News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Local/regional store chains you wish were nationwide?

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 07, 2019, 04:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 13, 2019, 07:17:04 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 13, 2019, 05:07:59 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on November 12, 2019, 09:14:25 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2019, 11:47:54 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 11, 2019, 08:35:58 PM
I don't understand the love for Menards.  It has been years since I have been in one, but the one in Superior, WI just sold cheap junk.  Good place to buy simple Christmas ornaments, I suppose...

Never been in one, but they're a hardware/lumber big-box like Lowe's or Home Depot, right?
From what I understand they have been planning a store in Bowling Green for awhile that is not too far from you. Right now Menards only 2 Kentucky locations are in Owensboro and Florence.

I'm closer to Florence than Bowling Green. I don't get to Florence real often, but now that you mention it, I think they may have taken over a location that Builders Square once had when it went under.

Wait-the Louisville store hasnt been built yet?

I don't know. I try to avoid that cesspool of a city at all costs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: hbelkins on November 14, 2019, 11:59:57 PM
Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 13, 2019, 07:17:04 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 13, 2019, 05:07:59 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on November 12, 2019, 09:14:25 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2019, 11:47:54 AM
Quote from: Rothman on November 11, 2019, 08:35:58 PM
I don't understand the love for Menards.  It has been years since I have been in one, but the one in Superior, WI just sold cheap junk.  Good place to buy simple Christmas ornaments, I suppose...

Never been in one, but they're a hardware/lumber big-box like Lowe's or Home Depot, right?
From what I understand they have been planning a store in Bowling Green for awhile that is not too far from you. Right now Menards only 2 Kentucky locations are in Owensboro and Florence.

I'm closer to Florence than Bowling Green. I don't get to Florence real often, but now that you mention it, I think they may have taken over a location that Builders Square once had when it went under.

Wait-the Louisville store hasnt been built yet?

I don't know. I try to avoid that cesspool of a city at all costs.

You avoid Louisville, saying it's a cesspool......yet you live in Kentucky. Pot kettle black?
(And before I get skewered, I do not condone moving to or living in North Carolina. We too full. Charlotte does not need to be Atlanta 2.0. We're the state that even Kentucky and West Virginia laughs at. See: I-73 & 74)
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

hotdogPi

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on November 15, 2019, 12:17:46 AM
You avoid Louisville, saying it's a cesspool......yet you live in Kentucky. Pot kettle black?

It's to be expected, just like how Upstate New York hates NYC or how Downstate Illinois hates Chicago.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Rothman

Quote from: 1 on November 15, 2019, 05:43:46 AM

It's to be expected, just like how Upstate New York hates NYC or how Downstate Illinois hates Chicago.
What's weird in NY is the hate towards NYC isn't universal upstate.  Sure, there are some big pockets where it exists, but in my experience in the Capital District, people are mostly just accept its existence.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on November 15, 2019, 07:31:16 AM
Quote from: 1 on November 15, 2019, 05:43:46 AM
What's weird in NY is the hate towards NYC isn't universal upstate.  Sure, there are some big pockets where it exists, but in my experience in the Capital District, people are mostly just accept its existence.

I think in Western New York in particular (west of I-81), the general vibe is that we are entirely ignored by downstate.
And honestly, hate is one of the only effective responses to being ignored.  :)

Less so in Albany for at least two reasons: (1) It's the seat of state government, (2) It's closer to NYC, and even on the way to a major NYC vacation destination.

vdeane

Closer to NYC is right.  If you increased the frequency of the Amtrak trains or extended Metro North we'd probably become a suburb of it.  As it is, we're on the edge of the part of the Empire line where travel by train is an easy and practical alternative to driving.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ce929wax

I'm not that keen on Detroit, but I still live in Michigan.   I don't like Detroit (or any downtown area) mainly because people will hassle you for cigarettes/food/money etc.  I hate being asked for things by strangers, and (probably is a character flaw) I don't like beggars that much. 

renegade

Quote from: ce929wax on November 16, 2019, 11:58:25 PM
I'm not that keen on Detroit, but I still live in Michigan.   I don't like Detroit (or any downtown area) mainly because people will hassle you for cigarettes/food/money etc.  I hate being asked for things by strangers, and (probably is a character flaw) I don't like beggars that much.
I'm not crazy about the beggars either, but I tend to just walk past them when I'm in downtown Detroit.  I went to a concert once when iI had to stand in line for a few minutes,  when a beggar came along with his hand out.  I ignored him, but the guy behind me dug into his pocket and gave him all his change, saying "There.  I just got rid of him!"

Less than two minutes later, there were about thirty beggars, coming around the corner ...

:-D
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.