News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nuts

Started by MNHighwayMan, September 26, 2019, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Anyone else here love nuts? Peanuts, cashews, pecans, walnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, and so on.

I love a good can of mixed nuts, but I hate almonds, and most brands of mixed nuts contain almonds, so at the end I'm always left over with a can of almonds that I end up having to throw out (or sometimes I give them to someone who will eat them.)

ozarkman417

They make a good snack to munch on in class, if half the class isn't allergic to them...

One of my friends who is allergic to peanut butter ate a Recce's peanut butter cup and he said it was worth needing an EpiPen.

hotdogPi

I like most. I don't like walnuts, although I will eat them if mixed with other things.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

index

Due to a wonderful condition I have known as oral allergy syndrome (I am allergic to nearly all fresh fruits and vegetables, if they're boiled or cooked or processed in some way, then it breaks down the compounds that cause the reaction in the first place, which are similar to pollen, so for example I can eat things like apple pie but not fresh apples) pretty much all of these besides peanuts and pecans are off limits to me unless I want to cook them first. And I don't really like eating them anyway, outside of pecan pie and maybe peanut butter if I feel like it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

webny99

Random thread. Assuming it's supposed to be humorous.. we will see where it goes..   :coffee:

Not a huge fan of regular peanuts, but honey roasted peanuts are good.

I can't understand the love for peanut butter. It's OK, but among all foods, it probably has one of the least desirable textures.

I don't mind almonds, but I absolutely love almond flavoring; it's the best!

Pecans are good.. especially in pecan pie!

On a semi-related note, Butterfinger's have gotten much worse since they tried to resurrect them from "fake" back to "real". They were much better before, regardless of what non-peanut goodness they were filled with!

I do know some people that are terribly allergic to peanuts though.. bad enough where, no exaggeration, being in the same room as peanuts will immediately hospitalize them. Which sounds funny, but it's actually kind of scary. You have to be pretty careful!

Finally, if you want an amazing snack with a high nut to what ratio (laughing at the term I just made up), look no further!

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on September 26, 2019, 09:20:01 AM
Random thread. Assuming it's supposed to be humorous.. we will see where it goes..   :coffee:

I started this thread because I bought a small can of mixed nuts for my break at work this morning (at 2 AM) and now, as of 7:56 AM, it's down to just the almonds. I was curious how others felt about nuts.

Also, personally, I love peanut butter. But I get the texture thing. There are some foods I won't eat because of texture issues too. Watermelon is one of those for me.

formulanone

I always carry around a tin of lightly-salted almonds in my travels: loaded with protein and fiber, but not too high on carbohydrates. They have a good deal of fat, though. I've always liked peanuts, cashews, and pistachios. Usually, they're a little high in salt, and I've avoided honey-roasted peanuts because they have a lot of sugar, so I've cut back over the years. But I'll spoil myself once in a while.

I can tolerate pecans and walnuts in small doses, but I'm not a big fan. To me, they don't seem to have much of a flavor (except in a pie) and have a "waxy" texture.

I don't like boiled peanuts (wet, flavorless, messy, and more work) and no, I don't like throwing dried peanuts in a Coke.

MNHighwayMan

I don't mind honey-roasted (or other flavored) peanuts, but the plain salted peanut is still my preference.

Boiled peanuts is a thing I don't think I've ever had. Seems kinda weird to me, as does the peanuts in a Coke thing. I've heard of it but never tried it.

1995hoo

Usually if I eat nuts, I eat lightly salted peanuts. I do use other types for recipes–for example, I have a trout recipe that calls for topping the fish with almonds sautéed in butter. Good stuff.

Then there's this one that I make sometimes as an appetizer if we're having people over for dinner. This has some heat to it, but it sneaks up on you:
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sugar-and-spice-nuts
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Love cashews, but they're really fattening.  I like peanuts, too.  I have warmed up to almonds and even pecans, but they're not my favorite.

I am allergic to some sort of nuts found in fancier mixes.  Not hazelnuts, since I'm fine with Nutella. :D

Walnuts are just clumps of sawdust, though.  Hate them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

I prefer almonds and some honey roasted peanuts.  Cashews are good too.  And also

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

My current favorite are mesquite-smoked almonds.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Peanuts aren't really nuts. They're legumes.

So although I like dry-roasted peanuts (salted, not honey roasted, and definitely not unsalted), I don't like any nuts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

CASHEWS!!!!!!!!   Even as a kid, they were my favorite nut.  I remember how I would go through the mixed nuts my parents would put out at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and other special occasions, and pull out the cashews.

I've also recently developed a taste for roasted almonds as well.  And of course, I enjoy peanuts - both plain and honey roasted.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

dlsterner

I normally keep a few bins of nuts on my desk for snacking throughout the day.  Usually one of them is roasted almonds.  The others vary depending on my mood - mixed nuts, cashews, peanuts (yeah I know they aren't really "nuts"), or trail mix.  The thing with pre-packaged mixed nuts, however, is that I don't care for brazil nuts nor hazelnuts, so I end up tossing them.  Sometimes I will make a custom mix of almonds, cashews, pecans, peanuts, sesame sticks, and corn nuts.  I do this by buying custom size bags of them at the supermarket's bulk food area.

OracleUsr

Cashews, almonds, pecans, peanuts, pistachios, heck even brazil nuts.  A pack of flavored cashews (spicy BBq, dill pickle, jalapeno) sometimes is a favorite morning snack of mine.

Don't like filberts, though hazlenut flavoring is decent sometimes.  Also, not a big walnut fan, but if they're there I'll even eat those
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Throckmorton

I enjoy pretty much every item already mentioned.   

Years ago an acquaintance from Georgia gave me a couple of cans of boiled peanuts. I'd never heard of such a thing but I guess they are common in the South. Goober peas, you know.

I thought it would just be the seeds and I was surprised to find the shells and even the roots floating around in the brine. It was actually kind of a disgusting mess.   

I didn't know how to fix them but I was told to just heat them in a pan and pick out the edible parts. They were good but more trouble than they were worth.   

Proceed with caution

In_Correct

I like every Nut, including Almonds. But some times I do not feel like shelling Nuts.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Scott5114

I bring two ounces of roasted salted peanuts to work each day to eat on my first break (before lunch). I like almonds too, but they are so much more expensive than peanuts ($7/lb!) that I can't justify the expense.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

This thread is nuts, literally :sombrero:.

I like nuts. Now there are walnuts always at home, and I eat several every day, even though they aren't really nuts but the edible seed of a drupe. Peanuts also disappear rapidly when avalaible, even though as noted above they are legumes. Hazelnuts, chestnuts and acorns are true nuts. Soon it will be chestnut season, and there are a couple chestnut vendors in my hometown every year.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MNHighwayMan

When I started this thread, I forgot all about pistachios. They're another nut I don't like. They don't even look appetizing.

thspfc

Salted and sugared peanuts  :popcorn:

Brian556

Peanuts taste ok but they make my stomach hurt. Dunno why. Hate almonds, cashews . Hate nuts mixed into foods/dishes, or as ice cream topping

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.