News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 12, 2021, 03:31:21 PM
What I don't understand is how some people will constantly spew profanities, like every third word, yet if someone else curses at them or gives them the finger, they go absolutely ballistic claiming to be mortally offended by it.

Could just be hypocrisy, but could also be the nuance of who the profanity is directed to. I'm generally pretty liberal with my use of swear words, but they're generally only used as an intensifier or directed to an inanimate object ("I'm running so fucking late because my printer is a piece of shit"). But if someone were to yell "fuck you" at me and give me the finger, I'd probably be pretty upset.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Yea, a juicy word that is losing its punch due to over and mis-use.

:no:

There is a reason why some of us strive to protect those words!

And don't get me started on what is in the lyrics of some of those popular (c)raps....

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

Cursing doesn't bother me as much as cuss-word substitutes as attention grabbers in situations when it's not acceptable, like one TV ad that went like this:

"Let's talk about the F-word!"

*crowd gasps and screen shows some cute animals staring in horror*

"No, not that F-word!"

There was also some (defunct, as I understand it) grocery store whose jingle touted how "F'n easy" they were to shop at. For some reason these really annoy me. You're not funny or clever and it just sounds like your ad agency script writers and sales staff can't be creative enough to not sound like a parent pretending their 10-year old doesn't already know what the minced oath "effing" refers to. Even though I cuss plenty myself, I just roll my eyes at things like this.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 13, 2021, 01:14:29 AM
There was also some (defunct, as I understand it) grocery store whose jingle touted how "F'n easy" they were to shop at. For some reason these really annoy me. You're not funny or clever and it just sounds like your ad agency script writers and sales staff can't be creative enough to not sound like a parent pretending their 10-year old doesn't already know what the minced oath "effing" refers to. Even though I cuss plenty myself, I just roll my eyes at things like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8enIDEKrzA

CNGL-Leudimin

The new vans of the Spanish post. They say on the side (translated from Spanish) "This van is green". I should note that "green" is in the sense of "ecological" (as they are electric vans), as otherwise they are yellow.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JoePCool14

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 12, 2021, 12:57:37 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2021, 10:57:12 AM
People who drop F-bombs in work presentations without knowing their audience. (Or, really, go on cursing sprees in public in general).

Not only is it unprofessional, but you never know who might be offended.

I attended a meeting a few years ago during which one of the presenters to a small group dropped an F-bomb. Half the audience was female, there were several devoutly religious people in the room, one ordained minister and one lay minister. I thought it was terribly inappropriate.

There is a tremendous amount of open cursing (particularly F-bombing) in society now.  It makes me sad.  A lot of it has to do with so many entertainment platforms with no censoring regulations.  F-bombs are now everywhere to everyone, including young children.  Between TikTok and streaming shows, it's common place, causing everyone to have no filter.  Yes, those words were always there years ago, but because of large amounts of censorship and down right better manners, people would save the inappropriate words for situations where there were only 1 or 2 adults in a room.  It drives me crazy that so many of these stupid TikTok videos the girls in my house love to watch have so many F-bombs in them.  What happened to society? Cursing used to be something that had an effect only because it was used sparingly.  Now it just comes off as oafishly rude.

I agree. I blame social media for it, and also platforms like Netflix. I watched a trailer for Drive to Survive, their show based on retelling current seasons of Formula 1, and one of the ones I watched (can't remember which one) had at least half a dozen f-bombs in two minutes. It felt incredibly gratuitous and made me not want to watch it. And TikTok is the worst social media platform currently online. It promotes so much awful behavior beyond excessive profanity.

People in my age group (high school and now college) use them way too much. It's not just f-bombs either, it's the whole spectrum of them. You can also blame games like Cards Against Humanity as well, which is obviously built on crude humor.

I've had to watch myself, because I have days where I get too careless, and I have to realize that it's completely unnecessary.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

jeffandnicole

Usage of the F word was in all-too-common use way before Tik-tok, Netflix and Facebook. It just makes hearing it all the more common.

The downfall goes back earlier than that, when it was determined that its use falls under free speech, especially by kids in school.  And then when kids learned that their parents wouldn't punish them, or even encourage it, then it makes them just continues to push the boundaries of when and where they can say it, and to whom.

See also: MILF

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 13, 2021, 01:14:29 AM
Cursing doesn't bother me as much as cuss-word substitutes as attention grabbers in situations when it's not acceptable, like one TV ad that went like this:

"Let's talk about the F-word!"

*crowd gasps and screen shows some cute animals staring in horror*

"No, not that F-word!"

^^This

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years.  It is so gimmicky and obvious that all you are doing is piggy backing on the vulgarity, but "keeping it clean".

booking.com had commercials that said "It's so booking easy to book a great booking hotel."
O.com had commercials with gratuitus and salacious ways to say "O".
My wife and I bought a wall decoration for the RV that said "Beach please"  I thought it just mean we wanted to travel to the beach until one day I realized it was a euphuism for "Bitch, please",

Although, I sadly did laugh at the Kmart commercials "Ship my Pants" and "Big Gas Prices".  I mainly loved the comedic timing and rapid fire dialog. 

Mike2357

One thing about highway exits that annoys me so much is when they have Exit 7A and then 7..etc instead of just using another number. I understand the point of having "7N-S" but when the exits are to two completely different highways, there is no point in using the same number with a million different letters. And even when they do the north-south labeling, they usually just skip the next number anyway to compensate, so why not just do 27, 28, and 29, instead of 27N, 27S, and then 29!? That's so confusing and unnecessary. Also, why does every long island highway start at Exit 13? No wonder there are so many accidents on 495 and the SS PKWY. The beautiful interstate highway system should use every beautiful number in the base 10 math system, once and only once with no letters!
Interstate Highways are what define the United States of America

1995hoo

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 12:13:04 PM
One thing about highway exits that annoys me so much is when they have Exit 7A and then 7..etc instead of just using another number. I understand the point of having "7N-S" but when the exits are to two completely different highways, there is no point in using the same number with a million different letters. And even when they do the north-south labeling, they usually just skip the next number anyway to compensate, so why not just do 27, 28, and 29, instead of 27N, 27S, and then 29!? That's so confusing and unnecessary. Also, why does every long island highway start at Exit 13? No wonder there are so many accidents on 495 and the SS PKWY. The beautiful interstate highway system should use every beautiful number in the base 10 math system, once and only once with no letters!

No, they shouldn't use "every number" if it's not necessary to do so. There's no reason why exit numbering can't omit numbers (such as how I-95 near where I live has Exits 166, 169, 170, 173, 174, 176, and 177, in that order northbound). Your state's stubborn refusal to use proper mile-based exit numbering is why you have the problem of suffixed exit numbers when they need to insert a new number in between sequential numbers (such as on the northbound Thruway when it goes 21, 21B, 21A, 22) and they don't want to renumber all the other interchanges on that highway. If they had numbered the exits using mileposts, they wouldn't have that problem.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mike2357

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 13, 2021, 12:35:27 PM

No, they shouldn't use "every number" if it's not necessary to do so. There's no reason why exit numbering can't omit numbers (such as how I-95 near where I live has Exits 166, 169, 170, 173, 174, 176, and 177, in that order northbound). Your state's stubborn refusal to use proper mile-based exit numbering is why you have the problem of suffixed exit numbers when they need to insert a new number in between sequential numbers (such as on the northbound Thruway when it goes 21, 21B, 21A, 22) and they don't want to renumber all the other interchanges on that highway. If they had numbered the exits using mileposts, they wouldn't have that problem.

I know they are supposed be based on mile markers, and yes it wouldn't be as big a deal if they used the next number in addition to using the N-S/W-E but skipping numbers like that is totally unacceptable.

Scott5114

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 01:19:20 PM

I know they are supposed be based on mile markers, and yes it wouldn't be as big a deal if they used the next number in addition to using the N-S/W-E but skipping numbers like that is totally unacceptable.

You know that skipping numbers (as they do when they're based on mile markers) means they don't have to use suffix letters, right?

formulanone

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 13, 2021, 08:17:44 AM
I agree. I blame social media for it, and also platforms like Netflix. I watched a trailer for Drive to Survive, their show based on retelling current seasons of Formula 1, and one of the ones I watched (can't remember which one) had at least half a dozen f-bombs in two minutes. It felt incredibly gratuitous and made me not want to watch it.

As a fan, it's interesting to see another side to the sport, but it seems as if they purposely edited to find the exact moments where they'd cursed and used that. It gets a little petulant after a while...but what do you expect from a bunch of adrenaline junkies who are mostly in the ages of 19-25, and have to toe the corporate sponsors' line in nearly every other circumstance?

Then again, I'm quite sure that 95% of their radio conversation wouldn't be all that interesting; mostly a discussion of time intervals, to 'keep pushing', pit strategy, change brake bias settings, manage fuel loads, watch temperatures, keeping delta times behind the safety car...which isn't interesting to most people without any meaningful context.

So yeah, it bothers me a little too, but they're not apt to quoting Shakespeare and Twain with barely a high school education inside the helmet...while things start to go wrong during a pulse rate over 140, and their job (or possibly their lives) are on the line.

JoePCool14

Quote from: formulanone on August 13, 2021, 02:10:05 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 13, 2021, 08:17:44 AM
I agree. I blame social media for it, and also platforms like Netflix. I watched a trailer for Drive to Survive, their show based on retelling current seasons of Formula 1, and one of the ones I watched (can't remember which one) had at least half a dozen f-bombs in two minutes. It felt incredibly gratuitous and made me not want to watch it.

As a fan, it's interesting to see another side to the sport, but it seems as if they purposely edited to find the exact moments where they'd cursed and used that. It gets a little petulant after a while...but what do you expect from a bunch of adrenaline junkies who are mostly in the ages of 19-25, and have to toe the corporate sponsors' line in nearly every other circumstance?

Then again, I'm quite sure that 95% of their radio conversation wouldn't be all that interesting; mostly a discussion of time intervals, to 'keep pushing', pit strategy, change brake bias settings, manage fuel loads, watch temperatures, keeping delta times behind the safety car...which isn't interesting to most people without any meaningful context.

So yeah, it bothers me a little too, but they're not apt to quoting Shakespeare and Twain with barely a high school education inside the helmet...while things start to go wrong during a pulse rate over 140, and their job (or possibly their lives) are on the line.

There are instances of them inserting quotes in the wrong places to add drama. For example, I watched a clip of Grosjean's fireball crash from last year. They added this really awkward clip of him saying the f-world before slamming into the wall, when im pretty sure he didn't actually say that on radio in that moment. And even if he did, it's not necessary to have it there.

There are many reasons I'm okay with skipping the show. I much prefer analysis from YouTubers online.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Speaking of profanity and minor things that bother me...

It bothers me that, if I tell Alexa to "play _______ music", my young children end up listening to music with profanity in it.  I guess I expect Alexa to be more like the radio and filter that stuff out.

Also:  Never, ever, ever, for the love of God and your own soul, never tell Alexa to "play Christmas hip-hop music".    * shudder *
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 01:19:20 PM

Insofar as I'm aware, most states long ago stopped using the N/S/E/W suffixes in favor of A/B/C/D suffixes.

Mike2357

And there's no reason for any highway to start at a number other than 1 (or 0) so the long island expressway has no reason to start at 13, the queens midtown tunnel is certainly not 13 miles long! Same with the SSP

oscar

Quote from: Mike2357 on August 13, 2021, 04:19:02 PM
And there's no reason for any highway to start at a number other than 1 (or 0) so the long island expressway has no reason to start at 13, the queens midtown tunnel is certainly not 13 miles long! Same with the SSP

Alaska and Arizona have some milepost and/or exit numbers starting higher than 1. For example, the starting milepost for Alaska state route 2 is 1187, based on the historical distance between the international border and the beginning of the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek BC. There are good reasons for Alaska not to reset to zero, such as that mileposts are used for rural street addresses.

You should be careful with the sweeping statements, at least until your experience becomes equally sweeping.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

I'd rather have a "zero point" be higher than zero, than have two same-numbered exits in close proximity (on different highways).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jmacswimmer

I'm pretty sure both those routes have specific reasons for starting at not-zero that involve the Mid-Manhattan Expressway & Cross Island Parkway, respectively. (In other words, it wasn't planners arbitrarily deciding they liked the number 13 like you make it sound :-D)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mike2357

I understand the mid-manhattan EXPWY problem, but the cross island parkway just continues the numbering from the Belt parkway, not the southern state. I could be wrong but don't ever remember seeing mileposts on the SSP

1995hoo

I don't agree with that. I-66's first exit is Exit 6 because it's six miles east of where the road begins at I-81. I-95's first exit in Virginia is Exit 4 because it's four miles north of the North Carolina state line.

Why do you think exit numbering should always start at 1 or 0?

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2021, 03:07:47 PM
Speaking of profanity and minor things that bother me...

It bothers me that, if I tell Alexa to "play _______ music", my young children end up listening to music with profanity in it.  I guess I expect Alexa to be more like the radio and filter that stuff out.

Also:  Never, ever, ever, for the love of God and your own soul, never tell Alexa to "play Christmas hip-hop music".    * shudder *

Run-DMC's Christmas song is about all I can take in that specific department.

Mike2357

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 13, 2021, 05:13:57 PM

I don't agree with that. I-66's first exit is Exit 6 because it's six miles east of where the road begins at I-81. I-95's first exit in Virginia is Exit 4 because it's four miles north of the North Carolina state line.

Why do you think exit numbering should always start at 1 or 0?

I stated earlier it wouldn't be a problem if the exits matched the mile markers, but that is not the case with the highways mentioned. And one of the highways mentioned didn't have any precursor planning that could explain it either. The beginning of the Southern State may be 13 miles from the Jersey Border (probably more because just cutting straight across Brooklyn from Red Hook to Conduit Avenue via route 27 took 15 miles once) but it should be based on how many miles away from the beginning of the highway the exit is, not the distance to a nearby state line.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on August 13, 2021, 03:07:47 PM

And honestly, I'm glad it doesn't. If I want to listen to filtered music, I will turn on something governed by the FCC. The best thing about the internet is being able to choose your limits. I don't want a company doing that for me.

If the Alexa app doesn't allow you to filter music, or request non-explicit music, that should be a feature. But it should not be the default.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.