaper in the near country than living in Austin. 195 does not need to be a toll but get rid of the lights.

longhorn

Quote from: dfwmapper on August 26, 2019, 04:14:15 AM
There are a few small projects going along I-35 in Williamson County.
Current:

• Replace Ronald Reagan Blvd bridge with two separate bridges that appear to be designed to function as frontage roads for a future overpass
  • Reverse ramps and convert frontage roads to one-way from FM 973 to CR 313
  • Replace CR 305 bridge

Upcoming:

• In Georgetown, convert Williams Dr. to a DDI, build bypasses, and build the missing NB frontage road from Williams Dr. to the N. Austin Ave. exit

Are you talking about this Ronald Reagan Bridge?

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.7746948,-97.6296481,961m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.7741912,-97.6266551,3a,75y,200.99h,106.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXddilgc9NywTO_IdUNwSCg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

If so, yes its too small and truckers would be eternally grateful to have a bridge designed for a tuning 50 ft trailers. Did not know a replacement was near future.

thisdj78

Quote from: longhorn on August 26, 2019, 04:19:53 PM

195 needs interchanges at Shell road, Sun City, re engineer the Ronald Reagan interchange (put in real on and off ramps) and put in an interchange where they are about to put  in a light at Chaparral Road on the south side of Killeen (stop being cheap TxDot). City of Florence is about to blow up ( I feel sorry for the long time residences, they have no idea whats about to happen to them) and 195 vehicle counts will continue to rise quickly. Alot of people are realizing you can live cheaper in the near country than living in Austin. 195 does not need to be a toll but get rid of the lights.

195 would need to bypass the southern part of Killeen as there isn't much ROW for overpass. It could use a direct connection to I-14, just would need to be re-routed.

dfwmapper

Quote from: longhorn on August 26, 2019, 04:23:17 PM
Are you talking about this Ronald Reagan Bridge?

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.7746948,-97.6296481,961m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.7741912,-97.6266551,3a,75y,200.99h,106.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXddilgc9NywTO_IdUNwSCg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

If so, yes its too small and truckers would be eternally grateful to have a bridge designed for a tuning 50 ft trailers. Did not know a replacement was near future.
Yes. Construction started in June, should last about 2 years.

thisdj78

dfwmapper

QuoteTucker Ferguson, TxDOT's Austin district engineer, said that the construction of the North and South projects before the Central project would give drivers alternatives during the construction of the Central project.
I feel sorry for Fucker Turduson both for having the worst parents in history and for being stuck with such thinly-veiled bullshit to pass off on the people of Austin. I don't even live in Austin but just from making a few trips down there a year I can tell that building the central segment last is going to be a disaster of epic proportions.

thisdj78

Quote from: dfwmapper on September 01, 2019, 03:38:58 AM
QuoteTucker Ferguson, TxDOT's Austin district engineer, said that the construction of the North and South projects before the Central project would give drivers alternatives during the construction of the Central project.
I feel sorry for Fucker Turduson both for having the worst parents in history and for being stuck with such thinly-veiled bullshit to pass off on the people of Austin. I don't even live in Austin but just from making a few trips down there a year I can tell that building the central segment last is going to be a disaster of epic proportions.

I didn't understand that part either. The only thing I can think of is that he meant people will have the Bergstrom Express as an alternative which will be complete when they start the North and South segments.

Echostatic

I think it's a better idea to build the North/South first. The projects will be smaller scope and the regional impact won't be as massive as Central. By doing Central last, the rest of the region's highway updates - or at least the ones under construction - should be completed, providing alternate routes and increasing capacity.

thisdj78

Quote from: Echostatic on September 01, 2019, 11:27:45 AM
I think it's a better idea to build the North/South first. The projects will be smaller scope and the regional impact won't be as massive as Central. By doing Central last, the rest of the region's highway updates - or at least the ones under construction - should be completed, providing alternate routes and increasing capacity.

They need to speed up the SW45 extension to I-35 before they start Central.

thisdj78

From the TxDOT 2014 revenue statement:

QuoteThe only toll road planned to be opened in the 2021 - 2030 period is the SH 45 SW Phase 2 Project between FM 1626 and IH-35, scheduled for completion in 2025. Major non-toll road projects include completing a new segment of Howard Lane between SH 45N and McNeil Road, the widening of US 79 between IH-35 and FM 635, and the upgrade and widening of SH 29, FM 973 and FM 971. Other roadways scheduled for improvements are Ronald Reagan Boulevard, Parmer Lane and Gattis School Road. These projects and the others noted in Table 2.6 and shown in Figure 2.3 were included in the regional highway network for 2030. Also shown in Table 2.6 is the relationship to the CTTS elements, based on judgment.

If that's still on track then it will in fact be complete before the I-35 Central segment (environmental studies won't be complete on it until 2023 at the latest)

Echostatic

I'm pretty sure the SH45 South project has been put on hold indefinitely. But the I-35 reconstruction being accelerated will probably force CTRMA's hand with 45. Environmentalists won't be happy, but it's not directly over the recharge zone like SH45 Southwest was.

dfwmapper

I'm just thinking of the crush that's going to hit every morning for traffic headed in to downtown and UT at the points where that extra capacity ends. Getting more vehicles into the central area won't help if there's not enough capacity to get them through there. 183 sort of works as an alternate for those not going to UT or downtown, but it's either got tolls or stoplights, so that limits its usefulness.

thisdj78

Quote from: dfwmapper on September 02, 2019, 04:20:04 AM
I'm just thinking of the crush that's going to hit every morning for traffic headed in to downtown and UT at the points where that extra capacity ends. Getting more vehicles into the central area won't help if there's not enough capacity to get them through there. 183 sort of works as an alternate for those not going to UT or downtown, but it's either got tolls or stoplights, so that limits its usefulness.

The 183/Bergstrom toll should be finished by the time they start construction of the Central segment. I'd venture to guess that a small number of traffic on 35 is actually going downtown or to UT. I think a lot of the traffic is passing through the city or commuting to points north or south of the central business district. A good indication of this is that there is a bottleneck downtown even on weekends.

dfwmapper

The toll toad will be done, as will the I-35 S to US 183 S and US 183 N to I-35 N flyovers, but it's still going to be a $3-4 toll each way, and that will limit the number of cars willing to use that as an alternate. The frontage roads will still be free, but with multiple stoplights.

There's still a lot happening near downtown and UT on the weekends, like all the bars and restaurants on 6th Street and Cesar Chavez, various shows at the convention center, general recreation at the lake and adjacent parks, and UT sports.

yakra

Quote from: thisdj78 on August 26, 2019, 12:34:33 AM
Upcoming Projects:

Loop 360 grade separated intersections
New SH71 overpasses between SH130 and Bastrop
183 toll extension north
Do we have projected completion dates for these?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

thisdj78

Looks like the new lanes on SH130 north of 290 are close to opening:

https://imgshare.io/image/jWPl9

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.