AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Northern Illinois Arterials After the New Capital Bill  (Read 603 times)

• Last Login: Today at 09:29:54 AM

edwaleni

• Last Login: October 15, 2019, 12:58:41 PM
Re: Northern Illinois Arterials After the New Capital Bill
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 08:59:22 AM »

While we still dont know what is going to be in it after several moths there are hints and here they are
https://www.pjstar.com/news/20190908/fulton-county-leaders-say-route-24-expansion-will-help-community

Route 24 is more attainable than 336
https://www.pontiacdailyleader.com/news/20190905/route-24-one-step-closer-to-four-lane-highway

https://www.sj-r.com/news/20190403/illinois-125-improvements-get-under-way-with-tree-removal
this is ongoing next to a section that is reported to be 4 laned

What of 20?
https://www.journalstandard.com/news/20180203/safety-upgrades-sought-for-us-20-west-of-freeport

The End of Route 30
https://www.saukvalley.com/2017/03/11/u-s-route-30-expansion-plans-near-morrison-halted/a32ll91/

Illinois 29 and US 34?

This is a good summary of the local press related to the new road money.

The story about Morrison and US30 is interesting.

IDOT shows the route traffic declining. Some residents "like" the traffic coming through town because it brings business through. This was an argument in Lebanon as well on the US 50 bypass.

People don't like the reduction in safety that large trucks traversing their downtowns cause, but they don't want to lose the business they bring.

I have been reading some materials about how the decline of the American industrial base is changing highway traffic patterns. That routes considered "long term" post WWII are no longer valid. Even ones thought to be strategic as late as the 1970's before the oil shock threw highway planning to the wind.

Also some states are funding bypasses to shed secondary routes through some towns and turning them over to county highway authorities and get them off their books. Indiana has been "dumping"  several through town highways once their bypasses were done.

That decision to route funding to US-24 southwest of Peoria to Banner is a direct counter to the priorities set to fund IL-336 via Farmington and then south to the west of Canton to meet up with the future Macomb Bypass and US-67. That exit on I-474 was built for that purpose.

But if IDOT turns US-24 into a freeway to Banner, then why build the Farmington route?  I would simply take it the rest of the way to Macomb with a routing south of Canton. IDOT probably can't afford both.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:30:16 PM »

I have studied the changes in manufacturing too. There is a good discussion of the waves of change in Chicago in the history of the Crosstown. Now there are only 60000 in the city with them percent of more at the Ford plant. In summary that save was from old multi story buildings to the suburbs and sunbelt. Most studies show trade with China was the only time trade did give us a huge hit mostly in clothing and electronics . Two extremes of the tech spectrum. The Midwest hit was less than Texas and CalIfornia. The Economic Policy institute has a good series on US China trade.Also mergers and continuing automation are a big factor.

There have been some articles especially Bloomberg getting at the real issue in the GM strike. With the switch batteries a lot less jobs and a much less complex supply chain.

I think Fulton county made a deal and this should end 336 . Just a guess

There has been a real turn against by passes in small towns. Perhaps the long fight over the Roseville bypass and after it it became clear that the town was wiped out.
If IDOT  was smart it would do what Iowa did on the rest of US 30.

Joe The Dragon

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 08:20:14 PM

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 07:18:00 PM »

There was supposed to financial study ...in 2014. It's inn the website. Sweeny wrote about that too. He was about the only reported who covered it and he died.
I thought about FOIA to see if there is any corridor protection.

Things may slow because of the investigation. WGN radio had a story that they can't find any state senators willing to talk about it.

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 09:35:47 PM
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 07:47:29 PM »

There was supposed to financial study ...in 2014. It's inn the website. Sweeny wrote about that too. He was about the only reported who covered it and he died.
I thought about FOIA to see if there is any corridor protection.

Things may slow because of the investigation. WGN radio had a story that they can't find any state senators willing to talk about it.

Omerta.  Nobody wants to say nothing to nobody, else they might get put on the federal bus.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

Screw the KSA; Stand with Canada.

edwaleni

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 09:56:19 PM »

I have studied the changes in manufacturing too. There is a good discussion of the waves of change in Chicago in the history of the Crosstown. Now there are only 60000 in the city with them percent of more at the Ford plant. In summary that save was from old multi story buildings to the suburbs and sunbelt. Most studies show trade with China was the only time trade did give us a huge hit mostly in clothing and electronics . Two extremes of the tech spectrum. The Midwest hit was less than Texas and CalIfornia. The Economic Policy institute has a good series on US China trade.Also mergers and continuing automation are a big factor.

There have been some articles especially Bloomberg getting at the real issue in the GM strike. With the switch batteries a lot less jobs and a much less complex supply chain.

I think Fulton county made a deal and this should end 336 . Just a guess

There has been a real turn against by passes in small towns. Perhaps the long fight over the Roseville bypass and after it it became clear that the town was wiped out.
If IDOT  was smart it would do what Iowa did on the rest of US 30.

The rep for Spoon River Development said they were pushing IDOT for "both" IL-336 and US-24 expansion.

Knowing IDOT, they took the biggest bang for the buck approach.

IL-336 is a full land acquisition, design and build project.

I am surmising that IDOT owns most of the needed ROW along US-24. And if I go by appearances, IL-9 from Banner to Canton is in way better shape than US-24 south of Banner.

While I don't have the AADT for Canton to Kingston Mines, I can guess that a lot of people drive from Canton to work at the Cat plant on 24.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 10:25:20 AM »

IDOT  has the land for 24.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »

She said she wanted both but 24 was more attainable which makes me think some sort of choice was made.?

edwaleni

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »

She said she wanted both but 24 was more attainable which makes me think some sort of choice was made.?

Attainable because IDOT already has most of the land for 24.

For IL-336, they don't.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 11:18:00 PM »

They did have corridor protection but there is a drop off off traffic to hear zero after Banner on 24 and 9 and 116. The cost was high on 336. They could add passing lanes on all those routes and benefit a lot more communities than just 336.

edwaleni

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 08:47:06 PM »

They did have corridor protection but there is a drop off off traffic to hear zero after Banner on 24 and 9 and 116. The cost was high on 336. They could add passing lanes on all those routes and benefit a lot more communities than just 336.

US-24 got all new pavement in the summer of 2018 from IL-9 all the way to IL-78. Not sure which year you are looking at, but it might explain the near zero traffic south of Banner.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.