AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Movable, toll ‘zipper’ lane planned for I-20  (Read 420 times)

afguy

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 02:41:20 AM
Movable, toll ‘zipper’ lane planned for I-20
« on: October 09, 2019, 08:24:48 AM »

The article is from last year, I'm surprised it didn't get more press...
Plans by state transportation officials to install “movable” toll lanes to reduce morning gridlock along I-20 in South DeKalb are being praised by some but also renewing questions about whether the long-promised MARTA rail line along the corridor will ever become a reality.

On June 14, the Georgia Department of Transportation sent a letter to DeKalb County commissioners, informing them that it intends to construct “a tolled movable vehicle barrier separated lane on I-20 westbound from Panola Road to Columbia Drive” – a 5.2-mile stretch of the highway.
www.crossroadsnews.com/news/local/movable-toll-zipper-lane-planned-for-i/article_0941bb0e-7992-11e8-9439-8b12bf782ccb.html

Eth

• Last Login: Today at 08:37:15 AM
Re: Movable, toll ‘zipper’ lane planned for I-20
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »

Interesting. I've only seen this used in one other place: Interstate H1 on the west side of Honolulu. Hard to say how well it worked, as there was also ongoing construction at the time I was driving through.

US 81

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 05:11:13 PM
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »

Dallas has (or at least had) one on I-30. I used to drive thru the area in the 1990's (IIRC) and the machine was often not working for whatever reason. It felt like such a boondoggle at the time. It was pretty cool to watch the zipper machine in action.

From a very cursory glance on line, looks like it's still in use.

Georgia

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 11:18:37 PM
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 07:11:10 PM »

Doesnt the Golden Gate bridge have a movable barrier?

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 11:51:43 AM
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 07:15:05 PM »

Dallas has (or at least had) one on I-30. I used to drive thru the area in the 1990's (IIRC) and the machine was often not working for whatever reason. It felt like such a boondoggle at the time. It was pretty cool to watch the zipper machine in action.

From a very cursory glance on line, looks like it's still in use.
Drove in on I-30 this summer, and it was being used for outbound traffic during PM rush hour. Assume it reverses in the AM for inbound traffic.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 11:51:43 AM
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 07:15:21 PM »

Doesnt the Golden Gate bridge have a movable barrier?
Yes.

The peak direction has 4 lanes, and the off-peak direction has 2 lanes. In the AM, it faces inbound to San Francisco, and in the PM it faces outbound.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 07:18:32 PM by sprjus4 »

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 09:09:38 AM
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 09:55:59 PM »

The Walt Whitman and Ben Franklin Bridges between Philly and NJ have movable barriers that are moved twice a day: 4 lanes into Philly with 3 going into NJ on the morning...and the opposite in the afternoon. The barrier is moved either after the morning rush or mid afternoon depending on construction on the bridge during the day. At night, it's often moved just after rush hour, but if there's an Eagles game or some other big event in Philly it's moved sometime between 2 and 5am. The travel lanes right next to the barrier are kept open while the zipper machine moves the barrier.

The Commodore Barry Bridge has a zipper barrier too, but it's not moved unless necessary, usually due to construction.

kendancy66

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 12:57:49 AM
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 11:40:01 PM »

The Coronado Bridge in San Diego has a movable barrier.  It alternates 2 and 3 lanes in each direction

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:51 AM
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 12:10:25 AM »

Although it was temporary, I-15 had one of these north of Salt Lake City when it was reconstructed between 2008 and 2010.
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86ID 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur

theroadwayone

• Last Login: Today at 03:09:47 AM
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 01:35:43 AM »

The Coronado Bridge in San Diego has a movable barrier.  It alternates 2 and 3 lanes in each direction
There's also one on the I-15 fast lanes north of SD. It alternates three southbound lanes in the morning, two lanes each way all other times.

• Last Login: Today at 09:29:54 AM
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »

Chicago did this decades ago on Lake Shore Drive and on some arterials. The arterial lane changes were directed by overhead been and red lights over the lanes.
LSD lanes were separated by little concrete lane barriers that would come up and down out of the road between the lanes.
The problem was they were only a foot high and drivers would cross them and there were lots of deadly crashes.
That isn't the issue here but a five mile moving operation might cause it's own traffic issues?

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 09:09:38 AM
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 10:19:38 AM »

Chicago did this decades ago on Lake Shore Drive and on some arterials. The arterial lane changes were directed by overhead been and red lights over the lanes.
LSD lanes were separated by little concrete lane barriers that would come up and down out of the road between the lanes.
The problem was they were only a foot high and drivers would cross them and there were lots of deadly crashes.
That isn't the issue here but a five mile moving operation might cause it's own traffic issues?

The machine runs about 5 mph or so, so you're talking about an hour's time.  While there may be some traffic issues at first as traffic slows down to watch the machine, or the agency closes the lane of traffic close to the machine, over time the congestion clears up as people get used to the equipment and lane closures aren't necessary.  The worst is if the machine breaks down and they can't repair it in time, which is why moving the barrier just after traffic subsides is better than moving the barrier just before the lane is needed, as there's time to make the repairs.

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: October 14, 2019, 03:16:34 PM
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 01:32:58 PM »

Outside of this toll zipper lane, are there any plans to eventually add full two-way managed lanes to the Interstate 20 corridor (such as one or two toll lanes in each direction)? Or would right-of-way impacts be too great for such an endeavor?

Georgia

• Last Login: October 16, 2019, 11:18:37 PM
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 11:22:17 PM »

Outside of this toll zipper lane, are there any plans to eventually add full two-way managed lanes to the Interstate 20 corridor (such as one or two toll lanes in each direction)? Or would right-of-way impacts be too great for such an endeavor?

There are no plans for tolls on I-20 as far as I know and ,even if there were, GDOT would probably only put 1 lane each direction  :banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.